In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 am

valley splitter wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
ChEsteve wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic but can any of you speak on the chances of doing patent work in LA after attending Santa Clara. Thanks!!


Do you have a physical science degree? Because otherwise you can't sit for the patent bar. (Something I didn't know for a long time)

Idk about LA exactly, but I know a patent attorney from AZ who went to SCU, so I'm sure they move around.


Not quite accurate. You can fulfill the requirements to sit for the patent bar exam through other methods besides having a degree in science or engineering. Just take enough science units and you become eligible, something you can do at a community college as long as you take courses that count towards a science major. I've posted the link below (there are different combinations of hours and subjects available)

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb.pdf




Thanks! That is some of the best news I've heard in a while. I'd been told by several people that you needed an actual BA.

Does anyone know how many semester classes 30 credit hours is? My UG used a weird system.

User avatar
ChEsteve
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby ChEsteve » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
ChEsteve wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic but can any of you speak on the chances of doing patent work in LA after attending Santa Clara. Thanks!!


Do you have a physical science degree? Because otherwise you can't sit for the patent bar. (Something I didn't know for a long time)

Idk about LA exactly, but I know a patent attorney from AZ who went to SCU, so I'm sure they move around.


Thanks... yea I qualify under catagory A. I'm interested in this school for its high tech law program, however I'm not quite sure how santa clara students place in the LA area :?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby superflush » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Does anyone know how many semester classes 30 credit hours is? My UG used a weird system.


30 credits is 1 year (2 semesters).

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:48 am

superflush wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Does anyone know how many semester classes 30 credit hours is? My UG used a weird system.


30 credits is 1 year (2 semesters).


Of full time school? Not just two semester classes right?

Cause then that's terrible news. :( You could do a post-bac for medical school in that time.

santacruz143
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby santacruz143 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Did anyone who's status changed on 3/19 receive a letter? I am anxious and still stuck "in committee" :?

rossoneri13
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby rossoneri13 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 pm

santacruz143 wrote:Did anyone who's status changed on 3/19 receive a letter? I am anxious and still stuck "in committee" :?


Yep, just got dinged.

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby J Burrito » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Touring SCU on Friday. Anyone else planning on being there?

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby dalancas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby CmonSD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:32 pm

dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 pm

J Burrito wrote:Touring SCU on Friday. Anyone else planning on being there?


flight reimbursement?

santacruz143
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby santacruz143 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:51 pm

CmonSD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.


I checked the Santa Clara website, I am worried about the seat deposits too, and it says, "Please note that these deposit deadlines may differ, especially if you were accepted near or after the listed deadline dates"

At least some good news...

User avatar
christine2013
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby christine2013 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:54 pm

CmonSD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.





The same thing happened to me - 2nd review since 3/5 - I am starting to check every day I just want an answer!!! LOL

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby CmonSD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm

christine2013 wrote:
CmonSD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.





The same thing happened to me - 2nd review since 3/5 - I am starting to check every day I just want an answer!!! LOL


haha I have been checking it every single day (multiple times a day mind you) since December. I am sooooo tired of seeing it say the same thing!

User avatar
christine2013
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby christine2013 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:10 pm

CmonSD wrote:
christine2013 wrote:
CmonSD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.





The same thing happened to me - 2nd review since 3/5 - I am starting to check every day I just want an answer!!! LOL


haha I have been checking it every single day (multiple times a day mind you) since December. I am sooooo tired of seeing it say the same thing!



Dude...well good luck to you :) ....I hope it changes soon.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby superflush » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:11 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
superflush wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Does anyone know how many semester classes 30 credit hours is? My UG used a weird system.


30 credits is 1 year (2 semesters).


Of full time school? Not just two semester classes right?

Cause then that's terrible news. :( You could do a post-bac for medical school in that time.


Okay, I'll start from the beginning. In America, for most colleges that are on a semester system:
You need 120 credits to graduate
Which amounts to 30 credits per year
Which generally means 15 credits per semester
Classes are generally 3 credits, so you tend to take 5 classes per semester.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 pm

superflush wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
superflush wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Does anyone know how many semester classes 30 credit hours is? My UG used a weird system.


30 credits is 1 year (2 semesters).


Of full time school? Not just two semester classes right?

Cause then that's terrible news. :( You could do a post-bac for medical school in that time.


Okay, I'll start from the beginning. In America, for most colleges that are on a semester system:
You need 120 credits to graduate
Which amounts to 30 credits per year
Which generally means 15 credits per semester
Classes are generally 3 credits, so you tend to take 5 classes per semester.


no wonder my gpa's so low. all 4 credits (unless special, then 6 or 2)... 132 (I think?) to graduate.

sykopoet
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby sykopoet » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm

So far everyone I've seen who had a letter mailed 3/19 has been rejected. Haven't gotten my letter yet. I went home for lunch but my mailman was working his way up the opposite side of the street and I had to leave before he got to my building. I wonder if he knows how many times I have wanted to kill him in the last six months, even though all this admissions frustration is in no way his fault. I'm pretty sure my letter will be waiting when I get home but I'm not expecting to get in.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

My mailing list on the status checker says Decision Mailed 3/22 but my status still says this:

Current Status: In Committee
Current Status Date: 2/22/2010

Any ideas what this might mean?

Anyone else get their decision mailed today?

jpla
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jpla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

still in committee, but says decision letter sent today. deposits at zero, cant remember if they were even listed before letter was sent? anyone who had zeros for deposits get in?

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby dalancas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 pm

CmonSD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Even after the movement on 3/19... I am still "In Committee" circa 2/22.


When did you apply? I was "in committee" since 12/8 and now I have been in "2nd review" since 3/5. My interest in SCU is dwindling.......expecially with seat deposits due soon.


LOL I submitted my application to SCU on November 9th 2009. Keep in mind that it went complete well before 11/24 (the application complete deadline for Early Application consideration). It is kind of funny that if I had submitted my app about a week before or so I might have actually known before Christmas.

I totally agree with you CMONSD about the whole dwindling interest thing. I have been pretty disappointed in the way that both Santa Clara and San Diego have handled things.

BTW did you do your undergrad in San Diego?

EDIT: just checked it and it says that my decision letter was sent out today. The deposits are still set at ZERO so it is probably a waitlist. If that is the case... I am withdrawing immediately.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Didn't want to look too far back - anyone in 2nd Review receive a decision yet?

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm

phoenix323 wrote:My mailing list on the status checker says Decision Mailed 3/22 but my status still says this:

Current Status: In Committee
Current Status Date: 2/22/2010

Any ideas what this might mean?

Anyone else get their decision mailed today?

i am in the exact same spot as you, just got home and saw decision letter sent 3/22, but still says in committee 2/22

gonna have a drink and hope we celebrate acceptances in a couple days

Image

PS - really wish I was at this beach right now

bobbycortez
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby bobbycortez » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm

jpla wrote:still in committee, but says decision letter sent today. deposits at zero, cant remember if they were even listed before letter was sent? anyone who had zeros for deposits get in?



when did you submit your app? still "in committee" since 2/5 and still no "decision mailed"

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby J Burrito » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 pm

sibley wrote:
J Burrito wrote:Touring SCU on Friday. Anyone else planning on being there?


flight reimbursement?

I wish.. I only live about 3 hours away so I'll be making the commute and spend the rest of the weekend in the Bay Area.

jpla
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jpla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

jpla wrote:still in committee, but says decision letter sent today. deposits at zero, cant remember if they were even listed before letter was sent? anyone who had zeros for deposits get in?


hmm, just checked again and they changed my status to decision mailed 3/22 and added 1st and 2nd deposits to $200 and $500.

safe to say im in?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, bakewelltart, Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, jstans, Lmorina126, neptunian, Photomike2, Why??? and 18 guests