In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quickquestionthanks

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 am

Norwood wrote:July 2009 Bar Passage for First time takers
SCU 82%
USF 81%
--LinkRemoved--

Not that huge of a difference. I'm not surprised by this, both schools do have similar qualified students despite what the difference in rankings says (which isn't much).

Oh, what I was reading was from LSAC's ABA reports and it said USF: 83% and SCU: 75%

That would be a pretty big difference, although I agree that the student body is probably not too different.

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 am

valley splitter wrote:has anyone decided to go to Santa Clara for sure yet? I want to start looking for a place to live and possibly a roommate. From my undergrad experience there, getting off-campus housing near the school (Domicilio or Park Central) can be cumbersome the closer you get to the beginning of the school year. I'm trying to figure out something for summer seeing as how I'll most likely be working around here.

barring a miracle and getting into davis i'm going to santa clara, placed my seat deposit and everything. i've looked into the apartments provided by scu and it looks like they cost around $1,000 a month in addition to living with a roommate. if anything, i'll probably try for the scu-provided apartments or park central since they seem to be a little cheaper than domicilio. my main issue is that options such as park central are on a 12-month lease, and i intend on studying abroad the summer after 1st year, which could pose some conflicts.

sapp

Postby sapp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 pm

I first went in review 8 weeks ago. Then my In Review date changed to a date thats 4 weeks ago.

Is this normal or the unofficial waitlist? Should I call/email them or just chill and wait a bit longer?

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:37 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:48 pm

cyberPUNK wrote:
valley splitter wrote:has anyone decided to go to Santa Clara for sure yet? I want to start looking for a place to live and possibly a roommate. From my undergrad experience there, getting off-campus housing near the school (Domicilio or Park Central) can be cumbersome the closer you get to the beginning of the school year. I'm trying to figure out something for summer seeing as how I'll most likely be working around here.

barring a miracle and getting into davis i'm going to santa clara, placed my seat deposit and everything. i've looked into the apartments provided by scu and it looks like they cost around $1,000 a month in addition to living with a roommate. if anything, i'll probably try for the scu-provided apartments or park central since they seem to be a little cheaper than domicilio. my main issue is that options such as park central are on a 12-month lease, and i intend on studying abroad the summer after 1st year, which could pose some conflicts.

Yeah, I doubt I will consider the on-campus apartments. First, the school knows I'm local so they assume I already have housing or can easily get it. Second, I've seen some of those places and for about $1000/month I know I can get MUCH better. The only place I would consider living would be Sobrato Hall (lived there sophomore year) but they got rid of graduate housing there. I think I will most likely end up at Domicilio. Park Centrals are ok but for a little more money you can get so much more. Still up in the air seeing as how it's only March, but trying to make plans early.

shanoodle

Postby shanoodle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm

My status is currently "In Committee". Does this happen before "Under Review"?

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 am

shanoodle wrote:My status is currently "In Committee". Does this happen before "Under Review"?

If I recall, correctly (this was back in November), I believe it goes "In Committee" then "Decision Rendered."

shanoodle

Postby shanoodle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 am

valley splitter wrote:
shanoodle wrote:My status is currently "In Committee". Does this happen before "Under Review"?

If I recall, correctly (this was back in November), I believe it goes "In Committee" then "Decision Rendered."

Good to know... thank you!

foosh

Postby foosh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

"Decision Mailed" 3/19 but my deposit numbers remain $0.00. Safe to say I was rejected?

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 pm

foosh wrote:"Decision Mailed" 3/19 but my deposit numbers remain $0.00. Safe to say I was rejected?

It is a possibility, but I don't know... someone with your numbers should at least get a waitlist. Of course the longer time rolls on that I have been in committee, the less I want to attend SCU anyway.

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Decision mailed and no deposits, too.

Has anyone been accepted without the deposits being posted? Granted, my status must have literally changed within the last hour or so, because I looked earlier this morning and it was still "in committee."

foosh

Postby foosh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Yeah the GPA is killing me, and it seems that no law schools take into account undergraduate major. Bummer.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:47 pm

I wonder if they are emptying out the pool today? If I get outright rejected from Santa Clara... I will just laugh. That's about it.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:55 pm

dalancas wrote:I wonder if they are emptying out the pool today? If I get outright rejected from Santa Clara... I will just laugh. That's about it.

im still in committee 2/22, so there are still some of us still stranded in the deep end

foosh

Postby foosh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 pm

If I get rejected from Santa Clara, that doesn't bode well for GWU and Georgetown. Looks like I'll be applying another cycle. =/

mango26

Postby mango26 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by mango26 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sykopoet

Postby sykopoet » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Decision letter was mailed today!! I was in my second review starting 2/17 and now letter is in the mail. This has taken FOREVER since I submitted my application the first week in October. Hoping for the best though. Is it true that deposits at the bottom of the online status page will stay 0.00 if you are rejected or will reflect due date and amount if you're in? (obviously if I am asking this mine says 0.00 )

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

sykopoet wrote:Decision letter was mailed today!! I was in my second review starting 2/17 and now letter is in the mail. This has taken FOREVER since I submitted my application the first week in October. Hoping for the best though. Is it true that deposits at the bottom of the online status page will stay 0.00 if you are rejected or will reflect due date and amount if you're in? (obviously if I am asking this mine says 0.00 )

My deposits are still at 0.00 and DR today. I guess the question is does anyone who got a DR today have deposit info? I know earlier in the cycle they posted them, but maybe they haven't done it for this batch? No clue. And I'm dying to know...wonder how long it will take my letter to get to LA.

sapp

Postby sapp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:26 pm

CAHopeful wrote:
sykopoet wrote:Decision letter was mailed today!! I was in my second review starting 2/17 and now letter is in the mail. This has taken FOREVER since I submitted my application the first week in October. Hoping for the best though. Is it true that deposits at the bottom of the online status page will stay 0.00 if you are rejected or will reflect due date and amount if you're in? (obviously if I am asking this mine says 0.00 )

My deposits are still at 0.00 and DR today. I guess the question is does anyone who got a DR today have deposit info? I know earlier in the cycle they posted them, but maybe they haven't done it for this batch? No clue. And I'm dying to know...wonder how long it will take my letter to get to LA.

Someone should call and have this conversation:

“Hi _______. I’m calling to make sure I’m reading the application status checker correctly. If it says “Decision Rendered” and there are amounts in the seat deposit section, does this mean I got in?”

(pause for confirmation)

“And if having $0.00 in that section means I didn’t get in?”

(pause for answer)

“Okay, thanks for all your help. Have a great afternoon!”

But I believe our $0.00s mean :cry:

ChEsteve

Postby ChEsteve » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Sorry if this is a little off topic but can any of you speak on the chances of doing patent work in LA after attending Santa Clara. Thanks!!

rossoneri13

Postby rossoneri13 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:53 pm

0.0 deposits probably = waitlist or rejection imo.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 am

161/3.1 out of state. accepted with $$. likely will attend..waiting on one decision.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:48 am

uwb09 wrote:
dalancas wrote:I wonder if they are emptying out the pool today? If I get outright rejected from Santa Clara... I will just laugh. That's about it.

im still in committee 2/22, so there are still some of us still stranded in the deep end

Still in committee since 1/15.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:46 am

ChEsteve wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic but can any of you speak on the chances of doing patent work in LA after attending Santa Clara. Thanks!!

Do you have a physical science degree? Because otherwise you can't sit for the patent bar. (Something I didn't know for a long time)

Idk about LA exactly, but I know a patent attorney from AZ who went to SCU, so I'm sure they move around.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:22 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
ChEsteve wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic but can any of you speak on the chances of doing patent work in LA after attending Santa Clara. Thanks!!

Do you have a physical science degree? Because otherwise you can't sit for the patent bar. (Something I didn't know for a long time)

Idk about LA exactly, but I know a patent attorney from AZ who went to SCU, so I'm sure they move around.

Not quite accurate. You can fulfill the requirements to sit for the patent bar exam through other methods besides having a degree in science or engineering. Just take enough science units and you become eligible, something you can do at a community college as long as you take courses that count towards a science major. I've posted the link below (there are different combinations of hours and subjects available)

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb.pdf

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”