In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roofles

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby roofles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 am

sizzle04 wrote:
roofles wrote:From my minimal google-ing it seems the 2nd review is a glorified hold from santa clara. I'm guessing those of us, myself included, who are under second review are being held until after the first seat deposits are due. After the first seat deposit date, we will be informed of our actual status (please at least give me a PT offer Santa Clara :mrgreen: ).

did you apply EA and get deferred to regular admissions?

No, I applied FT/PT on the 2/1 deadline due to my last LOR being accepted by LSAC on 1/30. Santa Clara is one of my top schools. Given my engineering background and experience in the field, I want to pursue Intellectual Property law

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 am

I'm going to withdraw right now. 18k scholarship, hope it helps.

roofles

Postby roofles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:26 am

Dostoevsky wrote:I'm going to withdraw right now. 18k scholarship, hope it helps.

Thanks.

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am

I paid the seat deposit a few days ago and it still hasn't posted in the log-in screen. Anyone know how long it takes to update to show that the deposit has been paid? I also logged into E-Campus and there's no real evidence or message making it explicitly known that the deposit has been received.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Has anyone been accepted who at some point was in 2nd review? If so, that may invalidate the above theory on what a 2nd review notice means. I'm seriously bewildered at how santa clara and usd are keeping me waiting.

Jph408

Postby Jph408 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Has anyone been accepted who at some point was in 2nd review? If so, that may invalidate the above theory on what a 2nd review notice means. I'm seriously bewildered at how santa clara and usd are keeping me waiting.

When did you submit your application? If this gives you any indication of how long it takes, my application went complete on 12/04/09 and my decision was rendered on 02/12/10. Also I visited the school this week and talked to an admissions counselor. She told me on 2/1 they received 1,000 applications.

The long wait seems to be a trend this year. I'm still waiting on half of the schools I applied to, and I went complete 12/2009 on all of them.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Has anyone been accepted who at some point was in 2nd review? If so, that may invalidate the above theory on what a 2nd review notice means. I'm seriously bewildered at how santa clara and usd are keeping me waiting.

I know what you mean. I went into 2nd review in early November and have been kicked around ever since. My theory is that both Santa Clara and USD are popular safety schools... they get a disproportionate amount of people applying there -who have no intention of actually attending there. Because they want to move up in rankings, they offer seats to these people indiscriminately and end up having them vacated by mid-March when those people put in their deposits at T1 schools. They then begrudgingly accept the applicants who in fact will be the people attending the schools. So basically, it's sort of like a waitlist except it's not if you are in the gray area of acceptance/waitlist territory.

Strong case for yield protection?

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students' day tomorrow? Anyone know what to expect?

Jph408

Postby Jph408 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Cale39 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students' day tomorrow? Anyone know what to expect?

Monday, March 08, 2010

Hello!

Thank you for your RSVP for Santa Clara’s Admitted Student Law Preview Day on Saturday, March 13, 2010. We look forward to seeing you on campus! The schedule for the day is below along with parking information.

The Admitted Student Law Preview Day will give you an opportunity to hear from faculty, a financial aid counselor, current students, and alumni. A mock law class will be taught by one of our professors! We will have a Law Fair with representatives from many of our student organizations and student service offices. The day will conclude with a lunch with our professors, deans and current students and optional campus tour.

Schedule of Events

9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.

Registration & Continental Breakfast

9:15 a.m. – 9:25 a.m.

Welcome & Introductions

9:25 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

“The First Year in Law School” – Faculty Perspective

10:00 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.

Break

10:10 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.

Mock Class #1

LARAW: Professor Rachel Smith

10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

Student Panel

11:30 a.m. – 11:35 a.m.

Break

11:35 a.m. – 12:35 p.m.

Mock Class #2

Professor Allen Hammond

12:35 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Lunch with Professors, Deans & Current Students

1:30 p.m.

Law School Tours

Leaves from: The Mission Room, Benson Center 1st Floor

For your parents and partners, we will have a separate program running for them at the same time as yours. They will have a mock class and panels of interest. They will meet back up with you for lunch and campus tours!

Dress Code: Casual. Please wear comfortable shoes to enjoy the campus tour!

Campus Map: http://www.scu.edu/map/index.cfm

Directions: http://www.scu.edu/map/parking/directions.cfm

Parking: You will not need a parking permit since the event is on a Saturday. You may park in any space not designated “C” or “CW”. There is a parking structure to the left as you drive in the main entrance of campus.

Accommodations: We have negotiated a special rate at the Candlewood Suites Silicon Valley/San Jose. The hotel is right across the street from campus. The rate is $79.99/night for Friday or Saturday night. To take advantage of this great offer, please call the hotel to reserve your room at 1-888-226-3539 and mention the “Santa Clara Admitted Student Event”.

If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation, please contact Annemarie Der at 408-554-5048 or ader@scu.edu at least 72 hours prior to the event

If you have any questions about this event, please contact our office at LawAdmissions@scu.edu or 408-554-5048.

Regards,

The Law Admissions Team

ChEsteve

Postby ChEsteve » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:20 pm

how was the law preview on saturday?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Dean's Fellow Full Scholarship via email just now!! Auto-renewal (no top 33% requirement like the Emery).

Boy, this adds an interesting twist to my cycle.

I was just about to withdraw from Santa Clara, but decided to call them one last time, and they ended up squeezing in an interview with me for last Friday. It was supposed to be on skype, but I couldn't get that working and it ended up being a phone interview. I thought I babbled and stammered a bit too much, but apparently not. I've got some (much) higher ranked schools with similar offers, but the location and social justice focus are extremely appealing.

Anyone else on TLS get a Dean's Fellow??

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 pm

dalancas wrote:

I know what you mean. I went into 2nd review in early November and have been kicked around ever since. My theory is that both Santa Clara and USD are popular safety schools... they get a disproportionate amount of people applying there -who have no intention of actually attending there. Because they want to move up in rankings, they offer seats to these people indiscriminately and end up having them vacated by mid-March when those people put in their deposits at T1 schools. They then begrudgingly accept the applicants who in fact will be the people attending the schools. So basically, it's sort of like a waitlist except it's not if you are in the gray area of acceptance/waitlist territory.

Strong case for yield protection?

Maybe it is yield protect but I doubt it. I have a 169 for LSAT but a sub 3 gpa. I think I may have overvalued my 169 and just assumed schools such as SC would jump at the chance to admit me, but Im rethinking things now. Oh, and my personal statement was VERY risky, a love it or hate it type essay. The way my cycle is going, Im not sure too many schools love it...oh well, the world needs ditch diggers too.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Dean's Fellow Full Scholarship via email just now!! Auto-renewal (no top 33% requirement like the Emery).

Boy, this adds an interesting twist to my cycle.

I was just about to withdraw from Santa Clara, but decided to call them one last time, and they ended up squeezing in an interview with me for last Friday. It was supposed to be on skype, but I couldn't get that working and it ended up being a phone interview. I thought I babbled and stammered a bit too much, but apparently not. I've got some (much) higher ranked schools with similar offers, but the location and social justice focus are extremely appealing.

Anyone else on TLS get a Dean's Fellow??

wow. I thought it was just a scam to get us to submit a seat deposit.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Interviewed for Dean's Fellow on Friday as well (in person). Haven't heard back (bad news?). Quick question, did you already submit your seat deposit? I've been holding off until the April 1st deadline...maybe I should go ahead and throw it in there haha.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:24 am

I did not submit a seat deposit. I was told they'd be sending out emails regarding the Dean's Fellows towards the end of the week, and I received my email right at the end of the day today. So, I would say don't worry yet.

As a side note, I am amazed at how pricey apartments in the San Jose area are.

jpla

Postby jpla » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:25 pm

went in committee on 2/22. whats the average wait time to hear back? working with a 161/3.3, what do my chances look like?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 pm

jpla wrote:went in committee on 2/22. whats the average wait time to hear back? working with a 161/3.3, what do my chances look like?

Mine went in on 2/11. Then the date changed to 3/4 but still says In Committee. So...at least another 10 days? :)

Similar numbers, I'd say pretty good overall. Check out the second page of this PDF.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC4851.pdf

I think more people should evaluate this data.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... hools.aspx

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
jpla wrote:went in committee on 2/22. whats the average wait time to hear back? working with a 161/3.3, what do my chances look like?

Mine went in on 2/11. Then the date changed to 3/4 but still says In Committee. So...at least another 10 days? :)

Similar numbers, I'd say pretty good overall. Check out the second page of this PDF.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC4851.pdf

I think more people should evaluate this data.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... hools.aspx

Is the LSAC data that recent?

BTW, I'm surprised - USF has a better bar passage rate than SCU...

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 am

Great Satchmo wrote:Is the LSAC data that recent?

Hmm...l'm not sure. I'd believe it if you said schools had an incentive not to update their reports.

Their student profile really isn't that different, but those bar passages numbers certainly are. That is interesting.

Edit: my theory is that USF students study harder knowing that the competition will be stiffer in San Fran as a USF student than it would be as a Santa Clara student in the South Bay.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Is the LSAC data that recent?

Hmm...l'm not sure. I'd believe it if you said schools had an incentive not to update their reports.

Their student profile really isn't that different, but those bar passages numbers certainly are. That is interesting.

Edit: my theory is that USF students study harder knowing that the competition will be stiffer in San Fran as a USF student than it would be as a Santa Clara student in the South Bay.

July 2009 Bar Passage for First time takers
SCU 82%
USF 81%
--LinkRemoved--

Not that huge of a difference. I'm not surprised by this, both schools do have similar qualified students despite what the difference in rankings says (which isn't much).

gords329

Postby gords329 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

I just withdrew. Had 11k/yr scholly offer. Good luck to all who are still waiting for a decision.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Has anyone received a decision lately??

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 pm

i am in 2nd review... applied in the beginning of november :?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:i am in 2nd review... applied in the beginning of november :?

Yea me too. Complete 12/8. They seem to be pretty quiet since Febraury.....maybe we will hear soon.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:30 am

has anyone decided to go to Santa Clara for sure yet? I want to start looking for a place to live and possibly a roommate. From my undergrad experience there, getting off-campus housing near the school (Domicilio or Park Central) can be cumbersome the closer you get to the beginning of the school year. I'm trying to figure out something for summer seeing as how I'll most likely be working around here.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”