In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
traehekat

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating money with SCU? Any success?

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Does anyone know how many people they consider for the full-ride fellowship? I got an e-mail about it the other day, that they'd be contacting people no earlier than Feb 12th for interviews. The e-mail was kind of strange, it didn't really offer any information and then asked me to make a tuition deposit as soon as possible. If they won't consider me for the fellowship unless I put up the deposit, that's kinda screwed up.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

traehekat wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating money with SCU? Any success?

I'm trying, but so far I'm getting nowhere.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:31 pm

traehekat wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating money with SCU? Any success?

ha, we were talking about this above.
I think the consensus if that you can't really leverage better scholly offers with them, (although you could appeal for need-based aid).

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:40 pm

bluejayk wrote:Does anyone know how many people they consider for the full-ride fellowship? I got an e-mail about it the other day, that they'd be contacting people no earlier than Feb 12th for interviews. The e-mail was kind of strange, it didn't really offer any information and then asked me to make a tuition deposit as soon as possible. If they won't consider me for the fellowship unless I put up the deposit, that's kinda screwed up.

+1

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Withdrawing with $$. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

twert

Postby twert » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

yo! wrote:Withdrawing with $$. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

me too. good luck people.

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:15 pm

twert wrote:
yo! wrote:Withdrawing with $$. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

me too. good luck people.

I also withdrawing with $$. Good luck.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Received the eCampus email just a few minutes ago. Still no admissions packet in the mail, but I am assume I've been accepted.

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi all,

Just got a "Decision Mailed" in my status checker this morning, but my deposits section is still zeroed out..does this mean rejection? bummed out =/

thanks for the feedback

UGHilbert

Postby UGHilbert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm

vacations wrote:Hi all,

Just got a "Decision Mailed" in my status checker this morning, but my deposits section is still zeroed out..does this mean rejection? bummed out =/

thanks for the feedback

Thus far, it has meant an incoming rejection. However, it could be that they just spent the weekend fixing the epic fail that is the "deposit amount acceptance". Good luck.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Officially in with $11,000 Emery Scholarship via snail mail.

Does anyone know whether or not the Emery Scholarships are over the course of three years or if it is per year? Either way I am a little disappointed, as I have received much more money from schools like DePaul and Loyola, but not really surprised because I don't know anyone who has received a ton of money from SCU.

Pretty sure I will be withdrawing, so good luck to everyone still waiting.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm

traehekat wrote:Officially in with $11,000 Emery Scholarship via snail mail.

Does anyone know whether or not the Emery Scholarships are over the course of three years or if it is per year? Either way I am a little disappointed, as I have received much more money from schools like DePaul and Loyola, but not really surprised because I don't know anyone who has received a ton of money from SCU.

Pretty sure I will be withdrawing, so good luck to everyone still waiting.

It'll likely be 33k, if you stay in the top 1/4 of the class. I think they only give you the first year amount with the acceptance because a) 75% can't be in the top quarter, and b) it's not automatically renewed; which sucks but may be good b/c if you're renewing, maybe you can leverage for more $krilla.

And from the looks of it, if you have a solid LSAT (95th percentile+) and decent GPA, you get an email about the Deans scholly, which is full-tuition, but you have to interview for it, write an essay (i think), renounce your faith, dance like a monkey, etc.. basic full tuition requirements.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 pm

traehekat wrote:Received the eCampus email just a few minutes ago. Still no admissions packet in the mail, but I am assume I've been accepted.

Is there a packet? I've just gotten letters (admissions letter in big envelope), and financial aid info.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:It'll likely be 33k, if you stay in the top 1/4 of the class. I think they only give you the first year amount with the acceptance because a) 75% can't be

This

twert

Postby twert » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:35 am

superflush wrote:
traehekat wrote:Received the eCampus email just a few minutes ago. Still no admissions packet in the mail, but I am assume I've been accepted.

Is there a packet? I've just gotten letters (admissions letter in big envelope), and financial aid info.

no, there's no packet. no packet, little money. santa clara gives the impression that they're suffering.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm

twert wrote:
superflush wrote:

no, there's no packet. no packet, little money. santa clara gives the impression that they're suffering.

what about the money clips they mailed out awhile back? that gives the impression they're ballin'.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:
twert wrote:
superflush wrote:

what about the money clips they mailed out awhile back? that gives the impression they're ballin'.

Were they the ones who did this? Dag ... I didn't get one. This makes me sad.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:
twert wrote:
superflush wrote:

Were they the ones who did this? Dag ... I didn't get one. This makes me sad.

Me either =( I wanted. I don't think I've gotten anything but a one page letter from them so far, though. Maybe they're out of stock and waiting.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm

hey all. i'm getting a bit worried about where my application has gone to. do you think it's a good idea to give the admissions office a call? or will my app be sent to the bottom of the pile? i've been "In Committee" since late October. Anyone in the same boat? Thanks in advance!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm

I am still in committee. So they send a little envelope in the mail that could be a yes or a no?

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Island Girl wrote:hey all. i'm getting a bit worried about where my application has gone to. do you think it's a good idea to give the admissions office a call? or will my app be sent to the bottom of the pile? i've been "In Committee" since late October. Anyone in the same boat? Thanks in advance!

Probably wouldn't hurt to call them at this point and ask when it would be reasonable to expect a decision, since you went in committee back in October. They're a friendly bunch, from my experience.

jarofsoup wrote:I am still in committee. So they send a little envelope in the mail that could be a yes or a no?

They send a big envelop if admit. only thing I've received in a small one is scholly info.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Thank you.

I went to SCU to talk to the admin people a while ago and they said that decisions come out usually Feb, March, April...they can take a while.

Best of luck

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:02 am

barry zuckerkorn wrote:Probably wouldn't hurt to call them at this point and ask when it would be reasonable to expect a decision, since you went in committee back in October. They're a friendly bunch, from my experience.

thanks zucker. i'll try tomorrow. i hope my app's not under some dark dungeon of an abandoned desk gathering dust.... :?

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Island Girl wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:Probably wouldn't hurt to call them at this point and ask when it would be reasonable to expect a decision, since you went in committee back in October. They're a friendly bunch, from my experience.

thanks zucker. i'll try tomorrow. i hope my app's not under some dark dungeon of an abandoned desk gathering dust.... :?

Can you let us know what they say? I'd be curious since I've been "in committee" since 9/28.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”