In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UrbanAchievers

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby UrbanAchievers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:53 am

LvingLegend wrote:I don't think UrbanAchiever should be worried. He would probably be able to pick up a Dean's Fellow with those stats which is full ride plus money for books.

"Worried" wouldn't be the word I use to describe my feelings towards SCU. If they had a better offer for me, they should have made it. If I get into any of the other schools I applied to, I'm not going to bother negotiating with SCU. It just seems weird that they wouldn't make their best offer up front to woo prospects away from other schools.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:58 am

Its not negotiating with SCU. The Dean's Fellow is awarded after an interview with the Dean. I got an email that said they will start scheduling interviews by Feb 12th.

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:59 am

Oh, interesting. I did not receive this email.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 am

You'll get it. Your LSAT is a point higher and your GPA kills mine and I got the email.

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:44 pm

My status is still listed as 'In Committee' as of 1/22... but now I have two seat deposits listed in my fee box... no dates listed for the fees though. Anyone else see anything like this?

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Everyone who is thinking of "negotiating" - I can help you out, just went through the process and, despite "compelling" reasons, was dinged via Email. I know a 2L was was given a raise after 1L grades were posted, otherwise I've yet to talk to someone who has been given an increase pre-1L. I do think it's possible, however.

For starters, at least with the Emery peeps, you don't negotiate. You appeal. I don't know if they're different from other schools or not in this respect. But, I do feel like the appeal gives you less wiggle room, meanings in negotiations, you can provide more reasoning for something, make a stronger case. The appeal form is one page, and only gives you ~ 100 or so word space to work with. Its very wham bam thank you ma'am. So email Fin. Aid office, they'll hook you up with a form. Anyone who thinks they have a decent shot, PM me and I'll tell you what my deal was and how the whole thing went down, and you can compare your situation to mine.

EDIT: for anyone who is interested, the email said I was denied due to lack of funds. That being said, people who are in at SCU as a safety and were tossed money, feel free to withdraw and then maybe I can ah, substantiate their claim :D

And IMO, on an appeal anyway, I don't think "I got into an arbitrarily higher ranked school than yours" is really compelling. That's like trying to bargain with one manufacture for a lower price because another manufacturer is in one way perceived to be a better producer; they probably won't want to work with you. I'm sure that's not the consensus round here.

I'd focus on better, more personal things than the USNews system, esp. everyone with a 170+ LSAT. That's a badass score. It may be obscene you don't have full tuition from a school that's hovered around 77-85 in said capricious ranking system for a couple years, but they probably "low balled" you because really, you're probably going to wind up a higher ranked school and they aren't going to toss a ton of money at someone who may not be a serious prospect.. they aren't t14 material, or Cooley, so they may be gave money to people who are more likely candidates. Like scholly YP. Fluff them a bit in the appeal and see what happens. That's one way of thinking about it anyway, I'd think a full ride would be in order to see if you'd call it in, but I guess this is law school and not poker. Unfortunately.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:13 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:Everyone who is thinking of "negotiating" - I can help you out, just went through the process and, despite "compelling" reasons, was dinged via Email. I know a 2L was was given a raise after 1L grades were posted, otherwise I've yet to talk to someone who has been given an increase pre-1L. I do think it's possible, however.

For starters, at least with the Emery peeps, you don't negotiate. You appeal. I don't know if they're different from other schools or not in this respect. But, I do feel like the appeal gives you less wiggle room, meanings in negotiations, you can provide more reasoning for something, make a stronger case. The appeal form is one page, and only gives you ~ 100 or so word space to work with. Its very wham bam thank you ma'am. So email Fin. Aid office, they'll hook you up with a form. Anyone who thinks they have a decent shot, PM me and I'll tell you what my deal was and how the whole thing went down, and you can compare your situation to mine.

EDIT: for anyone who is interested, the email said I was denied due to lack of funds. That being said, people who are in at SCU as a safety and were tossed money, feel free to withdraw and then maybe I can ah, substantiate their claim :D

And IMO, on an appeal anyway, I don't think "I got into an arbitrarily higher ranked school than yours" is really compelling. That's like trying to bargain with one manufacture for a lower price because another manufacturer is in one way perceived to be a better producer; they probably won't want to work with you. I'm sure that's not the consensus round here.

I'd focus on better, more personal things than the USNews system, esp. everyone with a 170+ LSAT. That's a badass score. It may be obscene you don't have full tuition from a school that's hovered around 77-85 in said capricious ranking system for a couple years, but they probably "low balled" you because really, you're probably going to wind up a higher ranked school and they aren't going to toss a ton of money at someone who may not be a serious prospect.. they aren't t14 material, or Cooley, so they may be gave money to people who are more likely candidates. Like scholly YP. Fluff them a bit in the appeal and see what happens. That's one way of thinking about it anyway, I'd think a full ride would be in order to see if you'd call it in, but I guess this is law school and not poker. Unfortunately.

thanks. do you think higher scholarships from peer schools would move them at all? Schools like loyola?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:31 pm

My application says it is in committee, so I hope that they decide in time to consider me for an interview for the Dean's Fellowship. I know that's a lot of contingencies, but I think I might be competitive (166/3.75) and I really like the location of the school and its programs.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:Everyone who is thinking of "negotiating" - I can help you out, just went through the process and, despite "compelling" reasons, was dinged via Email. I know a 2L was was given a raise after 1L grades were posted, otherwise I've yet to talk to someone who has been given an increase pre-1L. I do think it's possible, however.

For starters, at least with the Emery peeps, you don't negotiate. You appeal. I don't know if they're different from other schools or not in this respect.

"Appeal" makes it sound like it is just for financial need.

vl2104

Postby vl2104 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:29 am

So what happens to the original Emory offer if one ends up getting the Deans Fellowship?
Does one end up with free tuition + spending cash from the Emory?

Also, does the Emory get taxed?

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 am

"Appeal" makes it sound like it is just for financial need.

Well, yea, but it depends. From a legal perspective an appeal is procedural review from in a higher forum. It may sound more ah, needy, sure, but why else are you appealing for more money if it isn't for financial "need", albeit ego or merit.. it still seems to depend on the strength of the case. And that's the way it is at SCU (in my experience so far, at least) in their Fin. aid dept. It's less of a business deal and more of a "put up or shut up" medium. I respect that.

vl2104 wrote:So what happens to the original Emory offer if one ends up getting the Deans Fellowship?
Does one end up with free tuition + spending cash from the Emory?

Also, does the Emory get taxed?

I have no idea. I don't think anyone has landed free tuition at SCU, and my first impression is to say I doubt it there. Did you get an Emery scholarship and then a Deans Fellowship? If so, well played. If you're just wondering, I have no idea, but that's awesome if that's the case for you, and best of luck.

And as far as taxes go, HR Block would know more than a humble 0L would.. 8)

If anyone is still curious about how the whole appeal went down with me, my inbox is open.

Unrelated, sort of, is anyone a hockey fan here? I'll likely wind up at SCU, it'd be cool to know people who are into the sport so I'm not growing a playoff beard alone when the Sharks continue to dominate..

EDIT: also keep in mind I failed at my appeal. Barring some compelling reasons. Denied. So, take my words with a grain of salt, as anyone familiar with Arrested Development probably has..
Last edited by barry zuckerkorn on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:37 am

According to the Associate Dean the Dean's Fellow won't be awarded for a couple of weeks. They still haven't scheduled the interviews. I also don't think they will allow you to keep the Emery scholarship and the deans fellow.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:45 am

twert wrote:

thanks. do you think higher scholarships from peer schools would move them at all? Schools like loyola?

Unless you can write a very convincing statement in a paragraph or so about why you deserve more money from them because of a higher scholarship from a school in a different demographic, I doubt it, but hey, it's worth a shot?

I wrote an appeal on reasons that were arguably why the scholly was disbursed in the first place; professional promise, an ( noticeably improved) academic ability and financial need, and was shot down. So, hey, your way may be more compelling. Try it out.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 pm

In via snail mail, 33k total scholarship. Most likely going to withdraw, not nearly enough money for me to consider it.

Edit: received another letter clarifying that the scholarship amount is 11k a year.
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star10

Postby star10 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 pm

I applied Early Action and got deferred to regular admissions. I've been in 2nd review for a month now...should I be concerned? Anyone else in the same boat?

I looked on LSN and people with similar numbers to mine have not only gotten admitted already, but some received scholarships as well...

frustrating...

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 pm

What's with the Emery Scholarship... I got an Emery letter from Dean Emery. Are they the same?

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully someone deserving will get my scholarship and spot! Good luck! :D

Temka

Postby Temka » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

star10 wrote:I applied Early Action and got deferred to regular admissions. I've been in 2nd review for a month now...should I be concerned? Anyone else in the same boat?

I looked on LSN and people with similar numbers to mine have not only gotten admitted already, but some received scholarships as well...

frustrating...

I dont know if I have the same numbers as you or not, but I am in the same boat.

km23

Postby km23 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Status Checker went to Decision Mailed (with deposits showing, thus proving it was an acceptance). So IN!

Called up to ask if they could email the acceptance letter, and they instead gave me all pertinent information. 11K/year.
Still hoping I've got a chance at the Dean's Fellowship (or is getting 11k a sign that you don't have a chance at the Dean's Fellowship?)

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I just created a theory!

Those of us who feel like we got low-balled with Emery scholarships : maybe it's because they're considering us for the Dean's one??? And the reason some people with lower numbers got more money is because they're planning it all out?? yeah?????

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Status Checker went to Decision Mailed (with deposits showing, thus proving it was an acceptance). So IN!

Called up to ask if they could email the acceptance letter, and they instead gave me all pertinent information. 11K/year.
Still hoping I've got a chance at the Dean's Fellowship (or is getting 11k a sign that you don't have a chance at the Dean's Fellowship?)

I would guess that you still have a chance I got the same Emery and was emailed about the Dean's :D Seems like with your kind of stats there should be some more money out there. Good luck!

Italia8183

Postby Italia8183 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm

In today via Status Checker!!

Santa Clara is one of my top 3 choices so I'm pumped!

Submitted: 1/12
Complete : 1/20
Decision : 2/2

Can't wait to get the official packet to find out about $$$ :D

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I've been in committee since 12/15. This is just getting ridiculous at this point.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Decision mailed 2/2. Deposits listed. Does this mean I can bust open a celebratory Heineken? :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”