In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
barry zuckerkorn

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:57 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Been "in committee" for about a week now.

I grew up near a Santa Clara Drive ... so I'm holding on to that as my Irrational Ray of Hope Du Jour.

Sounds like a possible LOCI topic :wink:

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:

I grew up near a Santa Clara Drive ... so I'm holding on to that as my Irrational Ray of Hope Du Jour.

Nah, man, don't say that! :shock: Whiskey tango foxtrot. Messing up my chakras.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:41 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:

Ah, no bad vibes intended, didn't mean LOCI as in a W/L or anything (I emailed schools like crazy before getting any admin letters to at least have a record of my inquires/interest). Judging from you the clever use of French, Sanskrit and call words, you're probably going to be just fine :)

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Scholly increase people: was just shot down, with possibility of further review if funds become available. And I had some pretty compelling reasons, including a GPA hike. Take it FWIW.

EDIT: And since it's Friday, good luck everyone waiting for acceptances!

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm

So I posted before that I finally had a decision rendered, and I assumed I was accepted as the seat deposits were listed. Well... I STILL haven't gotten my letter. But today I got an email inviting me to access their online system (obviously intended to be secondary). No info re: scholarships on it. Still want my letter!

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

sibley wrote:So I posted before that I finally had a decision rendered, and I assumed I was accepted as the seat deposits were listed. Well... I STILL haven't gotten my letter. But today I got an email inviting me to access their online system (obviously intended to be secondary). No info re: scholarships on it. Still want my letter!

Where do you live? It took me about a week to get mine because it had to cross the country. And congrats, with your stats I'm sure you're looking at a nice scholarship.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:25 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:

Ah, no bad vibes intended, didn't mean LOCI as in a W/L or anything (I emailed schools like crazy before getting any admin letters to at least have a record of my inquires/interest). Judging from you the clever use of French, Sanskrit and call words, you're probably going to be just fine :)

I read you. Congratulations to everyone who was admitted!

Italia8183

Postby Italia8183 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the next round of admissions will come?

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:59 pm

sibley wrote:So I posted before that I finally had a decision rendered, and I assumed I was accepted as the seat deposits were listed. Well... I STILL haven't gotten my letter. But today I got an email inviting me to access their online system (obviously intended to be secondary). No info re: scholarships on it. Still want my letter!

My decision was mailed on 1/22 and just arrived in Western NY today.

In w/ $11k Emery. 173/3.48 Complete as of 1/15.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:08 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:

I just got it in Roch=D
Same, 11k Emery. Felt like it was a little low (W&L gave me more than twice that), but considering your stats are a good generation higher than mine and we got the same thing I'm liking it.

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by UrbanAchievers on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
sibley wrote:
UrbanAchievers wrote:

I just got it in Roch=D
Same, 11k Emery. Felt like it was a little low (W&L gave me more than twice that), but considering your stats are a good generation higher than mine and we got the same thing I'm liking it.

I felt the same way, so i checked out the scholarship figures on LSN. $11k per year appears to be the highest merit-based offer to non-URM students. According to ABA data, they do hand out higher tuition (2.9% of students receive full tuition), but I'm not sure if that data includes need-based financial aid and private grants.

You're in Rochester? I'm in Rochester...

You're in Rochester? Are you AT Rochester?

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by UrbanAchievers on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:18 pm

PMed.

Anyone get a scholarship over 11k non-urm?

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:My decision was mailed on 1/22 and just arrived in Western NY today.

hm, I'm surprised that you got the same as me (with you having much higher numbers).

sibley wrote:I just got it in Roch=D

Are they just lowballing everyone on the east coast?

This brings up another point, which is I don't know if anybody has had any success negotiating scholarships with SCU. A lot of people are going to have better offers from higher ranked schools (but may still be interested in SCU) ... also the top25% requirement is pretty ridiculous. I don't know if there is any room to negotiate amount and try to get that top25% requirement changed to something more reasonable.

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 pm

I definitely feel "low-balled". I don't mean any offense to people that really want to go to SCU, but it'll be a sad sequence of events is this offer from SCU is the best opportunity I have.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:I definitely feel "low-balled". I don't mean any offense to people that really want to go to SCU, but it'll be a sad sequence of events is this offer from SCU is the best opportunity I have.

You're in much more of a position than I am to feel that way. ... and I still need to wait for my other acceptances to roll in before I have other scholarship offers, but I strongly feel that I will have higher $ amounts from higher ranked schools, and probably with less restrictive requirements.

I wanted to get a dialogue going about if anyone has had success negotiating scholarships with them.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:I definitely feel "low-balled". I don't mean any offense to people that really want to go to SCU, but it'll be a sad sequence of events is this offer from SCU is the best opportunity I have.

i feel the same way.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:24 pm

twert wrote:

i feel the same way.

Agree. At first, I was pleased to just get a scholarship. But then, I got better offers from better schools, and now I'm just a little confused. Do they just expect to negotiate offers or do you think they are really doing a $33,000/total for non-URMs?

I saw that someone, a bit further up this page, got turned down when trying to negotiate, but anyone else give it a try? Or would the above poster care to share a bit more information about his/her attempt?

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 pm

twert wrote:

i feel the same way.

It's not just that they're giving out less than more competitive schools, it's that they're giving out less with a pretty high cost of living. An 11k a year scholarship is basically just enough to cover room and board. And as a private school there's no chance of a chance of having thousands of dollars knocked off by 2L or 3L like at a public school. Sure, there's a chance that you'll perform high enough that they'll increase your scholarships for 2L and 3L but that isn't likely.

The official data shows that SCU isn't too friendly with aid (only 37.6% of student get grants/scholarships).

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:Agree. At first, I was pleased to just get a scholarship. But then, I got better offers from better schools, and now I'm just a little confused. Do they just expect to negotiate offers or do you think they are really doing a $33,000/total for non-URMs?

I saw that someone, a bit further up this page, got turned down when trying to negotiate, but anyone else give it a try? Or would the above poster care to share a bit more information about his/her attempt?

Okay, so this was on 2 pages prior:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:Anyone who is thinking of negotiating for more money: you have to appeal the financial aid committee by filling out an appeal form.. might be on the website, or email them. I know of someone who has tried, and wasn't successful as a 0L. If you have compelling reasons, might work, otherwise think about applying for the myriad of other scholarships SCU has.. their page has a scholarship for students "in the bottom half of their class and have financial need"... sounds like a sweet deal.

I'm not sure what this means, but I don't have "financial need" ... so I don't know where that puts me with negotiations. I thought it was the case that often when you have a higher scholarship from a higher ranked or similar ranked school, you can leverage that (ie, you have a 25k scholarship from Cornell, when UCLA only gave you 10k, and you try to get more $ from UCLA)

I think they are trying to stand on the fact that they have a desired location, and that they'll pick up students who would otherwise be going to higher ranked schools, but they want this location.
Also, they don't have as big of an endowment as some other schools. But you would think if they wanted to grab a hold of some of their applicants, they would know they need to give more money. They aren't competing with some higher ranked schools who are giving more money (only thing is, those schools aren't in the same area).

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 pm

TWoodWil wrote:It's not just that they're giving out less than more competitive schools, it's that they're giving out less with a pretty high cost of living. An 11k a year scholarship is basically just enough to cover room and board. And as a private school there's no chance of a chance of having thousands of dollars knocked off by 2L or 3L like at a public school. Sure, there's a chance that you'll perform high enough that they'll increase your scholarships for 2L and 3L but that isn't likely.

The official data shows that SCU isn't too friendly with aid (only 37.6% of student get grants/scholarships).

Well, yea, that goes hand-in-hand with what people have as options. People are going to have higher scholly offers from better schools in other areas (midwest, etc.) .. where of course the COL is lower.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:36 am

I'm going to try asking for money this week. I don't know how successful I might be, but I was told by current students that if I provide a compelling reason (not sure what one might be) they are happy to raise scholarship amounts.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 am

yea "low balled" is a very nice, lawyerly way to put it, Dude. 11k with your stats? Foxtrot Underwear Charlie Kilo Echo Delta, brother.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:26 am

I don't think UrbanAchiever should be worried. He would probably be able to pick up a Dean's Fellow with those stats which is full ride plus money for books.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”