In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moverit

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby moverit » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 pm

moverit wrote:Got my acceptance in the mail today! I got the Emery Merit Scholarship too ($8k) but it is a finite amount not promised each year- darn! Did the yearly scholarship with the top 25% requirement come in the acceptance letter for everyone else or in another letter? Hopefully my lack of $$ doesn't mean I am doomed to be dinged at my other schools. Still excited for an acceptance at a great school though!

Applied 11/26
Complete 12/08
Decision Mailed 12/14
Decision Received 12/18

I just got a letter in the mail that explains the Emery Merit Scholarship in more detail than the acceptance letter. It says the scholarship is renewable each year with the 25% requirement. This pleases me. Thanks Santa Clara!

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 pm

moverit wrote:I just got a letter in the mail that explains the Emery Merit Scholarship in more detail than the acceptance letter. It says the scholarship is renewable each year with the 25% requirement. This pleases me. Thanks Santa Clara!

Yea, I think for some of you guys who got admitted recently, they also just put some quick info of your scholarship offer in with your acceptance.

Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:53 am

I'm in!! I went complete on 11/16 and I got the notification around 12/15-12/17, not exactly sure...I can't wait to visit!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:05 am

erico wrote:I finally went complete today...bring it!

+1

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 am

You people who have gotten your acceptances/denials... did any of you apply to any special committees?

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:48 pm

sibley wrote:You people who have gotten your acceptances/denials... did any of you apply to any special committees?

i didnt

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:
sibley wrote:You people who have gotten your acceptances/denials... did any of you apply to any special committees?

i didnt

Same here.

laughingberries

Postby laughingberries » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Accepted with approx. 20K+ annually! sweeet!!

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:25 pm

laughingberries wrote:Accepted with approx. 20K+ annually! sweeet!!

Nicely done! That's bigger than most of the other packages that have been going out. Any GPA requirements?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 pm

bluejayk wrote:

Nicely done! That's bigger than most of the other packages that have been going out. Any GPA requirements?

Congrats! I'm wondering the same.. Is SCU a top choice for you?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:02 pm

superflush wrote:Anybody familiar with Silicon Valley have any insights on what might be the ideal places to live?

bump on this.

laughingberries

Postby laughingberries » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:08 am

jbaritot wrote:
bluejayk wrote:

Congrats! I'm wondering the same.. Is SCU a top choice for you?

The requirements were top 25%, but I will be withdrawing asap, so there's more money in the pot and another spot open! Just got into UNC :) Good luck everyone!

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:31 am

superflush wrote:
superflush wrote:Anybody familiar with Silicon Valley have any insights on what might be the ideal places to live?

bump on this.

Around school there are plenty of apartment complexes and lots of houses available to rent. Personally, I would look into living at the Park Central Apartments or Domicilio (far nice but waaayyyyy overpriced). The first are nice, simple apartments while the latter are "luxury" apartments in that there have stainless steel appliances and the community house has a theater and bar (though the theater was badass for late night drunken halo matches as an undergrad). Other than that, there is Santana Row about 3 miles away (like the Rodeo Drive of Northern California) as well as apartment complexes in Downtown San Jose, also not too far. Personally, I'd stay near school because everything you need is walking distance and if you feel the need to get away San Jose, Palo Alto, and San Francisco are a short drive away.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:04 am

valley splitter wrote:Around school there are plenty of apartment complexes and lots of houses available to rent. Personally, I would look into living at the Park Central Apartments or Domicilio (far nice but waaayyyyy overpriced). The first are nice, simple apartments while the latter are "luxury" apartments in that there have stainless steel appliances and the community house has a theater and bar.

But you're paying a premium for being at nice places within walking distance to the school, right?
I'd imagine you'd be able to get cheaper elsewhere. I hope so.

MixedGirl2009

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Im really considering SC yet waiting to hear from other schools to bargain with SC.

Got the $11,000 offer renewable based on financial need and a 2.33 =) ... In the most optimal situation, can someone give me a rough idea of the highest amount I can ask for? Im going to use some of the bargaining guidlines provided on this site to write them a nice letter later in the admissions cycle.

However, I still dont know how much I should ask for or whether to keep this unclear.. what is the maximum amount I can expect if all goes well?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:11 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:Im really considering SC yet waiting to hear from other schools to bargain with SC.

Got the $11,000 offer renewable based on financial need and a 2.33 =) ... In the most optimal situation, can someone give me a rough idea of the highest amount I can ask for? Im going to use some of the bargaining guidlines provided on this site to write them a nice letter later in the admissions cycle.

However, I still dont know how much I should ask for or whether to keep this unclear.. what is the maximum amount I can expect if all goes well?

stats?

amandap

Postby amandap » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:44 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:Im really considering SC yet waiting to hear from other schools to bargain with SC.

The most I have seen on LSN or TLS in previous years is 23,500/yr, But not many people received that

caligirl07

Postby caligirl07 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:43 pm

superflush wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Around school there are plenty of apartment complexes and lots of houses available to rent. Personally, I would look into living at the Park Central Apartments or Domicilio (far nice but waaayyyyy overpriced). The first are nice, simple apartments while the latter are "luxury" apartments in that there have stainless steel appliances and the community house has a theater and bar.

But you're paying a premium for being at nice places within walking distance to the school, right?
I'd imagine you'd be able to get cheaper elsewhere. I hope so.

The places like Santana Row and the luxury apartments are wayyy overpriced (like $2,000/month for 700 sq.ft.). I would highly suggest having a car and living in a quieter neighborhood somewhere in Santa Clara or Campbell. Those areas are only a short drive to campus, are much safer, and have lots of bars/restaurants. Downtown SJ can be a bit sketchy.

DiggyHopeful

Postby DiggyHopeful » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm seriously considering Santa Clara but do not want to give up living in San Francisco. Does anyone think it's too much of a drive to still do well in school?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 pm

DiggyHopeful wrote:I'm seriously considering Santa Clara but do not want to give up living in San Francisco. Does anyone think it's too much of a drive to still do well in school?

Eh, I would think that would be pushing it. Where in San Francisco do you live?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:06 pm

caligirl07 wrote:The places like Santana Row and the luxury apartments are wayyy overpriced (like $2,000/month for 700 sq.ft.). I would highly suggest having a car and living in a quieter neighborhood somewhere in Santa Clara or Campbell. Those areas are only a short drive to campus, are much safer, and have lots of bars/restaurants. Downtown SJ can be a bit sketchy.

What neighborhoods do you like?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:08 pm

And what if I hate driving? Where can I live then?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:57 pm

sibley wrote:And what if I hate driving? Where can I live then?

not California. :lol:

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 pm

superflush wrote:

san francisco!

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:58 pm

sibley wrote:
superflush wrote:

san francisco!

Yea, I know. I was kidding.

(That San Francisco to Santa Clara commute would be long though.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”