In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 am

twert wrote:
swheat wrote:
twert wrote:just got mine for 8k. that pretty much takes them out of the running for me. i'm sad now.

If you really want to go there you can request some more $$

You might actually succeed since I think they are lowballing you due to YP (ie - they think you aren't serious about them)

i'm hoping thats the case. should i ask now or wait until later in the cycle?

Probably wait until later in the cycle. Get some fat schollys at USD and Loyola then use them as bargaining chips. I don't know what the max possible you can get at SCU is though...my guess is 15k or 17k or whatever valley splitter got

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 am

I already got 21k from Baylor and acceptances to higher-ranked schools. They should be a good bargaining chip, right? To increase from Santa Clara's 12k even though it is supposedly frugal with its funds

amandap

Postby amandap » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:40 pm

I am not sure if it is the same as last cycle, but I read on an old forum someone got $23,500 per year, and a couple people got $18,500. I haven't received my financial aid offer yet, but I am worried looking at what other people are getting. They are my only acceptance so far. My numbers are 165/3.65. I am seriously considering SCL, but I will probably only attend if I get a good offer.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Curious-- does anybody study IP law at Santa Clara if they aren't eligible to sit for the Patent Bar? I know patents is only one type of IP law (according to my research: --LinkRemoved--), but am I correct in assuming this is the area focused on at Santa Clara? I really don't know much about IP Law, just have a nascent interest in it and, of course, would love to study in Santa Clara if it was plausible...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 pm

amandap wrote:I am not sure if it is the same as last cycle, but I read on an old forum someone got $23,500 per year, and a couple people got $18,500. I haven't received my financial aid offer yet, but I am worried looking at what other people are getting. They are my only acceptance so far. My numbers are 165/3.65. I am seriously considering SCL, but I will probably only attend if I get a good offer.

I think it's just because SCU doesn't have any T2/"scholarship school" competition for students. A lot of people want to stay in the Bay Area so SoCal schools aren't really an alternative. But with Loyola and USD, they are in direct competition with each other for USNWR rank and for students. So I guess that's why they make such aggressive scholarship offers. On the other hand though you would think Pepperdine would fall into that category as well but they don't really seem to offer much $$.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:06 pm

I only got 8K a year

WiretoWire09UF

Postby WiretoWire09UF » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:40 pm

11k here, probably gonna withdraw soon

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:51 pm

yah 8k here too.... that wont even cover rent for a yr lol oh well......

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Just got my letter. Eleven-K. Top 25% requirement.

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:03 pm

I just got mine today. They're giving me $33,000 over three years. Need to maintain a spot in the top 25%. I'm completely surprised considering I was expecting absolutely nothing.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:19 pm

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA4851.pdf

about 40% of SCU students get grants. Apparently everyone has a top 25% req. So at least 15% of SCU students will have received a scholarship and lost it.

That figure gets bigger as more of the 60% non-scholarship people enter the top 25%.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:22 pm

swheat wrote:about 40% of SCU students get grants. Apparently everyone has a top 25% req. So at least 15% of SCU students will have received a scholarship and lost it.

Think of it this way: at least 37.5% of the students who have scholarships will lose them the 2nd year.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:29 pm

superflush wrote:
swheat wrote:about 40% of SCU students get grants. Apparently everyone has a top 25% req. So at least 15% of SCU students will have received a scholarship and lost it.

Think of it this way: at least 37.5% of the students who have scholarships will lose them the 2nd year.

And that is why I chose Hastings over SCU. Believe me, law school is hard...I have been on the verge of depression several times throughout the semester. I can't even imagine how much my stress would have been compounded by the possibility of losing my scholarship. Top 33%, that's like a B/B+ average. But when you start talking 25%, you have pressure to get B+'s and A-'s.

And I wouldn't assume for a second that SCU students are inferior to Hastings, Davis, or any other school. Most of SCU students come from Berkeley just like the other 2. And we all know that many smart people were too cocky or whatever to study for the LSAT, and the LSAT doesn't really mean all that much to begin with.

vl2104

Postby vl2104 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:44 pm

swheat wrote:
superflush wrote:

And that is why I chose Hastings over SCU. Believe me, law school is hard...I have been on the verge of depression several times throughout the semester. I can't even imagine how much my stress would have been compounded by the possibility of losing my scholarship. Top 33%, that's like a B/B+ average. But when you start talking 25%, you have pressure to get B+'s and A-'s.

And I wouldn't assume for a second that SCU students are inferior to Hastings, Davis, or any other school. Most of SCU students come from Berkeley just like the other 2. And we all know that many smart people were too cocky or whatever to study for the LSAT, and the LSAT doesn't really mean all that much to begin with.

swheat,

Can't remember if I asked you this already... For science/eng background students, do IP oriented firms in the bay area hire equally deep out of SCU vs Hastings/Davis? Or do you think Hastings/Davis might have an advantage and if so how much of one? Thanks!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't know much about IP but I am pretty sure Davis and Hastings are roughly equals to SCU in IP. There are a lot of smart people at Hastings who are doing IP, so I am pretty sure they know what they are doing.

SCU is a good school but I wouldn't put too much stock in the USNWR specialty rankings. You should go to the best school that makes financial sense for you. I think the consensus for most of the people here is that SCU is solid but overpriced. With 6k, 8k scholarships it doesn't provide much of an alternative to Hastings/Davis. If you are in-state, that is.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm

The Holiday card is definitely not as annoying now that I've been admitted lol.

It's nice to know I have some where to go in Cali! Although U of Miami is probably a better school.

Hmmm decisions decisions lol.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:15 pm

BruinsFan wrote:The Holiday card is definitely not as annoying now that I've been admitted lol.

It's nice to know I have some where to go in Cali! Although U of Miami is probably a better school.

I think it's difficult to establish one over the other (in regards to Miami over Santa Clara). It would depend on the law you want to study/practice as well as the region. This isn't a decision you can make on rankings.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Veritas wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:The Holiday card is definitely not as annoying now that I've been admitted lol.

I think it's difficult to establish one over the other (in regards to Miami over Santa Clara). It would depend on the law you want to study/practice as well as the region. This isn't a decision you can make on rankings.

+1

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Veritas wrote:I think it's difficult to establish one over the other (in regards to Miami over Santa Clara). It would depend on the law you want to study/practice as well as the region. This isn't a decision you can make on rankings.

I agree and while UMiami has a strong hold on the South Florida legal market, or so I hear, I would also have practice and live in South Florida.

I know I don't to do IP or Tax law, probably contracts, out of court settlements, and the like.

There's still a lot of waiting left to do!

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 pm

11k per year. After getting accepted at the University of Illinois with a 10k per year scholarship, it was an easy choice. Withdrew my application today. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear or who are on waitlist. I hope my spot opens up a place for a very deserving candidate!

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:54 pm

My status just changed to "Decision Mailed". *Gasp*

The fees in the box also changed to 1st deposit 4/1/2010 with the amount due of $200.00. I imagine this is good? Don't want to speculate.

odon59

Postby odon59 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I got $11k/year, with the usual top 25% requirement for renewal. Fordham PT at sticker seems like a better option for me. Thoughts?

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 pm

odon59 wrote:I got $11k/year, with the usual top 25% requirement for renewal. Fordham PT at sticker seems like a better option for me. Thoughts?

You have a job lined up in NY or you already live there? PT vs. full time is a pretty big difference, I think that would be a big factor.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:47 pm

odon59 wrote:I got $11k/year, with the usual top 25% requirement for renewal. Fordham PT at sticker seems like a better option for me. Thoughts?

def. fordham

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Decision mailed today, seems like they mailed a bunch out today.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”