In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jacques

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Jacques » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Did your scholarship letter arrive with your acceptance packet, or was it a separate mailing?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 pm

superflush wrote:
swheat wrote:I didn't do the math on SCU but I would bet that about half of their 1L class gets a scholarship and only top 1/4 are eligible to keep them.

unless you are including small scholarships, I doubt this

I am including small scholarships. Even my $6k had a gpa requirement...I believe it was top 33% but it may have been top 25% I don't remember.

Anyway-- point is GPA req's suck.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 pm

tesoro wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Got the scholarship letter today!!!

I was awarded the Emery Scholarship in the amount of $17,000 per year, renewable with being in top 25% of class. I'm actually really happy about this. I didn't think I would get anything, much less this much. My numbers weren't spectacular - 2.53/163 - but I did undergrad there. Still waiting on other schools' decisions and scholarship information but SCU just went pretty high up on my list. Scholarship information should be coming soon for all I imagine. The letter was postmarked 12/9 and I live not too far from the school.

+1 on the Emery Scholarship. I was awarded $33,000, paid at $11,000/yr contingent on top 25%. Given my numbers (165/3.52), I'm a little disappointed it's not larger... but c'est la vie

2 points higher lsat and nearly an entire 1.0 higher gpa and you got 6k a year less? i'm guessing valley splitter is a urm?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 pm

twert wrote:
tesoro wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Got the scholarship letter today!!!

I was awarded the Emery Scholarship in the amount of $17,000 per year, renewable with being in top 25% of class. I'm actually really happy about this. I didn't think I would get anything, much less this much. My numbers weren't spectacular - 2.53/163 - but I did undergrad there. Still waiting on other schools' decisions and scholarship information but SCU just went pretty high up on my list. Scholarship information should be coming soon for all I imagine. The letter was postmarked 12/9 and I live not too far from the school.

+1 on the Emery Scholarship. I was awarded $33,000, paid at $11,000/yr contingent on top 25%. Given my numbers (165/3.52), I'm a little disappointed it's not larger... but c'est la vie

2 points higher lsat and nearly an entire 1.0 higher gpa and you got 6k a year less? i'm guessing valley splitter is a urm?

I think they are weird like that....SCU and Hastings both practice a kind of yield protect. Valley Splitter is more likely to have SCU as a target than tesero. I think that may be why my scholarship offer had been rather low (6k per year - 3.9/162). Hastings rejects or WL's most 167+ applicants.

I guess practice has shown SCU that most 162+ applicants will likely choose Hastings, and Hastings has learned that most 167+ applicants will go to UCLA or some other T20. Maybe if you show some particular interest in SCU they will increase your offer? Loyola and USD both increased my scholarship late in the cycle last year...if you wait until April or May or so, they will have more scholarship money freed up from those who turn them down.

samwhip7

Postby samwhip7 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Did everyone who got a scholarship have something show up in their mailings section on the status checker?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:17 pm

I got my scholarship letter, $8k.... :|

I am very grateful, just was looking forward to considering SCU with my other schools.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:18 pm

samwhip7 wrote:Did everyone who got a scholarship have something show up in their mailings section on the status checker?

The mailing section didn't update for me, and I received my scholarship offer today in the mail. :)

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 pm

After hearing about all these scholarship offers, I was hoping to see an envelope in my mailbox today. There it was! However, I am too nervous and hungry to find out what's inside, and I have a bit of a headache. If I make some dinner first, and if I don't like what's in the envelope, at least I'll have some food in me >_>

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Just checked my mail and got a scholarship letter for $8k. 169/3.46. Maybe you needed above a 3.5 for the $11k?? :(

GhostDynasty

Postby GhostDynasty » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Im going to check my mail. As soon as I get my scholarship offer I am going to withdraw. Unless I get a really big scholarship, then I will visit and consider them, but it looks like thats not happening based on others numbers and what they are getting. Also the GPA requirement is a huge deal breaker for me. Who is to say ill make the top 25 percent of my class, what if I have a bad semester or a professor who doesn't like my writing style. Even someone who is a top 15 percent type of person or top 10 percent could drop...not willing to risk it.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Faesha wrote:Just checked my mail and got a scholarship letter for $8k. 169/3.46. Maybe you needed above a 3.5 for the $11k?? :(

nope, 165/3.82 here

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:15 pm

just got mine for 8k. that pretty much takes them out of the running for me. i'm sad now.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Not bad, I got 12k! (164, 3.33)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:27 pm

twert wrote:just got mine for 8k. that pretty much takes them out of the running for me. i'm sad now.

+1, bummer man

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 pm

twert wrote:just got mine for 8k. that pretty much takes them out of the running for me. i'm sad now.

If you really want to go there you can request some more $$

You might actually succeed since I think they are lowballing you due to YP (ie - they think you aren't serious about them)

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:01 pm

swheat wrote:

If you really want to go there you can request some more $$

You might actually succeed since I think they are lowballing you due to YP (ie - they think you aren't serious about them)

i'm hoping thats the case. should i ask now or wait until later in the cycle?

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:14 pm

I've gotten nothing in the mail yet ... but I'm on the East Coast.
So, are we kind of subscribing to the notion that there isn't really any rhyme or reason to hot they are coming up with these scholarship numbers?

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 pm

superflush wrote:I've gotten nothing in the mail yet ... but I'm on the East Coast.
So, are we kind of subscribing to the notion that there isn't really any rhyme or reason to hot they are coming up with these scholarship numbers?

Seems like they may be using this method - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julnt19Pl8E

Seriously, though, there's always a reason behind it. We might not be able to see it, but this is what they do for a living.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

My In Committee changed from 11/24 to 12/9. Progress (?)

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm finding it hard to keep track of people's stats and how much money they got.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 pm

superflush wrote:I'm finding it hard to keep track of people's stats and how much money they got.

165/3.82 $8k

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 am

the consensus seems to be lower but still good stats are getting more money than higher stats who they think may be unlikely to seriously consider santa clara

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:06 am

What I'm noticing here is that the worse your stats are, the more money you receive in scholarships.

I suppose that it makes sense from a business perspective. It wouldn't be reasonable for Santa Clara to think that they can raise their medians by more than .1 GPA / 1 LSAT point. Therefore, a 165 is as good as a 162, except the 162 is more likely to attend. A likewise argument exists for GPA. Therefore, why not absolutely wow a 162 with an enormous scholarship, and just bait a 165 and see what happens? Raising medians is effectively accomplished, and money is alloted towards those likely to accept with a smile.

That's how I'm justifying my observations here. Santa Clara has some great programs, but I wouldn't consider them with less than a half scholarship over my dream school/city. I will be withdrawing this week. Good luck to the rest of you.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:19 am

tesoro wrote:What I'm noticing here is that the worse your stats are, the more money you receive in scholarships.

I suppose that it makes sense from a business perspective. It wouldn't be reasonable for Santa Clara to think that they can raise their medians by more than .1 GPA / 1 LSAT point. Therefore, a 165 is as good as a 162, except the 162 is more likely to attend. A likewise argument exists for GPA. Therefore, why not absolutely wow a 162 with an enormous scholarship, and just bait a 165 and see what happens? Raising medians is effectively accomplished, and money is alloted towards those likely to accept with a smile.

That's how I'm justifying my observations here. Santa Clara has some great programs, but I wouldn't consider them with less than a half scholarship over my dream school/city. I will be withdrawing this week. Good luck to the rest of you.

Peace out. :D

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:28 am

tesoro wrote:I suppose that it makes sense from a business perspective. It wouldn't be reasonable for Santa Clara to think that they can raise their medians by more than .1 GPA / 1 LSAT point. Therefore, a 165 is as good as a 162, except the 162 is more likely to attend. A likewise argument exists for GPA. Therefore, why not absolutely wow a 162 with an enormous scholarship, and just bait a 165 and see what happens? Raising medians is effectively accomplished, and money is alloted towards those likely to accept with a smile.

Astute analysis, I'd be surprise if something like this sort of calculus doesn't go on. Also, I think they're better off helping their numbers by offering a bunch of small scholarships to students just above their medians.

I would be pretty serious about SCU if I thought I had a chance at a large scholarship, but I wouldn't be surprised if they only offer me $7k/year or so. At that price, SCU wouldn't make sense, I could go to much higher ranked schools for less. Oh well, can't do anything about this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”