In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby CmonSD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:56 am

Waitlisted - pt only

Annoying...going to withdraw.

pobeda
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby pobeda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:43 am

joonhp wrote:admitted to PT via status checker....I applied to both..it also says in the notification box I have been sent a wait list letter...i suppose that's for fulltime.


does this mean i can stay on the waitlist for full time while accepting the offer for part time?


+1

Same here, interested to know the answer.

jdquest
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jdquest » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:00 pm

pobeda wrote:
joonhp wrote:admitted to PT via status checker....I applied to both..it also says in the notification box I have been sent a wait list letter...i suppose that's for fulltime.


does this mean i can stay on the waitlist for full time while accepting the offer for part time?


+1

Same here, interested to know the answer.



No, once you accept the part time offer they take you off the waitlist for the full time

jwbang
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jwbang » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Same here. Got accepted to PT and waitlisted for FT. I hear it's not too difficult to transition from PT to FT after a semester. I'll have to do more research.

M_bear
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby M_bear » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 pm

eyt123 wrote:
jwbang wrote:My status just changed to "in committee" today. Given that there's only one day left, should I take this as a bad sign? I'm part of that illustrious "accepted/waitlisted" email group.


Hate to say it, but I'm 99% sure it's a waitlist offer. I called admissions yesterday and was told FT is full at this point. I got my waitlist offer today after two months of "In Committee" action. Good luck.


I got accepted today via status checker so I am sure they aren't full :D

hulababe522
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby hulababe522 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm

CmonSD wrote:Waitlisted - pt only

Annoying...going to withdraw.


+1

star10
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby star10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

I was WL'ed yesterday as well...I applied back in October.

159/3.57...I was actually a little surprised on this one.

eyt123
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby eyt123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:02 pm

M_bear wrote:
eyt123 wrote:
jwbang wrote:My status just changed to "in committee" today. Given that there's only one day left, should I take this as a bad sign? I'm part of that illustrious "accepted/waitlisted" email group.


Hate to say it, but I'm 99% sure it's a waitlist offer. I called admissions yesterday and was told FT is full at this point. I got my waitlist offer today after two months of "In Committee" action. Good luck.


I got accepted today via status checker so I am sure they aren't full :D


hmmmm -- maybe they were exaggerating? would you mind sharing your numbers? FT or PT?

M_bear
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby M_bear » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm

eyt123 wrote:
M_bear wrote:
eyt123 wrote:
jwbang wrote:My status just changed to "in committee" today. Given that there's only one day left, should I take this as a bad sign? I'm part of that illustrious "accepted/waitlisted" email group.


Hate to say it, but I'm 99% sure it's a waitlist offer. I called admissions yesterday and was told FT is full at this point. I got my waitlist offer today after two months of "In Committee" action. Good luck.


I got accepted today via status checker so I am sure they aren't full :D


hmmmm -- maybe they were exaggerating? would you mind sharing your numbers? FT or PT?


I was admitted to the full time program with a 162 and 3.3

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Neil » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:17 pm

.
Last edited by Neil on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joonhp
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby joonhp » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:09 pm

jwbang wrote:Same here. Got accepted to PT and waitlisted for FT. I hear it's not too difficult to transition from PT to FT after a semester. I'll have to do more research.



Transfer in after a semester? That would be very appealing.

I just confirmed with the admissions office...once you accept PT, you are off the waitlist for FT.

jwbang
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jwbang » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm

But could you technically put yourself on the waitlist until the last moment, before paying the deposit fee for PT? I'd like to see what my results are.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby superflush » Sat May 01, 2010 1:02 am

joonhp wrote:Transfer in after a semester? That would be very appealing.


I don't know if you can change from PT to FT after a semester, but people definitely do it after a year.

cubedweller
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby cubedweller » Wed May 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Anyone know if there has been any movement on the WL?

User avatar
v. dentata
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby v. dentata » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Waitlisted for both FT and PT. Applied early January, 168/2.5. Trying to decide on FT with $10,000 yearly at McGeorge, FT Golden Gate, or PT Santa Clara (because if I'm accepted, it will probably be for part time). If I'm accepted for FT at Santa Clara, I'm attending.

joonhp
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby joonhp » Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 am

has anyone who was accepted last week receive their acceptance material in the mail yet? i live in SoCal, but I still have yet to receive anything.

valley splitter
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm

What do you guys think about Santa Clara's drop in the rankings? I know I want to do BigLaw and that I would be happy attending and graduating from Santa Clara. I love the school, I met some if not all of my closest friends there and have great memories, but I'm wondering how much of an impact a drop in the rankings will have. I don't really want to do IP work, I have a strong desire to do corporate/transactional work at a domestic or international level and I have seen that, in the past few years, a lot of the firms I would want to work at have participated at OCI. In addition, I want to do a JD/MBA and Santa Clara is one of the few schools I could complete both degrees in 3 years (I would have quite a few courses waived because of my academic background). I want to practice in the Bay Area so I have even more reason to go to Santa Clara, but would attending a higher ranked CA school in Southern California or even one in Illinois present me with better job prospects? I will probably attend Santa Clara unless I get some absurd amount of money from some of the other schools (doubtful at this point) but I'm looking for some reassurance to get me to stay.

Norwood
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Norwood » Thu May 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't think much of the recent drop in rankings... 85 and 93 are pretty much the same.

Although it may be a sign that they aren't headed in the right direction, then again, the USNEWS rankings tend to fluctuate like this year after year. Don't invest too much into the rankings.

valley splitter
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Norwood wrote:I don't think much of the recent drop in rankings... 85 and 93 are pretty much the same.

Although it may be a sign that they aren't headed in the right direction, then again, the USNEWS rankings tend to fluctuate like this year after year. Don't invest too much into the rankings.


I know there is not a huge difference between 85 and 93. I am more concerned about the possibility that the school will drop out of the top 100 in the next year, specifically before my OCI in Fall 2011. That could be a major problem. Then again I guess I could try and protect myself against that by applying to transfer to another school, but I don't want to go into law school thinking I'm going to transfer.

Norwood
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Norwood » Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 pm

well i'd be shocked if scu declines even more, however who knows what can happen. maybe santa clara addresses the issue and jumps up into the rankings or ignores and plummets. But even with a T3 ranking it will still have the same reputation in the Bay Area as it always had, unless a peer school like USF makes a significant jump in rankings.

keeping the possibility of transferring in the back of your mind is okay. i mean you want biglaw right? the only way you're going to get biglaw is if you place top 10% or something. And with that rank the opportunity of transferring will be there for you.

User avatar
sizzle04
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby sizzle04 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:41 pm

valley splitter wrote:What do you guys think about Santa Clara's drop in the rankings? I know I want to do BigLaw and that I would be happy attending and graduating from Santa Clara. I love the school, I met some if not all of my closest friends there and have great memories, but I'm wondering how much of an impact a drop in the rankings will have. I don't really want to do IP work, I have a strong desire to do corporate/transactional work at a domestic or international level and I have seen that, in the past few years, a lot of the firms I would want to work at have participated at OCI. In addition, I want to do a JD/MBA and Santa Clara is one of the few schools I could complete both degrees in 3 years (I would have quite a few courses waived because of my academic background). I want to practice in the Bay Area so I have even more reason to go to Santa Clara, but would attending a higher ranked CA school in Southern California or even one in Illinois present me with better job prospects? I will probably attend Santa Clara unless I get some absurd amount of money from some of the other schools (doubtful at this point) but I'm looking for some reassurance to get me to stay.


http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5
Santa Clara is and will continue to be huge in the bay area.

valley splitter
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 pm

sizzle04 wrote:http://californiabar.globl.org/report.php?mi=lawschool&ma=city&miv=&mav=san+jose&fn=li&li=30&g=2&pp=5
Santa Clara is and will continue to be huge in the bay area.


This is amazing, thanks. I have never come across this but it's really helpful. I'm surprised when I look at Bay Area cities I want to work in - PA and SF - and I did not think PA had such a large number of SCU grads working; more amazing is the fact that SCU and Stanford are equally represented in SF. Despite the lack of detail (aggregate numbers by law firm size) it's helpful. I'm not all that surprised Golden Gate University and USF have such large representation in the city, but then again you have to look at where they are (smaller firms, private practice, etc). This definitely helps me feel better about choosing Santa Clara.

km23
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:35 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby km23 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm

.
Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:51 pm

my 2nd deposit is due june 1st FYI

i think that's a pretty universal 2nd deposit for most people admitted before May

jpla
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby jpla » Thu May 20, 2010 7:29 pm

admissions rejected my appeal for scholarship money. since it stands at $3,000 top 1/4, might as well go to san diego with no money, better school and closer to home.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu and 15 guests