In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drdolittle

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby drdolittle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:55 pm

pegleg wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:A bigger issue is that SCU's just too stingy with scholarships/grants. More generous than USF, but that's not saying much. Much, much less generous than McGeorge, now ranked just a few spots below in T2.

I'm curious, where did you get the statistics about how much aid SCU grants in comparison to USF? I got $0 from USF and 12k and a fee waiver from SCU.

I was not referring to any hard statistics, just generalizations/impressions based on my own experience with these schools and based on reading TLS/LSN over the past several months. It's not saying much for SCU to be more generous than a school that gives very little aid, USF. I'd say SCU gives some aid, but clearly not as much a McGeorge. Definitely, based on your experience and TLS/LSN, SCU is more generous than USF. Exceptions exist, but I believe my statement is accurate, as a generalization. Your offers prove my point.

cwkenneth

Postby cwkenneth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 pm

drdolittle wrote:
pegleg wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:A bigger issue is that SCU's just too stingy with scholarships/grants. More generous than USF, but that's not saying much. Much, much less generous than McGeorge, now ranked just a few spots below in T2.

I'm curious, where did you get the statistics about how much aid SCU grants in comparison to USF? I got $0 from USF and 12k and a fee waiver from SCU.

I was not referring to any hard statistics, just generalizations/impressions based on my own experience with these schools and based on reading TLS/LSN over the past several months. It's not saying much for SCU to be more generous than a school that gives very little aid, USF. I'd say SCU gives some aid, but clearly not as much a McGeorge. Definitely, based on your experience and TLS/LSN, SCU is more generous than USF. Exceptions exist, but I believe my statement is accurate, as a generalization. Your offers prove my point.

+1

Completely agree based on my personal experience in the admission process with all four schools. Chapman is the best option out of the three USF, UoP, and Santa Clara from a cost/scholarship to rankings perspective.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:31 pm

cwkenneth wrote:+1

Completely agree based on my personal experience in the admission process with all four schools. Chapman is the best option out of the three USF, UoP, and Santa Clara from a cost/scholarship to rankings perspective.

Yeah, Chapman definitely appears to be the most generous out of these schools, and probably the most well funded too.

g8t13

Postby g8t13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

SCU is better respected than any of the other schools mentioned above in the Bay Area and in CA. Their graduates also make more money after graduation.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

g8t13 wrote:SCU is better respected than any of the other schools mentioned above in the Bay Area and in CA. Their graduates also make more money after graduation.

All true, at least now, but this was not really the point.

g8t13

Postby g8t13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I just wanted to emphasize that SCU is probably worth investing in over those schools because it has better career prospects (for now).

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:15 pm

cwkenneth wrote:

Somewhat agree also. Chapman is a relatively new school and has only been around for two decades. This jump into the ratings may be a sign that they are up and coming. The campus is going through a longterm project and it has been certainly transformed.

That said, it is the best option for someone considering USF, UOP, and SCU who wants to practice down south. If you want to remain in norcal then those three schools are pretty much equal. The quality of education among these peer schools are about on the same level, maybe with minor differences in certain areas. McGeorge dishing out money will be the winner with many applicants who don't mind being stuck in Sacramento. We have seen this be the case since USF has been pretty stingy on money and SCU has some tight strings attached to their scholarships, meanwhile UOP has handed out some attractive packages. As with any low ranking tier 2, if you manage to rank high in your class then you'll be fine. If you don't then you'll have trouble finding a job. There isn't a clear runaway choice out of these peer schools as many may have seen in the past few yrs.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:09 pm

drdolittle wrote:
pegleg wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

SCU really needs to rethink its financial aid approach, and stop acting like such a cash cow. It's a good school, with above average career prospects for a T2, and I would have strongly considered it over Hastings if they had offered anywhere close to the kinds of money that Loyola and USD did.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

swheat wrote:SCU really needs to rethink its financial aid approach, and stop acting like such a cash cow. It's a good school, with above average career prospects for a T2, and I would have strongly considered it over Hastings if they had offered anywhere close to the kinds of money that Loyola and USD did.

+1.

I thought the 8k per year with a top 25% stipulation that they offered was pretty stingy, especially considering what similarly ranked or higher ranked schools have offered.

jpla

Postby jpla » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

3k/top 25% is very very stingy... I sent in my appeal for more.

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

hopefulIPgirl

Postby hopefulIPgirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Last edited by hopefulIPgirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbycortez

Postby bobbycortez » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm

i checked the box to be considered for PT if they could not offer me FT... ONLY BECAUSE I NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD NOT OFFER ME FT! anybody know anything about the chances of getting into FT from PT before starting? Easier than getting in from a waitlist?

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Just withdrew from the FT program. Hope one of you still waiting gets my spot!

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Just withdrew with a 12k scholarship. Enjoy, somebody out there!

jdquest

Postby jdquest » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm

2nd review heading into the last week of April. Still waiting on SCU to do something...did anybody else who recieved the email get back into committee yet?

hopefulIPgirl

Postby hopefulIPgirl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Last edited by hopefulIPgirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Anyone know about private sector job prospects outside of IP, anecdotal or otherwise.?

Thanks!

ckdfour

Postby ckdfour » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

#s: 3.5 GPA (UCLA), 159 LSAT

I applied for the PT program only

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

FYI: there was a big batch of deadlines due last friday (mine included)

so i'm sure they will be sending out another batch based on the response from that deadline

km23

Postby km23 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdquest

Postby jdquest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 am

I'm starting to believe that local law schools with similar rankings are in cahoots with eachother...holding off admission decisions to force people on the fence to drop seat deposits for insurance...lol who knows.

santacruz143

Postby santacruz143 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Finally! In via status checker today. =)

km23

Postby km23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

santacruz143

Postby santacruz143 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 pm

km23 wrote:
santacruz143 wrote:Finally! In via status checker today. =)

Congrats! Were you part of the WL or Accept email group earlier this month?! What does your status checker say?

I did not receive the email. Went complete 3/10, have been in committee, then changed today to Accepted. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”