In at Santa Clara!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scolinos

New

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Post by scolinos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Did a campus tour and sat in on a constitutional law class. The campus is beautiful, and the class was taught excellently. Really.

I talked with finaid in person about grants/scholarships. Apparently, according to the girl I spoke with, there's either merit based aid OR need based aid (grants) but not both. She said the top 25% requirement isn't easily negotiable, but that you can argue to keep a portion of your scholly if you stay near the top of the class.

Fletch

New

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Just went into second review...
Could be worse I guess.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for that newsletter just now. That's really what I've been looking for. No, really, thank you.

shanoodle

New

Post by shanoodle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

primusux wrote:Thanks for that newsletter just now. That's really what I've been looking for. No, really, thank you.
Yeah, that was pretty much awful.

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Another question: I've been sitting on a near-complete LOCI. I got the email yesterday about being accepted or waitlisted, so should I send the LOCI now or after I've been waitlisted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 am

Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:29 am

km23 wrote:
v. dentata wrote:Another question: I've been sitting on a near-complete LOCI. I got the email yesterday about being accepted or waitlisted, so should I send the LOCI now or after I've been waitlisted?
I'm wondering the same thing. Also, did any of you apply FT with "will consider PT." I am starting to think that it doesn't really matter and they would rather WL first for FT before even considering us for PT.
I get the feeling PT v. FT doesn't matter also...I applied PT only and just got that email, but people I know have been accepted into ft w/ scholarships with my numbers. I hate waiting. :?

hopefulIPgirl

New

Post by hopefulIPgirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Anything? Anyone? This is so stressful!

bobbycortez

New

Post by bobbycortez » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:34 pm

hopefulIPgirl wrote:Anything? Anyone? This is so stressful!
still in committee 2/5/2010!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm

My status checker changed from in committee 3/11 to in committee 4/1 a week ago. Not sure if this really means anything or not? If I were to guess, I think they will send a batch of notices next week, most likely next thursday or friday. Good luck

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Decision mailed today. I don't recall what the status checker said before, but, it has dollar values for the seat deposits now. Is that an indication of acceptance?

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 pm

primusux wrote:Decision mailed today. I don't recall what the status checker said before, but, it has dollar values for the seat deposits now. Is that an indication of acceptance?
Yes Im confident based off of previous acceptances that $ signs means you are in! Congrats. When were you complete and would you mind sharing your stats or PM them to me.

Thanks!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 pm

In via status checker. I think. If having seat deposits due means I'm accepted that is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shanoodle

New

Post by shanoodle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Decision mailed today with no deposits listed. I can only assume a ding.

cbliang

New

Post by cbliang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm

I smell a REJECTION coming in the mail... DR today and no seat deposit $ values. :cry:

hulababe522

New

Post by hulababe522 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 am

Status checker changed to 2nd Review today.

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:59 am

Anyone have an answer to my "should I send an LOCI post-email, pre-waitlist" question?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 am

Decision mailed with seat deposits. My student status said Part Time instead of fulltime. I guess I was accepted into the part time program even though full time was my first choice. Oh well. I really wanted to go to Santa Clara because of the IP program, but I've already mailed my deposit to UGA.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 pm

v. dentata wrote:Anyone have an answer to my "should I send an LOCI post-email, pre-waitlist" question?

the future is up to you. I smell competition. no one wants to give you an answer.

godspeed821

New

Post by godspeed821 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:27 pm

my status went to decision mailed on 4/5 with zeros in the deposit section. I received my acceptance letter this morning. Not sure whats going on with my deposit amounts. I was sweating bullets. My letter says that my first deposit is due (postmarked) two weeks from the date on my letter.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 pm

v. dentata wrote:Anyone have an answer to my "should I send an LOCI post-email, pre-waitlist" question?
You could send one. If you think they might be considered about your genuine interest to attend, then it'd be a good idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I went to visit the SCU School of Law on Friday as an admitted student. The campus is gorgeous! I was able to sit in on a Property class taught by Professor Armstrong, which was rigorous and engaging. She used the Socratic method, but only on one student, and it wasn't too intimidating. On a side note, 95% of the students were using Mac laptops (and since I was in the back I could see that many of the students were on Facebook, IM'ing each other, and doing online shopping, which I thought was rather odd and somewhat disrespectful.) I definitely was not impressed by the law library (talk about gloomy and OLD) but the UG library is awesome! It has very nice study rooms law students can reserve that have maybe 50" flat screen monitors that you can hook your computers up to and the entire back wall of the study room is a white board. The student union is nice and has a meditation room. I also thought the moot court room was very nicely appointed.

Students seemed very friendly, not cutthroat at all. After class, several students approached me to ask me how I liked the class, and one student gave me his name/e-mail and told me to contact him in the fall and he'd give me the inside scope about being a 1L. I also spoke with Professor Armstrong, who was very kind and she told me to e-mail her if I had any questions between now and August.

While the campus is beautiful, the areas surrounding campus are an endless succession of unattractive strip malls (this was mostly on El Camino Real). I think one might need to leave the immediate area to find things to do, but I didn't get to explore the SC/SJ too much.

The 1L who gave the tour said he knew that a lot of his friends were having a tough time finding summer employment, but he also said that they weren't trying very hard, and/or started looking too late. However, the student giving the tour had secured a summer job for himself (unpaid).

I also took a look at some local apartments and was SHOCKED by how expensive they were. The 14K living allowance seems paltry compared to the monstrous South Bay rent. But maybe I looked in the wrong places.

All in all, I think it is a beautiful campus, with warm and friendly staff and students, and competent professors. The Law library is by far the weakest point of the program, but the UG library is close by. I can definitely see myself here.

Sorry this post is sooo long. GL to everyone still waiting!!!

Oh yeah, and while I was in the admissions office waiting to talk to the Dean, I saw a student assistant preparing a GIANT stack of rejection letters (I know because while I was talking to him, I glanced down and the first line said "I regret to inform you..." SCU must have gotten a ton of applications to be rejecting so many people. But there is hope, I also saw a small stack of large envelopes :mrgreen:)

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:24 am

phoenix323 wrote:I definitely was not impressed by the law library (talk about gloomy and OLD) but the UG library is awesome!
This is true.

J Burrito

Bronze

Post by J Burrito » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Anyone have experience in getting seat deposits back? I am under the impression that they're non-refundable and I am SOL, but it's worth a try.

wswalt

New

Post by wswalt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:42 pm

What does everyone think of the Santa Clara area? I keep reading about strip malls being everywhere, but I have never been. I am visiting this week. Are you guys thinking of living in Santa Clara/San Jose or more north closer to the bay?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”