In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bluesickle

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Bluesickle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Malgal wrote:I got the same "held for 2nd review"
Under mailings it says:

Mail Description Mailing Date
Early Decision Letter 11/16/2009
Email - Application Complete 11/02/2009
Email - Application Received 10/19/2009

3.67/157... guessing because my LSAT wasn't great they are admitting students with high numbers from the first round. hoping I have a better chance under the "2nd review"

I'm nervous the letter they mailed on 11/16 is going to say something about being considered with the regular pool of applicants (and having to wait much longer for a decision)

that sucks, I have the exact same numbers.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 pm

I really doubt that "hold for second review" = waitlist. I agree with the notion that you may be placed in with the regular decision applications, which, IMHO, is much better than a waitlist (particularly this early in the cycle).

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, when I applied last year and was waitlisted, I believe the status said "waitlist" or something along those lines. They also went ahead and sent me an email at the time. If anything I'd say it's a better fate to be considered with the other applicants rather than being waitlisted.

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Bluesickle wrote:
Under mailings it says:

3.67/157... guessing because my LSAT wasn't great they are admitting students with high numbers from the first round. hoping I have a better chance under the "2nd review"

I'm nervous the letter they mailed on 11/16 is going to say something about being considered with the regular pool of applicants (and having to wait much longer for a decision)

Me too, similar numbers (157/3.89). But I've been in committee since 11/4 and did not receive this held for 2nd review notice. I'm guessing it might be forthcoming though...

Temka

Postby Temka » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:10 pm

nickc8 wrote:
Bluesickle wrote:
Under mailings it says:

Me too, similar numbers (157/3.89). But I've been in committee since 11/4 and did not receive this held for 2nd review notice. I'm guessing it might be forthcoming though...

I think you are probably in. Splitter status ( 3.9 GPA is good enough with almost any LSAT)

km23

Postby km23 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Last edited by km23 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 pm

km23 wrote:Well folks, I guess some of you were right about what "hold for 2nd review" means.....I just checked my app status and it changed to "Defer to Regular Admissions." I guess it's good that I didn't get rejected at least! good luck everyone!

+1

better than a WL at least? :D

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

km23 wrote:Well folks, I guess some of you were right about what "hold for 2nd review" means.....I just checked my app status and it changed to "Defer to Regular Admissions." I guess it's good that I didn't get rejected at least! good luck everyone!

Same here, definitely better than being outright rejected.

Temka

Postby Temka » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 pm

WOW well thats good! I guess the Representative misinformed me

km23

Postby km23 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Last edited by km23 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Count me in on the "glad it's not a WL" group. I had a poor undergrad GPA, so hopefully my Master's grades at Georgetown will help. 8)

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:52 am

They received my application 11/13 and ordered my report the same day. do you think I will be complete by Nov. 30th for the EA? I hope so!

pedantic_platypus

Postby pedantic_platypus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Here's my time line:

Mailings:
Email - Application Complete 10/29/2009
Email - Application Received 10/20/2009

I've been "In Committee" since the 4th. I'm 160/3.29, out of state. Opinions?

Any chance someone who has been to SCU would mind posting some thoughts on the school? I live across the country, and getting out there to tour for myself might prove difficult unless I pull some kind of "Into the Wild" move.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:32 pm

They received my application 11/13 and ordered my report the same day. do you think I will be complete by Nov. 30th for the EA? I hope so!

Not to burst any bubbles, but I think the EA deadline specifies that your application must be received by November 1st and complete by November 30th--but perhaps I misunderstood when you actually sent in your app.

Any chance someone who has been to SCU would mind posting some thoughts on the school?

I have never been on an official law school tour, but I grew up nearby and have a fair amount of experience with the campus and area itself. First, I think that the campus is beautiful in that 'only in California' kind of way--great landscaping and neatly maintained grounds. The few buildings that I have been inside were fairly new, modern, and similarly well maintained. The campus is fairly small and a little bit quaint, it feels very close-knit and safe. This being said, I have never found Santa Clara to be a particularly urban environment and I think this is evident from the campus and surrounding amenities. Nearby, there are the kinds of stores you would expect to find in a nice suburb, but not a ton else. I think that having a car at Santa Clara would be a must, but there are some public transit options (like Caltrain) very near campus (which is great for going to San Francisco). That being said, Santa Clara is within driving distance of tons of cultural landmarks, museums, great restaurants, etc. so I have never found it particularly isolating in its small town feel.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I spoke with admissions at a law fair and they said as long as you go complete by nov 30 you qualify for EA. I also double checked when I sent my app and they said the same thing. I also received an email saying the same thing. So just hoping I go complete by nov 30.

So long story short, you can send an app in after nov 1st and still qualiify for EA

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I spoke with admissions at a law fair and they said as long as you go complete by nov 30 you qualify for EA. I also double checked when I sent my app and they said the same thing. I also received an email saying the same thing. So just hoping I go complete by nov 30.

So long story short, you can send an app in after nov 1st and still qualiify for EA

I think what they meant is that you can submit the app by Nov 1st, then as long as you are complete by Nov 30th, you are fine.

pedantic_platypus

Postby pedantic_platypus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:05 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:

Not to burst any bubbles, but I think the EA deadline specifies that your application must be received by November 1st and complete by November 30th--but perhaps I misunderstood when you actually sent in your app.

Any chance someone who has been to SCU would mind posting some thoughts on the school?

I have never been on an official law school tour, but I grew up nearby and have a fair amount of experience with the campus and area itself. First, I think that the campus is beautiful in that 'only in California' kind of way--great landscaping and neatly maintained grounds. The few buildings that I have been inside were fairly new, modern, and similarly well maintained. The campus is fairly small and a little bit quaint, it feels very close-knit and safe. This being said, I have never found Santa Clara to be a particularly urban environment and I think this is evident from the campus and surrounding amenities. Nearby, there are the kinds of stores you would expect to find in a nice suburb, but not a ton else. I think that having a car at Santa Clara would be a must, but there are some public transit options (like Caltrain) very near campus (which is great for going to San Francisco). That being said, Santa Clara is within driving distance of tons of cultural landmarks, museums, great restaurants, etc. so I have never found it particularly isolating in its small town feel.

Thanks a lot for this.

Does anyone know much about their schollys? the website isn't super helpful, and on LSN it looks like 160+ and a decent GPA landed you some lovin'.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:This being said, I have never found Santa Clara to be a particularly urban environment and I think this is evident from the campus and surrounding amenities. Nearby, there are the kinds of stores you would expect to find in a nice suburb, but not a ton else. I think that having a car at Santa Clara would be a must, but there are some public transit options (like Caltrain) very near campus (which is great for going to San Francisco). That being said, Santa Clara is within driving distance of tons of cultural landmarks, museums, great restaurants, etc. so I have never found it particularly isolating in its small town feel.

Where would you want to live?

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 am

superflush wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I spoke with admissions at a law fair and they said as long as you go complete by nov 30 you qualify for EA. I also double checked when I sent my app and they said the same thing. I also received an email saying the same thing. So just hoping I go complete by nov 30.

I think what they meant is that you can submit the app by Nov 1st, then as long as you are complete by Nov 30th, you are fine.

yeah thats exactly what they meant... or maybe Nov. 1st is when they would like you to have your application in, but if its not a burden to them, they will still do the EA thing after Nov. 1st

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Where would you want to live?

I've been thinking a bit about where I might want to live, but not too much yet, seeing as though I have yet to be accepted (minor details...)

Its been awhile since I lived in the area, so I'm hesitant to give too many recommendations about this. Personally, I would want to live as close as possible for as cheaply as possible. Santa Clara is very close to San Jose and Sunnyvale, so living outside of Santa Clara wouldn't be out of the question, particularly as the SC campus is right off the freeway. I seem to remember that rents in San Jose were often a bit cheaper than elsewhere, but this might not hold true any longer. I've heard some great things about the Burbank area of Santa Clara/San Jose (south of the university), but I have no idea about availability of housing there. SW of the campus, maybe 5 or 10 minutes away, there is also a nice mall called Valley Fair that is surrounded by a ton of shops and restaurants, so I imagine living nearby would have some advantages. As long as traffic isn't horrible (never a guarantee) the Santa Clara area is pretty easy to traverse by freeway/major expressway streets, so living a little further out could actually be feasible.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:14 pm

nickc8 wrote:
cyberPUNK wrote:
anothernancydrew wrote:I agree--your numbers seem fairly in-line with those who have already gotten in this cycle.

I have been "in committee" since 11/03 (though with lower numbers than yours) and today my status finally refreshed, though it still says "in committee" just with today's date as the date of status.

I'm in the exact same situation, dates and all. This thread is not doing much to alleviate my anxiety, haha.

+1 ...EXACT same situation. I guess some movement is better than none.

+1

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Got the letter in the mail. Officially In. No scholarship information, so will likely be withdrawing soon.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:09 pm

CyLaw wrote:Got the letter in the mail. Officially In. No scholarship information, so will likely be withdrawing soon.

are u assuming that this means they aren't giving u any money?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:12 pm

superflush wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Got the letter in the mail. Officially In. No scholarship information, so will likely be withdrawing soon.

are u assuming that this means they aren't giving u any money?

No, no one else has gotten scholarship information yet, either, so likely they have just not done scholarships yet. But looking at last years data on LSN, there does not seem to be much of scholarship money anyways.

Edit: I just rather not hold a seat against someone else.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:34 pm

CyLaw wrote:No, no one else has gotten scholarship information yet, either, so likely they have just not done scholarships yet. But looking at last years data on LSN, there does not seem to be much of scholarship money anyways.

Edit: I just rather not hold a seat against someone else.

Oh, okay. thats cool. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think that just because they didn't mention scholarship money now, that it means you didn't get any. I think it is usually the case that financial info comes later.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”