In at Santa Clara!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm hoping for a decision today.

I went complete 1/20, went "in committee" on 1/22 (even though I'm pretty sure I was in committee before that and the date changed).

I want to get a date down to check out the school. I lived in Mountain View for a while, now living in San Francisco, and I'd love to walk through campus again (it's gorgeous) with a guide.

BTW, any soccer fans looking at SCU should note: the San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) play at Buckshaw Stadium on campus, at least for the foreseeable future (I believe the 'Quakes are looking to build a stadium, but I'm sure the plans are distant with the pending 49'ers move and fiscal belt tightening).

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Decision Mailed 1/22, submitted 12/22 and I went In Committee within the 1st two weeks of this month.

In please?!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Decision Mailed 1/22, submitted 12/22 and I went In Committee within the 1st two weeks of this month.

In please?!

seat deposits listed?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm

sibley wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Decision Mailed 1/22, submitted 12/22 and I went In Committee within the 1st two weeks of this month.

In please?!

seat deposits listed?
Yes, and they need money by March 1st? That's rather early isn't it?

samwhip7

New

Post by samwhip7 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Anyone know anything about the IP Fellows scholarship they offer, like what kind of numbers usually get it and when it is given out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star10

New

Post by star10 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 am

Hey everyone...

I applied early decision and went complete first week of November. I got deferred to regular admissions and am now in 2nd review (which I've been in for about a month!) I'm starting to get a little concerned...anyone else in the same boat?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 am

Got my packet in the mail today....8k per year. Not too bad, but would probably have to negotiate a little higher to actually attend. If I decide not to attend, I will withdraw ASAP so that I can free up a spot for one of you guys.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 am

savesthedayajb wrote:
sibley wrote:

In please?!

seat deposits listed?
I have moneys listed too... hoping that means I got in. Still haven't gotten a letter (east coast, you know...)

The only thing that's due in March is $200... the larger deposit isn't due until later... probably actually pretty smart of them. Get a few extra seat deposits that way.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 am

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 am

sibley wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
sibley wrote:

In please?!

seat deposits listed?
I have moneys listed too... hoping that means I got in. Still haven't gotten a letter (east coast, you know...)

The only thing that's due in March is $200... the larger deposit isn't due until later... probably actually pretty smart of them. Get a few extra seat deposits that way.
I think the acceptance letter said that the first deposit was due on April 1, even though the status ckecker says March.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm

I went complete on 1/20, in review on 1/22.

I hate waiting. Blah.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:05 pm

My acceptance letter states April 1st and my status checker is the same. I was accepted in November though so maybe they have changed the deposit dates for those admitted later?

Edit: Also decided to go the Admitted Student Event tomorrow. It's at Adobe Lodge and if the law school does things like the undergraduate school does there will be good food there. I had dinner with the Jesuits there a few times and they do it up. Just like the Jesuits in high school.
Last edited by valley splitter on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctaylor21

New

Post by ctaylor21 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 pm

In today via snail mail! Submitted after December LSAT results were released. Pretty excited since this is my first decision this cycle. Hoping/expecting that the small scholarship I received is per year. Anyone know for sure?
I also noticed that the first deposit date is April 1st, despite the status checker indicating March.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

By the way, to be absolutely sure no one misses any important dates, you should check ecampus.

Italia8183

New

Post by Italia8183 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm

ctaylor21 wrote:In today via snail mail! Submitted after December LSAT results were released. Pretty excited since this is my first decision this cycle. Hoping/expecting that the small scholarship I received is per year. Anyone know for sure?
I also noticed that the first deposit date is April 1st, despite the status checker indicating March.

stats?

barry zuckerkorn

New

Post by barry zuckerkorn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 pm

ctaylor21 wrote:In today via snail mail! Submitted after December LSAT results were released. Pretty excited since this is my first decision this cycle. Hoping/expecting that the small scholarship I received is per year. Anyone know for sure?

I know Emery schollys are per year, renewable if in top 25%... pretty tough requirements, but ah, I'm thinking I'll be at SCU in the fall regardless (starting public defender pay in Santa Clara county is around 90k, and their crim. professors dominate).

Anyone who is thinking of negotiating for more money: you have to appeal the financial aid committee by filling out an appeal form.. might be on the website, or email them. I know of someone who has tried, and wasn't successful as a 0L. If you have compelling reasons, might work, otherwise think about applying for the myriad of other scholarships SCU has.. their page has a scholarship for students "in the bottom half of their class and have financial need"... sounds like a sweet deal.

valley splitter, mind posting some thoughts on the admitted students day? couldn't make it.
Last edited by barry zuckerkorn on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:

I know Emery schollys are per year, renewable if in top 25%... pretty tough requirements, but ah, I'm thinking I'll be at SCU in the fall regardless (starting public defender pay in Santa Clara county is around 90k, and their crim. professors dominate).

Anyone who is thinking of negotiating for more money: you have to appeal the financial aid committee by filling out an appeal form.. might be on the website, or email them. I know of someone who has tried, and wasn't successful as a 0L.. I'm hoping mine is. If you have compelling reasons, might work, otherwise think about applying for the myriad of other scholarships SCU has.. their page has a scholarship for students "in the bottom half of their class and have financial need"... sounds like a sweet deal.

valley splitter, mind posting some thoughts on the admitted students day? couldn't make it.
I'll try and post information about the event tomorrow after it. As for negotiating money, where did you hear about this? I got quite a bit, but I would be significantly better off if they could throw another 3-5K per year my way and am thinking about sending an email explaining my new financial situation (don't think parents are going to give me any more money) and plan on completing a JD/MBA (separate scholarships from the Leavey School of Business through the main university). I got a full ride while doing undergrad there so I hope the School of Law can be as generous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phoenix2010

New

Post by phoenix2010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:03 pm

In via snail mail. 8k scholarship. In committee beginning of January, decision mailed 1/22. Visiting campus on Fri. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 pm

phoenix2010 wrote:In via snail mail. 8k scholarship. In committee beginning of January, decision mailed 1/22. Visiting campus on Fri. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back.
Congratulations on being accepted. Have you visited SCU before?

ctaylor21

New

Post by ctaylor21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 am

Italia8183 wrote:

stats?
3.80, 164 from a CSU with some significant community service and international NGO work in Africa.
Italia8183 wrote:

stats?

Was hoping for a little more scholarship love, but the 8K seems pretty standard from what I see on LSN. Thanks for the details of the Emery scholarship. I'll be looking into it a bit more now.

barry zuckerkorn

New

Post by barry zuckerkorn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 pm

This is interesting:

http://law.scu.edu/faculty/profile/uelmen-gerald.cfm

Guy was on the defense team for OJ's trial...well, the one he won, anyway.

If the glove don't fit!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Question about the status checker...

My current status is "In Committee"... is this different from "In Review"? I applied as a Special Applicant to have my application reviewed by a few committees outside of the normal adcomm, so I was just wondering if there was a difference.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Norwood wrote:Question about the status checker...

My current status is "In Committee"... is this different from "In Review"? I applied as a Special Applicant to have my application reviewed by a few committees outside of the normal adcomm, so I was just wondering if there was a difference.
+1

LvingLegend

New

Post by LvingLegend » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm

I will being to the Admitted Students event tonight also.

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Norwood wrote:Question about the status checker...

I did not apply for consideration by any special committees, and my status went to "In committee" as soon as it went complete. FWIW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”