In at Santa Clara!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
valley splitter

Bronze

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Post by valley splitter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:24 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:Did anyone catch the latest NYTimes about how California has begun to release "low threat" prisoners in their attempt to deal with their budget crisis (i.e. reduce overcrowding prisons --> reduction in recidivism rate (highest in the country)? --LinkRemoved-- ... wt=nytimes

My desire to go to a CA school continues to dwindle...
That's fine. They're just releasing impoverished drug addicts who didn't know their rights well enough to avoid arrest. They won't be hanging around the campus.
Having done undergrad at Santa Clara I can attest to this one fact: we lived in a bubble. I saw, without hyperbole, no homeless people during my entire tenure there. A-mazing. Not like some urban schools where homeless are crawling all over the place. No thank you. Eric Cartman is my hero. He jumps over the homeless professionally. Once jumped over 30 homeless people, but could easily have cleared 40 or 50.

ihatethelsat

New

Post by ihatethelsat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I just got in full time with a 5K scholly per year. Pretty confused, I am considering Miami (no scholly), Seattle with a 7K scholly per year, Santa Clara, and hopefully Loyola PT. Help me?
Numbers - 3.3/158

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:38 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:I just got in full time with a 5K scholly per year. Pretty confused, I am considering Miami (no scholly), Seattle with a 7K scholly per year, Santa Clara, and hopefully Loyola PT. Help me?
Numbers - 3.3/158
Choose among these schools based on what you want to do and where you want to work/live post LS.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:00 pm

valley splitter wrote:Having done undergrad at Santa Clara I can attest to this one fact: we lived in a bubble. I saw, without hyperbole, no homeless people during my entire tenure there. A-mazing. Not like some urban schools where homeless are crawling all over the place. No thank you. Eric Cartman is my hero. He jumps over the homeless professionally. Once jumped over 30 homeless people, but could easily have cleared 40 or 50.
There is something to be said for encountering humanity that isn't homogeneous or particularly uplifting. I grew up and lived, until about a year ago, in places that homelessness didn't exist (or at least, that's what you'd believe by walking around).

When you see people struggling to make it through a freezing cold night on the street, it pulls at some heart strings that I believe are requisite for compassion for those other than you family and friends.

DiggyHopeful

New

Post by DiggyHopeful » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Having done undergrad at Santa Clara I can attest to this one fact: we lived in a bubble. I saw, without hyperbole, no homeless people during my entire tenure there. A-mazing. Not like some urban schools where homeless are crawling all over the place. No thank you. Eric Cartman is my hero. He jumps over the homeless professionally. Once jumped over 30 homeless people, but could easily have cleared 40 or 50.
There is something to be said for encountering humanity that isn't homogeneous or particularly uplifting. I grew up and lived, until about a year ago, in places that homelessness didn't exist (or at least, that's what you'd believe by walking around).

When you see people struggling to make it through a freezing cold night on the street, it pulls at some heart strings that I believe are requisite for compassion for those other than you family and friends.
While I will agree with you that there is something to be said for interacting with those different from us I have to say that when you see enough of it, as I did while working in San Francisco, you become desensitized and start wondering why these people tolerate living the way they do. I feel for those that are physically or mentally disabled and are forced into those situations, but for the most part I tend to see young, apparently healthy looking individuals who would rather live on the streets, beg for money, and cause sensory displeasure to those around them instead of getting their acts together. It makes you wonder what choices one made when you see an individual in his mid-twenties standing on the street asking for handouts.

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:43 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:I just got in full time with a 5K scholly per year. Pretty confused, I am considering Miami (no scholly), Seattle with a 7K scholly per year, Santa Clara, and hopefully Loyola PT. Help me?
Numbers - 3.3/158
Wow! That's $12,000 more than me (161, 3.7) and I got 75% scholarship from LLS and $15,000 from USD... Congrats!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

valley splitter wrote:
superflush wrote:This is the only Santa Clara thread right now, right?
there is no Santa Clara 2010 or Santa Clara class of 2013 thread, right?
This is the only thread, but I'm pretty sure it's just for talking about admissions. You should make a Santa Clara Class of 2013 thread though if you're going there. I'll join.
HERE: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112087

moe

New

Post by moe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Went into 2nd review today.

And the wait continues....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Acceptance letter with $14k/year scholly. Will probably withdraw at the end of the week to attend Hastings - hoping my spot and money go to someone who really want them!! Good luck all.

Damon

New

Post by Damon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm

In with 4k/yr scholly (162). Will attend the reception next week. See you guys there.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 am

valley splitter wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

While I will agree with you that there is something to be said for interacting with those different from us I have to say that when you see enough of it, as I did while working in San Francisco, you become desensitized and start wondering why these people tolerate living the way they do. I feel for those that are physically or mentally disabled and are forced into those situations, but for the most part I tend to see young, apparently healthy looking individuals who would rather live on the streets, beg for money, and cause sensory displeasure to those around them instead of getting their acts together. It makes you wonder what choices one made when you see an individual in his mid-twenties standing on the street asking for handouts.
You said it.

Nothing makes you feel less guilty about not giving money to the homeless than a walk down Haight street.

talkingcreds

New

Post by talkingcreds » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:48 am

2nd Review...

better than the alternative i guess?

cheers to those of us twiddling their thumbs for the next 3 weeks...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:04 am

In w/ 8k Emery in the mail today. Little less than I had hoped, having seen some 11k per years given out already.

Enough to keep Santa Clara in the running, though, especially given the cost of in-state "public" schools.

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:17 pm

listed seat deposits apparently means an acceptance. just got mine in the mail with the emery merit scholarship. only $3,000 doesnt say if its semesterly, yearly or just first year. anyone know? also, any experience negotiating? on spring break next week so i am going to check out the school.

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 pm

jpla wrote:listed seat deposits apparently means an acceptance. just got mine in the mail with the emery merit scholarship. only $3,000 doesnt say if its semesterly, yearly or just first year. anyone know? also, any experience negotiating? on spring break next week so i am going to check out the school.

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25

Maybe it's per credit. :shock:

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:15 pm

jpla wrote:listed seat deposits apparently means an acceptance. just got mine in the mail with the emery merit scholarship. only $3,000 doesnt say if its semesterly, yearly or just first year. anyone know? also, any experience negotiating? on spring break next week so i am going to check out the school.

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25
I'm 161, 3.7 from a top 3 CA school and only received $3,000/yr. I don't think they're very negotiation friendly from what I've heard.... as much as I like Santa Clara and would love to live and practice in the South Bay, that scholarship is insultingly low given the two 80k+ scholarships I received from higher ranked California schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:07 pm

in with 159/3.32

going to withdraw

scolinos

New

Post by scolinos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey all, just a few questions.

I got in awhile back, 3.15/161, 3k a year.

My questions are these:

-The 40k tuition is based on only taking 30 units a year, so say I took 16 units one semester and 18 the next, I'm already up in the 45K+ range on tuition alone. Correct? or is it capped at 40k?

-Also, what are the employment prospects. I read on lsn a horrible 85% after 9 mos., fairly accurate?
http://santaclara.lawschoolnumbers.com/

-I'm also weary of the 65% Bar passage rate (as reported by lsn), is this accurate?

thanks

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 pm

according to the official aba data from last year, there was 95.2% employment after 9 months and 75% bar passage rate.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 pm

scolinos wrote:Hey all, just a few questions.

My questions are these:

-The 40k tuition is based on only taking 30 units a year, so say I took 16 units one semester and 18 the next, I'm already up in the 45K+ range on tuition alone. Correct? or is it capped at 40k?

-Also, what are the employment prospects. I read on lsn a horrible 85% after 9 mos., fairly accurate?

-I'm also weary of the 65% Bar passage rate (as reported by lsn), is this accurate?

thanks
First, don't get your information from LSN. That's like using wikipedia for a paper. Bar passage rates can be found on the LSAC website based on legitimate sources. Regarding tuition, your classes are chosen for you your first year. You take 30 units total meaning tuition listed on the website (2010-11 figures are all posted now). Unless you screw up and they make you take the "special class" in which case they might charge you for the extra unit or two (assuming you even get units though I don't see why remedial classes should count towards your degree units).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm

boardride23 wrote:
I'm 161, 3.7 from a top 3 CA school and only received $3,000/yr. I don't think they're very negotiation friendly from what I've heard.... as much as I like Santa Clara and would love to live and practice in the South Bay, that scholarship is insultingly low given the two 80k+ scholarships I received from higher ranked California schools.
Yeah, that offer's a joke considering your numbers and SCU's averages, plus the other scholarships. They do seem to routinely low-ball many well qualified applicants, out of staters maybe a little less so. I guess they just don't want you to attend as much as the other schools...

ddav87

New

Post by ddav87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Ugh got letter telling me April 1st can't be negotiated and they still haven't sent me a financial aid letter all my other schools have. Going to withdraw. 10,000 a year doesn't make up for Santa Clara's high cost of living.

scolinos

New

Post by scolinos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 pm

valley splitter wrote:
scolinos wrote:Hey all, just a few questions.

My questions are these:

thanks
First, don't get your information from LSN. That's like using wikipedia for a paper. Bar passage rates can be found on the LSAC website based on legitimate sources. Regarding tuition, your classes are chosen for you your first year. You take 30 units total meaning tuition listed on the website (2010-11 figures are all posted now). Unless you screw up and they make you take the "special class" in which case they might charge you for the extra unit or two (assuming you even get units though I don't see why remedial classes should count towards your degree units).

Hence the "is this accurate?" taglines. It's just unnerving looking at a possible 150k price tag and thinking you might be unemployed.
As far as the school goes it's one of my tops, and the more I think about it the more I feel like that's where I'll end up.

Also regarding the the price per unit question, it was directed towards those semesters where I actually do get to choose my class schedule.

Thanks though for the tip not to use LSN, it was just one of the many sources I've checked regarding those stats. Of course it was the lowest and scariest, hence hte asking :)

Damon

New

Post by Damon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 am

boardride23 wrote:

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25
I think law school admissions are not as black and white as rankings, gpa, and LSAT numbers. Each school has its own philosophy of admitting students and dishing out scholarships. SCU is a unique tier 2 law school with a reputable overall university environment, boutique personalization, underrated school spirit and a dainty campus. And they know that. I don't think they are as much GPA and LSAT whores as most other law schools. Their rankings could rise substantially if they conformed more. Personally I would choose SCU over any other law school below the top 30, including Davis and Hastings, for all the things I mentioned earlier. I just don't think amount of scholarships always corresponds to rankings and numbers. In fact, many top tier schools have similar traditions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”