In at Santa Clara!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ec2xs

Bronze

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Post by ec2xs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:26 am

I am also in committee as of 11/24. Eagerly awaiting an update! Congrats to those that already got in, hope to join you soon.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:37 am

samwhip7 wrote:Damn, only $6,000 for those numbers? Their 75ths are 161/3.6 I believe.
Yeah it's true..only $6000. I did apply rather late though, around mid-Jan. It will be interesting to see if they offer more aid this year. SCU could really gain alot of ground on Hastings with the UC tuition hikes and everything. But they really need to offer a cost advantage.

I am at Hastings now if anyone has any questions about it (I may have to get back to you in a week or so though).

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 am

went into committee 11/24. hopefully a response soon! my second letter of rec finally arrived at LSAC so hopefully not too many people have read my application

slainte

New

Post by slainte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm

I am in as of yesterday. Pretty pumped. I do have a question though for those of you more familiar with the school. Is it worth paying the high tuition to attend if you are not able to go into IP law, the school's specialty? (I am interested in the idea of studying IP related law but it would be somewhat of a waste since I wouldn't be able to sit for the patent bar due to the lack of a technical background). I understand they also have a strong international law program but that program seems tied to IP law as well in some aspects. Any information on this topic would be very helpful. Thanks!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 pm

slainte wrote:I am in as of yesterday. Pretty pumped. I do have a question though for those of you more familiar with the school. Is it worth paying the high tuition to attend if you are not able to go into IP law, the school's specialty? (I am interested in the idea of studying IP related law but it would be somewhat of a waste since I wouldn't be able to sit for the patent bar due to the lack of a technical background). I understand they also have a strong international law program but that program seems tied to IP law as well in some aspects. Any information on this topic would be very helpful. Thanks!
Are you asking if SCU is worth it at sticker? Depends - I'd say yes if your dream has always been to be a lawyer in the Bay Area and you won't have to borrow more than 100k.

At 150k debt I think every non-T20 school becomes a bad investment.

Reconsider international law...I know a guy at McGeorge trying to go that route. Only job he has found was an internship in Bangalore, and even that is probably more outsourced doc review than it is international law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:17 pm

When does Santa Clara let you know of any scholarships? And I heard it is via postal mail?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:33 pm

a male human wrote:When does Santa Clara let you know of any scholarships? And I heard it is via postal mail?
I called them today and was informed that they're still working out the algorithm. They'll send letters in January.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
a male human wrote:When does Santa Clara let you know of any scholarships? And I heard it is via postal mail?
I called them today and was informed that they're still working out the algorithm. They'll send letters in January.
the algorithm for scholarships?

slainte

New

Post by slainte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Are you asking if SCU is worth it at sticker? Depends - I'd say yes if your dream has always been to be a lawyer in the Bay Area and you won't have to borrow more than 100k.

At 150k debt I think every non-T20 school becomes a bad investment.

Reconsider international law...I know a guy at McGeorge trying to go that route. Only job he has found was an internship in Bangalore, and even that is probably more outsourced doc review than it is international law.
My scores aren't that great (160 3.15) so I doubt I will receive any $ assistance, which is somewhat confirmed by past research (or trolling) where I noticed people with much better numbers received only $6K a year with top 25% requirements to hold onto the dollars.

I'm not overly interested in international law and to be candid I probably won't have a great idea of what I want to practice until after my first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:59 pm

superflush wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:
the algorithm for scholarships?
That's what she said.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I was accepted in late November but I looked at my status checker and it said, under mailings, 12/3/09 but there was no indication of what was sent. Is that just me or did other people get the same thing? It would be nice if it were some kind of information regarding money.

Also, did anyone else get their ecampus passwords? I did undergrad there and decided to logon to check something and it had changed from undergrad to law school ecampus - same ID. A litte while later I got an email welcoming me to Santa Clara's ecampus with my ID. I don't know if I just forced the system to send me the email or what. I'm thinking too much into things...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:39 am

valley splitter wrote:I was accepted in late November but I looked at my status checker and it said, under mailings, 12/3/09 but there was no indication of what was sent. Is that just me or did other people get the same thing? It would be nice if it were some kind of information regarding money.

Also, did anyone else get their ecampus passwords? I did undergrad there and decided to logon to check something and it had changed from undergrad to law school ecampus - same ID. A litte while later I got an email welcoming me to Santa Clara's ecampus with my ID. I don't know if I just forced the system to send me the email or what. I'm thinking too much into things...
Also accepted in November. No recent mailings listed for me. And I also have not receive my ID for the ecampus login.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

CyLaw wrote:And I also have not receive my ID for the ecampus login.
I received mine a day or two ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:05 am

Hey I'm applying to SCU and just had a few questions regarding their PT program. Thankful for any of your answers!

Well first off, are part time decisions made throughout the process like full time decisions... or are they held off to the spring?

Secondly, if my numbers are borderline (maybe even below) FT program would you recommend me just applying straight to the part time program? Or should go with "full time/will consider part time"? Is there any advantage in applying to Only Part Time?

Thanks!

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:19 am

Norwood wrote:Hey I'm applying to SCU and just had a few questions regarding their PT program. Thankful for any of your answers!

Well first off, are part time decisions made throughout the process like full time decisions... or are they held off to the spring?

Secondly, if my numbers are borderline (maybe even below) FT program would you recommend me just applying straight to the part time program? Or should go with "full time/will consider part time"? Is there any advantage in applying to Only Part Time?

Thanks!
I'd go for FT and request to be considered for PT.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 am

Norwood wrote:Well first off, are part time decisions made throughout the process like full time decisions... or are they held off to the spring?
They are almost definitely made in-line with the rest of the decisions.
Norwood wrote:Secondly, if my numbers are borderline (maybe even below) FT program would you recommend me just applying straight to the part time program? Or should go with "full time/will consider part time"? Is there any advantage in applying to Only Part Time?
I would stick with "full time/will consider part time" ... unless you explicitly want PT

samwhip7

New

Post by samwhip7 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 am

Has anyone heard anything about scholarship info yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 pm

samwhip7 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about scholarship info yet?
nothing here yet

Mr.Feeny

New

Post by Mr.Feeny » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:20 pm

just got the ecampus logon thing today....that was incredibly delayed

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:just got the ecampus logon thing today....that was incredibly delayed
got mine today, too

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm

I just got my e-campus login id today too. I was accepted 11/16.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:04 pm

aaaargh. I don't want a Christmas card. I want an acceptance! :lol:

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Dear Santa Clara Office of Admissions,

You should have spent the time you allotted to making that festive holiday card and emailing it to your applicants to making admissions decisions. A meaningful status update would bring a lot more joy, or at least closure, to my holiday season. Only seven more work-days until the 20th, please plan accordingly.

Cheers!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 pm

It probably didn't take them that long to make the card.

moverit

New

Post by moverit » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:27 pm

For a moment I thought they sent me a holiday themed acceptance email. It would have been fitting considering my love of themed parties. Oh well, in the committee I shall wait.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”