In at Santa Clara!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phoenix323

Bronze

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Post by phoenix323 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 pm

wswalt wrote:What does everyone think of the Santa Clara area? I keep reading about strip malls being everywhere, but I have never been. I am visiting this week. Are you guys thinking of living in Santa Clara/San Jose or more north closer to the bay?
Yes, strip malls are abundant, but living too far north puts you at risk for dealing with massive traffic. I was informed by various apartment managers this weekend that even living too far north up El Camino Real can up your commute to 45 minutes.

So, while Santa Clara doesn't look to be the most attractive city on Earth, I am opting to live as close to campus as possible, at least for 1L. I want to be able to focus on my studies and, to me, a lengthy commute will not help me do that.

Also, I heard some parts of SJ can be dangerous, so you might want to check the crime statistics for any neighborhood you are considering.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:05 pm

wswalt wrote:What does everyone think of the Santa Clara area? I keep reading about strip malls being everywhere, but I have never been. I am visiting this week. Are you guys thinking of living in Santa Clara/San Jose or more north closer to the bay?
Honestly, I think the city of Santa Clara & Sunnyvale are kinda depressing.
Are you going to the ASD this weekend?
fYI, for anyone who is committed, semi-committed, or who wants to be committed, we have a class of 2013 up and running: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112087

wswalt

New

Post by wswalt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 am

superflush wrote:
fYI, for anyone who is committed, semi-committed, or who wants to be committed, we have a class of 2013 up and running: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112087

I'm visiting this weekend, but I'm not even an admitted student. I was one those applicants that received an email last week saying that we would be either accepted or waitlisted by the end of April. I didn't even know it was the ASD this weekend. That was bad timing on my part. I'm hoping my visit will improve my chances of getting accepted instead of just waitlisted.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Withdrew with 11K scholly - Good luck to those still waiting!!

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I too will be withdrawing later this week. 12k scholarship. Hope it helps someone out!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 am

superflush wrote:
Sunnyvale is definitely depressing.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

SCU drops to 93rd? tied with Chapman??

Are these two schools seriously equivalent? Or is it safe to say rankings don't mean much.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Norwood wrote:SCU drops to 93rd? tied with Chapman??

Are these two schools seriously equivalent? Or is it safe to say rankings don't mean much.

Its safe to say Santa Clara is ranked below Hofstra now :lol:

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Norwood wrote:SCU drops to 93rd? tied with Chapman??

I would not have imagined SCU dropping AND Chapman moving above it.

SCU was in the 70's a few years ago right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Santa Clara at 93 and Pacific at 98 is a pretty strange dynamic. I bet there are quite a few people sitting on a big scholly offer from Pacific and not very much at all from Santa Clara...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Just withdrew from Santa Clara (if you can officially do that from your Blackberry).

Should put 18k back into the pot. When I saw that I had an email response from their financial aid department, I was hoping that they were scrambling in a panic after reading TLS and that they'd be willing to negotiate the GPA stip. But nope, no budge.

gswfan

New

Post by gswfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Trifles wrote:Santa Clara at 93 and Pacific at 98 is a pretty strange dynamic. I bet there are quite a few people sitting on a big scholly offer from Pacific and not very much at all from Santa Clara...
Word. I was accepted into UOP's full time program with 10k. In PT at SCU with no money.

edit: I turned now UOP. Egggh

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Just noticed Santa Clara isn't even in the top 10 for the IP rankings anymore. I mean how can you be located in Santa Clara of all places and not do well in IP?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Not pleased at all about the ratings. I might as well stay in my hometown and go to McGeorge. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Anyone got any theories about why the big drop? Especially in IP?

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 pm

was dead set on attending, sending a deposit to pitt now. this is some really shitty news.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Yeah, I withdrew from some other higher ranked schools because I believed SCU to be an underrated gem.

Now it seems like I might end up paying 150K for a school that might be a Tier 3 by the time I graduate. I hope the financial aid office starts doling out some more money...

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I could care less about this drop. The rankings fluctuate and will go back up. I am still waiting and would love to have someone's spot who does not want it :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Last edited by jpla on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 pm

love the location, but that bubble is damn frightening, even if it is consistent. will have to do some hard thinking over the next few days. nothing to say it won't just slip out of the rankings at some point. i may end up requesting more money and if that fails just withdraw. best of luck to everyone!

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 am

Temka wrote:I could care less about this drop. The rankings fluctuate and will go back up. I am still waiting and would love to have someone's spot who does not want it :D
Likewise.

santacruz143

New

Post by santacruz143 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 am

Seems to be a pretty quiet week. Has anyone heard anything? The suspense is killing me. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 pm

santacruz143 wrote:Seems to be a pretty quiet week. Has anyone heard anything? The suspense is killing me. :|
They might be figuring out how to go about the rest of admissions after their ranking drop. They could be more selective to get the rankings up, or they may realize that people may be deterred due to the drop and want to admit more people.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Yeah, I withdrew from some other higher ranked schools because I believed SCU to be an underrated gem.

Now it seems like I might end up paying 150K for a school that might be a Tier 3 by the time I graduate. I hope the financial aid office starts doling out some more money...
I feel bad for you, although a single year drop is probably meaningless. A bigger issue is that SCU's just too stingy with scholarships/grants. More generous than USF, but that's not saying much. Much, much less generous than McGeorge, now ranked just a few spots below in T2. While McGeorge is definitely in a crappy area, SCU is in a bland suburb that's not worth the price difference (assuming more McGeorge $), in my opinion. I've seen people on TLS and LSN turn down some decent money at SCU to attend Davis/Hastings for full price, so clearly these applicants were low-balled by SCU. Simply relying on the IP specialty ranking to draw students will prove to be a mistake for SCU, as the latest specialty ranking drop suggests.

Also, maybe you could contact the schools you turned down earlier and ask to be reinstated?

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:08 pm

2nd review today...fricken yay :cry:

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:45 pm

drdolittle wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:A bigger issue is that SCU's just too stingy with scholarships/grants. More generous than USF, but that's not saying much. Much, much less generous than McGeorge, now ranked just a few spots below in T2.
I'm curious, where did you get the statistics about how much aid SCU grants in comparison to USF? I got $0 from USF and 12k and a fee waiver from SCU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”