Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
CyLaw wrote::idea:

How many of the deferrals (Edit: with numbers that should have gotten a decision) are retaking the LSAT in December or February or marked on their Cornell Application that they may be retaking it?

I know of at least two, Pearalegal and Matypete.

I would also like to know about any Cornell fee waivers the deferred people got.

So you're calling tomorrow?

Don't you find it interesting that a 11/24 in CA received their deferral but you have yet to receive anything!?!

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:06 pm

How many of the deferrals (Edit: with numbers that should have gotten a decision) are retaking the LSAT in December or February or marked on their Cornell Application that they may be retaking it?

Seriously? - they should have expected deferrals. I doubt all these defers are retakers, but if they are, well, that would explain it all...

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Veritas wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I would also like to know about any Cornell fee waivers the deferred people got.

Don't you find it interesting that a 11/24 in CA received their deferral but you have yet to receive anything!?!

You, helmholtz, and I still ahvne't heard anything. that's odd. :)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Veritas wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm going to call early tomorrow morning, tell them I'm going to be out of town (which I will), ask if they can give me my decision over the phone, and then give my name + LSAC number to them if they say yes.

I will update everybody around 9:30 AM as to what they told me.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm going to call early tomorrow morning, tell them I'm going to be out of town (which I will), ask if they can give me my decision over the phone, and then give my name + LSAC number to them if they say yes.

I will update everybody around 9:30 AM as to what they told me.

I can't wait. If your not in... that would be a surprised.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm

ruleser wrote:

Seriously? - they should have expected deferrals. I doubt all these defers are retakers, but if they are, well, that would explain it all...

Just a guess for some.

BTW, where the 'tar go. I liked him.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm

avacado111 wrote:I can't wait. If your not in... that would be a surprised.

Especially to me. I was operating under the assumption that early decision = acceptance, so, considering the lack of any other LS news for me, that's what I told all my family over Thanksgiving. :oops: :oops: :oops:

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:14 pm

I was decision render on 11/24 also and I haven't received anything. I'm located in D.C so I can't imagine how the west coast would get their information before I did just a few (hundred) miles down the East Coast. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I got deferred from Cornell but I am anxious to receive my letter because its my first one.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

ruleser wrote:
avacado111 wrote:I mean. Maybe they are not YP, but they are predicting a huge app increase this year? So they are holding apps?

Could be anything - maybe they want to see what other schools admit so they can better gauge where they need to be. Like playing poker and having your opponents show their cards before you place your bet - not a bad move if that's it in such an odd year.

If Cornell is doing this, I think it's a questionable move, particularly with respect to stronger applicants. I did not blithely apply to Cornell. If admitted, I will give them serious consideration. Outside of H/Y/S, I like Cornell as much as any school, including some, like Columbia and Virginia, that are ranked higher.

But if Cornell defers me, I will probably remove them from consideration. It's not great marketing to encourage applicants to apply early just so you can tell the applicants they might not be good enough for your school. I mean, if they want to play the "wait and see" game, then they shouldn't offer early action.

At this point, however, it's all speculation. When the dust clears, Cornell may end up admitting most of the EA applicants who are above their medians.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

The speculation never ends. >_>

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
avacado111 wrote:I can't wait. If your not in... that would be a surprised.

Especially to me. I was operating under the assumption that early decision = acceptance, so, considering the lack of any other LS news for me, that's what I told all my family over Thanksgiving. :oops: :oops: :oops:

the fact you live 400 miles and did not get a letter says something :) you should be fine. Good luck!!!!!

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:16 pm

misslawyer2013 wrote:I was decision render on 11/24 also and I haven't received anything. I'm located in D.C so I can't imagine how the west coast would get their information before I did just a few (hundred) miles down the East Coast. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I got deferred from Cornell but I am anxious to receive my letter because its my first one.

someone in dc got a def. letter. so it may be good that we haven't heard back.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Dignan wrote:If Cornell is doing this, I think it's a questionable move, particularly with respect to stronger applicants. I did not blithely apply to Cornell. If admitted, I will give them serious consideration. Outside of H/Y/S, I like Cornell as much as any school, including some, like Columbia and Virginia, that are ranked higher.

But if Cornell defers me, I will probably remove them from consideration. It's not great marketing to encourage applicants to apply early just so you can tell the applicants they might not be good enough for your school. I mean, if they want to play the "wait and see" game, then they shouldn't offer early action.

At this point, however, it's all speculation. When the dust clears, Cornell may end up admitting most of the EA applicants who are above their medians.

Good point - I'm now interested to know how many are Dec/Feb retakers. Would be silly if that's all this turned out to be...

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:54 pm

kpd-m wrote:
I certainly like your optimism. I know of another TLSer (tintin) with my numbers and almost the same complete date, and neither of us have heard.

Edit: Oh, hey tintin. I was just talking about you...

hey hey...yeah, i'm hoping the fact that those who have applied later have gotten decisions/deferrals bodes well for us....fingers crossed!

I'm curious about what monday will bring, I think if my checker says decision I'll just call and ask if they can tell me over the phone....

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:58 pm

1k post.

yay.

I can't wait until tomorrow.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Dignan wrote:... If Cornell is doing this, I think it's a questionable move, particularly with respect to stronger applicants. I did not blithely apply to Cornell. If admitted, I will give them serious consideration. Outside of H/Y/S, I like Cornell as much as any school, including some, like Columbia and Virginia, that are ranked higher.

I wish I could share that sentiment, but in reality, it's such a sellers' market that a top school like Cornell has every incentive to mess with our heads in order to improve its own positioning, whether its motives/methods are apparent to us or not. I mean no disrespect to anyone deferred (especially since I assume I'll wind up in the same boat tomorrow), but would it not be foolish of Cornell to pass up the opportunity to take advantage of applicants' desperation? Sucks for us, but seems to make sense for them.

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:24 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Dignan wrote:... If Cornell is doing this, I think it's a questionable move, particularly with respect to stronger applicants. I did not blithely apply to Cornell. If admitted, I will give them serious consideration. Outside of H/Y/S, I like Cornell as much as any school, including some, like Columbia and Virginia, that are ranked higher.

I wish I could share that sentiment, but in reality, it's such a sellers' market that a top school like Cornell has every incentive to mess with our heads in order to improve its own positioning, whether its motives/methods are apparent to us or not. I mean no disrespect to anyone deferred (especially since I assume I'll wind up in the same boat tomorrow), but would it not be foolish of Cornell to pass up the opportunity to take advantage of applicants' desperation? Sucks for us, but seems to make sense for them.

Why do you expect to hear something in the mail tomorrow? Didn't most people who were deferred receive their decisions by mail already?

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:25 pm

This thread is over 40 pages long and not a single person has even been accepted, wow....

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:42 pm

march319 wrote:Why do you expect to hear something in the mail tomorrow? Didn't most people who were deferred receive their decisions by mail already?

Several did, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that my status went DR 11/24 and I haven't heard anything. Since we haven't confirmed that anyone's been accepted, I'm bracing myself for deferral/purgatory. Of course, I'll post when I do hear something; doesn't really matter if it's tomorrow or later.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:44 pm

ksgator wrote:This thread is over 40 pages long and not a single person has even been accepted, wow....

+1000 :?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 pm

As somebody pointed out, Cornell has a very small class. They likely won't be admitting the bulk of the class in December and need to wait and see how it shakes out. What looks like YP may just be the school trying to get a sense of what its class looks like.

My freshman year of UG the school had a better matriculation rate than usual. Dozens of kids were housed, at university expense, in downtown hotel rooms for several months. I'm sure Cornell has to bear this in mind.

Maybe a deferral is a good thing. I'm still just EA Complete. I wrote Why Cornell and have >75th LSAT, but maybe I'm not deferred right now only because I've already been tracked into a WL or OUT pile. Count yourselves lucky that Cornell only said 'not no.' Think of it as passing the first hurdle - if you are deferred then Cornell has declared that you aren't auto-reject. If you guys were that bad, you could be stagnating somewhere in a WL or OUT pile and get the bad news a week before Christmas.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Every school is expecting a surge in applications, per Illinois Dean Pless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell is trying to bump it's medians. The vast majority of applications are sent in December and January and I wouldn't be surpised if Cornell just wishes to see the lay of the land.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:59 pm

ksgator wrote:This thread is over 40 pages long and not a single person has even been accepted, wow....

Yeah. WTF are you guys all talking about?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

NayBoer wrote:As somebody pointed out, Cornell has a very small class. They likely won't be admitting the bulk of the class in December and need to wait and see how it shakes out. What looks like YP may just be the school trying to get a sense of what its class looks like.

My freshman year of UG the school had a better matriculation rate than usual. Dozens of kids were housed, at university expense, in downtown hotel rooms for several months. I'm sure Cornell has to bear this in mind.

Maybe a deferral is a good thing. I'm still just EA Complete. I wrote Why Cornell and have >75th LSAT, but maybe I'm not deferred right now only because I've already been tracked into a WL or OUT pile. Count yourselves lucky that Cornell only said 'not no.' Think of it as passing the first hurdle - if you are deferred then Cornell has declared that you aren't auto-reject. If you guys were that bad, you could be stagnating somewhere in a WL or OUT pile and get the bad news a week before Christmas.

You're a serious splitter - very interested to see how your cycle plays out. Interesting you got an interview with GULC, definitely curious to see what Cornell does...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Every school is expecting a surge in applications, per Illinois Dean Pless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell is trying to bump it's medians. The vast majority of applications are sent in December and January and I wouldn't be surpised if Cornell just wishes to see the lay of the land.

I understand trying to boost their medians, but deferring people with possible CCN numbers (or, at least CCN numbers in the '09 app cycle)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”