Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ppa840
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ppa840 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:20 pm

flcath wrote:
ruleser wrote:
Veritas wrote:Here we are trying to figure it all out, they probably were just like, "Hey, let's just leave early for Thanksgiving this year, we'll defer all those EA's until later..."

I think this is probably more accurate than some of theories being thrown around, especially given that no one has actually been accepted yet.

I'm calling (or maybe emailing) and asking for special consideration, i.e., review before the stated February 1st start date. We'll see how that goes over...



Please tell us if that works...would be interesting to know

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Matypete wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.


Do you mind telling us your stats?


3.85/163.

So it has nothing to do with numbers. That leads me to believe that they just want to clear the pile early (and get rid of people with low numbers like myself).


Not necessarily true. kpd-m had a 168/3.9 or so and was asked to be EA as well.

Does anyone have an idea of when all the people who were deferred went EA complete? I'm wondering if they are looking at all the applicants as a whole, or going by first come first serve?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Matypete wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.


Do you mind telling us your stats?


3.85/163.

So it has nothing to do with numbers. That leads me to believe that they just want to clear the pile early (and get rid of people with low numbers like myself).

But if they wanted to clear the pile, why would they then defer so many back to the pile?

Veritas: I know, it was for Halloween - but I grew fond of his smile. I think it's time to get some better karma with a hot female av or something, I'll surf around a bit...
Last edited by ruleser on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby flcath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:24 pm

ppa840 wrote:
flcath wrote:
ruleser wrote:
Veritas wrote:Here we are trying to figure it all out, they probably were just like, "Hey, let's just leave early for Thanksgiving this year, we'll defer all those EA's until later..."

I think this is probably more accurate than some of theories being thrown around, especially given that no one has actually been accepted yet.

I'm calling (or maybe emailing) and asking for special consideration, i.e., review before the stated February 1st start date. We'll see how that goes over...



Please tell us if that works...would be interesting to know

Yeah I will. Bear in mind, (a) I have an actual reason for asking, (b) I still don't expect it to work, and (c) even if they do agree to review mine before February 1st, I'm a median applicant so it'll probably be a ding regardless.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:24 pm

ruleser wrote:
Matypete wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.


Do you mind telling us your stats?


3.85/163.

So it has nothing to do with numbers. That leads me to believe that they just want to clear the pile early (and get rid of people with low numbers like myself).

But if they wanted to clear the pile, why would they then defer so many back to the pile?

Veritas: I know, it was for Thanksgiving - but I grew fond of his smile. I think it's time to get some better karma with a hot female av or something, I'll surf around a bit...

And I just thought you were a Twilight fan or something.... :wink:

I'm going to be keeping Butters for a while, I think. I feel he is a good cartoon representation of myself.

User avatar
Matypete
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:26 pm

In response to several posts, it could be that Cornell is truly taking a holistic approach to the app process. I do have excellent softs/recommendations... But its more likely that they're offering EA to people with higher numbers and good softs to get them in early and offering EA to people with lower numbers to get them out early. It would be a way of maximizing their efficiency I guess...

This is mere speculation though.
Last edited by Matypete on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matypete
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Question: To those who were offered EA, did you accept it?

User avatar
panadera
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby panadera » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.


Do you mind telling us your stats?


3.85/163.

So it has nothing to do with numbers. That leads me to believe that they just want to clear the pile early (and get rid of people with low numbers like myself).


Not necessarily true. kpd-m had a 168/3.9 or so and was asked to be EA as well.

Does anyone have an idea of when all the people who were deferred went EA complete? I'm wondering if they are looking at all the applicants as a whole, or going by first come first serve?



Haha, I was totally about to put my stats since someone asked me. Seeing this made me jump a bit.

I was looking at LSN and there are very few people who put the "decision" dates up, and their complete dates are wide-ranging. I wondered if it was "first come first serve" too (especially since I applied early).

Edit: I did accept EA.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Chargers are kicking ass right now!

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:31 pm

kpd-m wrote:Haha, I was totally about to put my stats since someone asked me. Seeing this made me jump a bit.

I was looking at LSN and there are very few people who put the "decision" dates up, and their complete dates are wide-ranging. I wondered if it was "first come first serve" too (especially since I applied early).

Edit: I did accept EA.


When did you go EA complete? and did you go to decision?

User avatar
panadera
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby panadera » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:33 pm

finalaspects wrote:
kpd-m wrote:Haha, I was totally about to put my stats since someone asked me. Seeing this made me jump a bit.

I was looking at LSN and there are very few people who put the "decision" dates up, and their complete dates are wide-ranging. I wondered if it was "first come first serve" too (especially since I applied early).

Edit: I did accept EA.


When did you go EA complete? and did you go to decision?


No decision yet. Complete 10/1 (applied 2 weeks earlier). Unless my softs put me over, people with similar numbers have already been deferred. :(

User avatar
Matypete
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:35 pm

KPD-M: Hmmm.. Do you think I should have accepted EA? 163/3.85

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:36 pm

:)

Edited. B/c it was a stupid rant.
Last edited by avacado111 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm

kpd-m wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
kpd-m wrote:Haha, I was totally about to put my stats since someone asked me. Seeing this made me jump a bit.

I was looking at LSN and there are very few people who put the "decision" dates up, and their complete dates are wide-ranging. I wondered if it was "first come first serve" too (especially since I applied early).

Edit: I did accept EA.


When did you go EA complete? and did you go to decision?


No decision yet. Complete 10/1 (applied 2 weeks earlier). Unless my softs put me over, people with similar numbers have already been deferred. :(


I think this is an extremely good sign for you. The fact that others who have been complete long before you have been deferred with similar numbers, but yet they're holding your application. And from what people have been saying, the accept decisions will start the first week of december. although the fact they sent out deferrals first this cycle could mean that anything is next and not just accept letters.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:40 pm

but the theory still holds that maybe some 11/24 peeps were acceptance letters :)

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:42 pm

avacado111 wrote:but the theory still holds that maybe some 11/24 peeps were acceptance letters :)

I want to agree, especially because of the weird thing about people not getting letters already, when they should have.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:45 pm

All I know, is that I expected to not think about any of this over Thanksgiving weekend when I had no movement up through Wed. Little did I know there'd be three days of this... but kind of glad. I would have seen 'decision' tomorrow and thought an accept should be coming because that's what happened last year early on - now I'm rather counting on an outright reject reaching my mailbox by tomorrow. Timing is everything, and looks like this is going to be a brutal year...

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby tintin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:46 pm

finalaspects wrote:
I think this is an extremely good sign for you. The fact that others who have been complete long before you have been deferred with similar numbers, but yet they're holding your application. And from what people have been saying, the accept decisions will start the first week of december. although the fact they sent out deferrals first this cycle could mean that anything is next and not just accept letters.


as I am still EA complete 10/1, I hope it does mean that theyre holding mine for acceptance, but with the #s they have been deferring so far it wouldnt make sense, since I am so close to several people's # who have been deferred. :?

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 pm

I mean. Maybe they are not YP, but they are predicting a huge app increase this year? So they are holding apps?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:50 pm

flcath wrote:
ruleser wrote:
Veritas wrote:Here we are trying to figure it all out, they probably were just like, "Hey, let's just leave early for Thanksgiving this year, we'll defer all those EA's until later..."

I think this is probably more accurate than some of theories being thrown around, especially given that no one has actually been accepted yet.

I'm calling (or maybe emailing) and asking for special consideration, i.e., review before the stated February 1st start date. We'll see how that goes over...


You're just going to call and ask to be treated special? Yeah, let us know how that goes over.

User avatar
panadera
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby panadera » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Matypete wrote:panadera: Hmmm.. Do you think I should have accepted EA? 163/3.85


I did because I saw no harm at the time. And getting a decision by December? Awesome!
But with this "deferral fear" that is hitting everyone, maybe applying EA isn't anything special.

I really don't know if you should have accepted it. Since you're retaking the LSAT, if you're assuming you'll raise your score, having them look at you later could help you. Accepting EA could have meant you get a decision quicker (potentially a rejection?) or a defferment (in which case you would be re-looked at with your new LSAT score). Personally, I think you made the right decision in wanting to be held over until after the Dec exam.

finalaspects wrote:
I think this is an extremely good sign for you. The fact that others who have been complete long before you have been deferred with similar numbers, but yet they're holding your application. And from what people have been saying, the accept decisions will start the first week of december. although the fact they sent out deferrals first this cycle could mean that anything is next and not just accept letters.


I certainly like your optimism. I know of another TLSer (tintin) with my numbers and almost the same complete date, and neither of us have heard.

Edit: Oh, hey tintin. I was just talking about you...
Last edited by panadera on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:59 pm

avacado111 wrote:I mean. Maybe they are not YP, but they are predicting a huge app increase this year? So they are holding apps?

Could be anything - maybe they want to see what other schools admit so they can better gauge where they need to be. Like playing poker and having your opponents show their cards before you place your bet - not a bad move if that's it in such an odd year.

User avatar
Matypete
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:01 pm

kpd-m wrote:
Matypete wrote:KPD-M: Hmmm.. Do you think I should have accepted EA? 163/3.85


I did because I saw no harm at the time. And getting a decision by December? Awesome!
But with this "deferral fear" that is hitting everyone, maybe applying EA isn't anything special.

I really don't know if you should have accepted it. Since you're retaking the LSAT, if you're assuming you'll raise your score, having them look at you later could help you. Accepting EA could have meant you get a decision quicker (potentially a rejection?) or a defferment (in which case you would be re-looked at with your new LSAT score). Personally, I think you made the right decision in wanting to be held over until after the Dec exam.

finalaspects wrote:
I think this is an extremely good sign for you. The fact that others who have been complete long before you have been deferred with similar numbers, but yet they're holding your application. And from what people have been saying, the accept decisions will start the first week of december. although the fact they sent out deferrals first this cycle could mean that anything is next and not just accept letters.


I certainly like your optimism. I know of another TLSer (tintin) with my numbers and almost the same complete date, and neither of us have heard.

Edit: Oh, hey tintin. I was just talking about you...


Thanks for the peace of mind... We'll see what happens... Good luck to you all.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby CyLaw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm

:idea:

How many of the deferrals (Edit: with numbers that should have gotten a decision) are retaking the LSAT in December or February or marked on their Cornell Application that they may be retaking it?

I know of at least two, Pearalegal and Matypete.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:04 pm

CyLaw wrote::idea:

How many of the deferrals (Edit: with numbers that should have gotten a decision) are retaking the LSAT in December or February or marked on their Cornell Application that they may be retaking it?

I know of at least two, Pearalegal and Matypete.


I would also like to know about any Cornell fee waivers the deferred people got.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, charmonster, notnecessarilyproper, ohgosh, potterotter, reydingo, wishywashy and 23 guests