Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swc65

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby swc65 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:12 pm

tintin wrote:so to everyone who has been deferred- have all your status checkers been updated prior to receiving the letter?

i got the interview request, so not deferred yet, but the status checker did change to decision.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:14 pm

swc65 wrote:
tintin wrote:so to everyone who has been deferred- have all your status checkers been updated prior to receiving the letter?

i got the interview request, so not deferred yet, but the status checker did change to decision.

So this is someone with high numbers getting an interview instead of deferred - so doesn't seem to be YP.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Yes.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Held over as well, 3.82/168.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm

ppa840 wrote:Held over as well, 3.82/168.

:shock:
this is like, right in their range

are they just holding EVERYONE over?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm

ruleser wrote:
swc65 wrote:

So this is someone with high numbers getting an interview instead of deferred - so doesn't seem to be YP.

Was that interview request by snail mail? Maybe he hasn't just received the snail mail yet?

and looking at cornell's LSN last year, it seems that they do YP. Its strange though that they are yield protecting those barely above the median. I know that any YP rate change can dramatically alter the 1L numbers so maybe they're just being extra careful?

Either that or the number of applicants this year is much more higher then last year in which there are a lot of other people who has the same stats as those who were deferred.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Veritas wrote:

You mean right in their range for auto-admit, right? This person would be in the top 25% of the class in terms of GPA/LSAT, so I wonder what is going on??

If they are not going to admit a 3.8/168, what the heck are they doing? Maybe Cornell is waayyy more holistic than we are giving it credit for. Help me, I'm scared.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Also my search on yield protect on this forum yielded two different view points:

doyleoil wrote:the basic theory (as i understand it, which could, admittedly, be flawed):

1) your numbers are so high that a school thinks you will turn them down to go to a higher-ranked school
2) the school waitlists you to see what will happen
3) if you express continuing interest you can probably get in, if they feel assured you'll come
4) if you get in somewhere higher-ranked, and then withdraw, the school can ding you and protect their selectivity score, thus enhancing their u.s. news ranking
5) usually the only schools insecure enough (and obsessed enough about each u.s. news metric) to do this are schools in the 6-10 range of the u.s. news rankings (because every little thing helps their final ranking score)

jaudette wrote:In my opinion, true yield protect doesn't happen except when the highest level applicant (170+) apply to schools in tier 3-4.

I don't buy the WL to see if an applicant comes crawling back argument. Schools invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on COMPETING for admitted students. They realize you are being admitted to multiple schools, and they know they have to act competitively in order to get you. They are good at this! If a school comes across an that they believe would be admitted to schools that have a competitive advantage list, there's no reason to believe that they would be competitive later in the cycle rather than earlier. It just doesn't make sense to WL that applicant from a YP prospective. If a school WL you, its because there's a question of the applicants competitiveness, not the the schools.

Some schools use the WL more liberally than others, for instance BC or ND, but its hard to believe any school would do this to see who retains interest rather than to get a better sense of the applicant pool available.

Bottom line, anyone says that a WL means YP is fooling themselves and I don't believe any Tier 1 school has YP in their vocabulary.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:

You mean right in their range for auto-admit, right? This person would be in the top 25% of the class in terms of GPA/LSAT, so I wonder what is going on??

If they are not going to admit a 3.8/168, what the heck are they doing? Maybe Cornell is waayyy more holistic than we are giving it credit for. Help me, I'm scared.

It all seems so strange.....

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:31 pm

omg, now im really scared. i thought my 3.9/168 would be perfect for cornell-at 75ths but not high enough to YP. jessssus, what are they looking for???

did you write a why cornell??

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Does anyone know based on last years LSN if there are two (or three) batches of deferrals or just one? Also, based on last year when did rejections arrive?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:39 pm

march319 wrote:Does anyone know based on last years LSN if there are two (or three) batches of deferrals or just one? Also, based on last year when did rejections arrive?

You can't tell with deferrals, because they don't get dated. Last year read a batch of mainly accpets on 12/2, then another on 12/8, etc. - but within each there was one or two rejects reported (probably more who didn't update) But no idea if the deferred like this last time, could be standard, who knows.

With all these numbers, I would wonder if they are trying to up their LSAT numbers, but they deferred a 169 as well, and can't imagine they're trying to bump multiple spots.

Possible they have a ton of good numbers and are just taking a few based on something else. But really can't guess anything until we see some accepts or who gets the interview requests. So far, first interview request was very high numbers 176/3.6 I believe)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:40 pm

I was checking out the thread from last year and I don't see anyway to draw comparisons. They sent out acceptances first, in early December and then rejections/deferrals. :|

Also, they were accepting all the types of numbers we've seen deferred in this group. I really feel like they are trying to make their EA program slightly more "legit" - accepting those who scream "cornell" and deferring most others who might have just applied for the sake of applying.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Veritas wrote:I was checking out the thread from last year and I don't see anyway to draw comparisons. They sent out acceptances first, in early December and then rejections/deferrals. :|

Also, they were accepting all the types of numbers we've seen deferred in this group. I really feel like they are trying to make their EA program slightly more "legit" - accepting those who scream "cornell" and deferring most others who might have just applied for the sake of applying.

That's the strange part. Cornell doesn't ask you to choose whether or not to apply EA. You automatically become EA just by sending in the apps early. Few others were asked if they wanted to be considered EA in part because they were so close to the EA deadline.

If they wanted to make it "legit" wouldn't they ask the applicants to choose EA or not?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 pm

Veritas wrote:I was checking out the thread from last year and I don't see anyway to draw comparisons. They sent out acceptances first, in early December and then rejections/deferrals. :|

It does seem like they are either worried a yield rate or think they can up their numbers substantially - though passing up a 168/3.82 seems a juicy one to pass up. It kind of seems like they are trying to push their LSAT, except they deferred a 171/3.3ish.

Here we are trying to figure it all out, they probably were just like, "Hey, let's just leave early for Thanksgiving this year, we'll defer all those EA's until later..."

Whatever they're doing, my previous expectation of a deferral now is sinking to expecting a reject - if they are deferring numbers like this...

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:

I imagine they are being very holistic, but that still doesn't explain the deferment. My personal statement was as diverse as a personal statement could be, i.e. first generation college student, socioeconomic disadvantages, etc.

I also wrote a "why Cornell" essay. I visited Cornell and a few of my friends go there, so I had a good bit to write.

Damn, this is depressing. I was hoping that Cornell would give me a great Christmas gift, but I guess not.
Last edited by ppa840 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:03 pm

finalaspects wrote:

That's the strange part. Cornell doesn't ask you to choose whether or not to apply EA. You automatically become EA just by sending in the apps early. Few others were asked if they wanted to be considered EA in part because they were so close to the EA deadline.

If they wanted to make it "legit" wouldn't they ask the applicants to choose EA or not?

Why would they email to ask if you want to be considered EA if you applied before the deadline and it's just an assumed thing?

I'm pretty sure there was a little box to check.

edit: There is, question 8 on the application.

panadera

Postby panadera » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Why would they email to ask if you want to be considered EA if you applied before the deadline and it's just an assumed thing?

But some people (myself included) were emailed asking if we wanted to be considered. I didn't check the box, they checked it for me. I don't understand it either.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Would be interesting to know if they called people last year to ask if they wanted to be EA... could be they feel they want to up their numbers because UT's GPA went up so much or they think UCLA might raise their or something - I am all about thinking it's holisitic, but above poster sounds not only solid with numbers, but with DS and Why Cornell.

Matypete

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:12 pm

kpd-m wrote:
Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

But some people (myself included) were emailed asking if we wanted to be considered. I didn't check the box, they checked it for me. I don't understand it either.

The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: I didn't check that box.
Last edited by Matypete on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 pm

kpd-m wrote:But some people (myself included) were emailed asking if we wanted to be considered. I didn't check the box, they checked it for me. I don't understand it either.

What are your #'s - curious if the people they called to ask if they wanted to be EA had high numbers.

If so, kind of reminds me of when you apply for a job or something, and as you are waiting for an answer, you see the ad run again - a call for more resumes - pretty much gives you your answer.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:15 pm

ruleser wrote:
kpd-m wrote:But some people (myself included) were emailed asking if we wanted to be considered. I didn't check the box, they checked it for me. I don't understand it either.

What are your #'s - curious if the people they called to ask if they wanted to be EA had high numbers.

If so, kind of reminds me of when you apply for a job or something, and as you are waiting for an answer, you see the ad run again - a call for more resumes - pretty much gives you your answer.

Your tar freaks me out.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm

ruleser wrote:
Veritas wrote:Here we are trying to figure it all out, they probably were just like, "Hey, let's just leave early for Thanksgiving this year, we'll defer all those EA's until later..."

I think this is probably more accurate than some of theories being thrown around, especially given that no one has actually been accepted yet.

I'm calling (or maybe emailing) and asking for special consideration, i.e., review before the stated February 1st start date. We'll see how that goes over...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.

Do you mind telling us your stats?

Matypete

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:19 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Matypete wrote:The same thing happened to me. I even wrote an addendum stating that I didn't want to be considered until after December (because I am retaking the LSAT). But two days ago I got an email telling me my file was going to be considered... I had to email them twice to get things straightened out...

EDIT: So I guess they didn't even ask me... And I definitely didn't check that box.

Do you mind telling us your stats?

3.85/163.

It has nothing to do with numbers. They probably just wanted to clear out all the people with low numbers (like myself) early.
Last edited by Matypete on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”