Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 pm

el jefe wrote:Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about what i meant. Allow me to reiterate. After seeing that u guys got waitlisted, perhaps we are the reject/admit (highly doubt) URM pile. How does that sound?

Sorry if it is hard to gauge my attitude, but I can assure u that I am not frustrated. In fact, I was taking an unsuccessful stab at being humorous. And no I don't have a cow and I don't ever plan on ever having one, nor will I wait another year to reapply. Studying for the lsat again would be hell. Cornell is grand but i have had enough of this process. I'm gonna take it like a man and head on to law school. Good luck.


well that puts things into context. thanks for clearing that up. Have fun starting law school. But just to put this out there, I too think the LSAT bites and is pretty miserable to sit for even once, but to me, it's worth a few months of aggravation to at least not have to wait until July/August for an unlikely seat at a school I'd commit to very late in the game, especially given the costs for a legal education. Retaking (and settling in for another potentially very long wait) is obviously not a decision I'd make lightly, but I think its less miserable than a leap of faith to a school I'd ditch if a better opportunity came along (and "better" isn't just about national rank, but whatever it is that was important to a person when making his/her choices ). Not saying anyone else is doing this, but given my status as a summer waitlister at preferred schools, this was exactly the position I had been faced with before deciding to just sit out and get what I need, in the great likelihood of late dings from these remaining schools. Hardest decision ever, but worth it more and more as the weeks pass.

I don't presume to know why others are staying on waitlists this late, or what their alternatives are, but my guess is it's because their alternatives aren't that great, by whatever standard they've chosen. If those alternatives are just as good/better, I wouldn't be waiting around. These schools are looking for convenient last minute replacements now. Sure they like us, but they'll have no problems saying "no" once they get their tuition payments. It's not personal, I know, but I'd still prefer to be doing something else if something just as good or better was available.

User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

edit: I see what u were doing there, snoop. no hard feelings. I'll save my post for when you re-insert yours. 8)

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Snoopy1216 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Yeah. I thought about it and decided I should just let you say whatever you want because it has no bearing on me and my life. Yes, It definitely bothered me. I found your comment rather unnecessary. But, I don't want to be the person who responds to that. I had a much longer one, then I shortened it, posted, and deleted. Good luck with your next cycle.

User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Yeah. I thought about it and decided I should just let you say whatever you want because it has no bearing on me and my life. Yes, It definitely bothered me. I found your comment rather unnecessary. But, I don't want to be the person who responds to that. I had a much longer one, then I shortened it, posted, and deleted. Good luck with your next cycle.



I'm lost on your logic about your discomfort with my post. I'm in no better position than you or anyone else posting here. lol. I'm just dotting my i's and crossing my t's, and shared the rationale behind my choice. I'm sure I'm not the only one preparing for the LSAT while being on a waitlist. Most people don't like to hear anything about retaking after going through application cycles. It's rough enough as it is, but it doesn't discount the fact that it's always a viable option. I guess people don't like to hear about options anymore. I didn't find anything negative about it. Options and opportunities are anything but. But hey, you found something there you didn't like, and that's fine. No hard feelings of course.

nochance2013
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby nochance2013 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Anybody plan on making the trip to Ithaca to interview? Has anyone already done an interview?

User avatar
sques001
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby sques001 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 pm

nochance2013 wrote:Anybody plan on making the trip to Ithaca to interview? Has anyone already done an interview?


I would love to but I think its too late in the cycle.If they would've told us about the summer waitlist back in the end of May then an interview could've helped out our chances, but the class is full already and I think very few acceptances (if any) will be made between now and orientation. In my opinion, you should think about all of the extra expenses that you'll incur in the first month of law school due to the move. But then again this is just my opinion. If you live near NY then it might be cheaper for u to make the travel arrangements. These are just my 2 cents

jackwhiteiii
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jackwhiteiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

Waitlisted as well. Numbers are LSAT 161 GPA 3.6 URM, stats above.

User avatar
ChinaMex
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ChinaMex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 pm

el jefe wrote:I too heavily lack the numbers to get in. I was at first at decision in june, now i am on the 4/28 bandwagon. Either ways, its not looking too good.

I dont even know why I am posting here, there is no way i will get in. Cornell for me is like the hot chick I know I could never get. I see her every day and know she is wayyy outta my league but a few months ago she walked by me and said hi _______ so all of a sudden I cant stop thinking about her. I mean I know she is too good for me but she did say hi. She did not have to, but she did so there might be a chance. But I gotta put things into perspective, she was just probably being nice.....


haha I feel the same way except the first flirtation was when they gave me a fee waiver and then they waitlisted me (twice) and now I almost feel like a booty call haha. Though a booty call from Cornell is probably like one from Joe Mauer :) (or female equivalent)

viapaz
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby viapaz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:12 pm

ChinaMex wrote:
el jefe wrote:I too heavily lack the numbers to get in. I was at first at decision in june, now i am on the 4/28 bandwagon. Either ways, its not looking too good.

I dont even know why I am posting here, there is no way i will get in. Cornell for me is like the hot chick I know I could never get. I see her every day and know she is wayyy outta my league but a few months ago she walked by me and said hi _______ so all of a sudden I cant stop thinking about her. I mean I know she is too good for me but she did say hi. She did not have to, but she did so there might be a chance. But I gotta put things into perspective, she was just probably being nice.....


haha I feel the same way except the first flirtation was when they gave me a fee waiver and then they waitlisted me (twice) and now I almost feel like a booty call haha. Though a booty call from Cornell is probably like one from Joe Mauer :) (or female equivalent)



+1 hahaha. exactly how i feel!

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby newyorker88 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:Waitlisted as well. Numbers are LSAT 161 GPA 3.6 URM, stats above.


what kind of urm are you?

jackwhiteiii
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jackwhiteiii » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 am

First generation Mexican-American. Has anyone done the interview yet?

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Big Tuna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:14 am

Just to put it out there for you waitlisters: attending students have been asked to email re-confirmation of their attendance, so if enough people fail to reply or say they are going somewhere else there might be some new spots open.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

Big Tuna wrote:Just to put it out there for you waitlisters: attending students have been asked to email re-confirmation of their attendance, so if enough people fail to reply or say they are going somewhere else there might be some new spots open.

Thanks for the info. What time frame did they give you for a response?

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Big Tuna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Just to put it out there for you waitlisters: attending students have been asked to email re-confirmation of their attendance, so if enough people fail to reply or say they are going somewhere else there might be some new spots open.

Thanks for the info. What time frame did they give you for a response?

I don't have the letter on hand but I want to say this Friday maybe?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

Big Tuna wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Just to put it out there for you waitlisters: attending students have been asked to email re-confirmation of their attendance, so if enough people fail to reply or say they are going somewhere else there might be some new spots open.

Thanks for the info. What time frame did they give you for a response?

I don't have the letter on hand but I want to say this Friday maybe?

Thanks Big Tuna.

User avatar
mec30
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby mec30 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Just to put it out there for you waitlisters: attending students have been asked to email re-confirmation of their attendance, so if enough people fail to reply or say they are going somewhere else there might be some new spots open.

Thanks for the info. What time frame did they give you for a response?

I don't have the letter on hand but I want to say this Friday maybe?

Thanks Big Tuna.


There was no time frame. Here's the text of the letter:
Richard Geiger wrote:As I'm sure you're aware, the first-year class is completely filled and we've had to place many very promising candidates on our waiting list. Please e-mail us at lawadmit@lawschool.cornell.edu as soon as possible confirming that you plan to attend Cornell or, if your plans have changed, that you will not be attending.

Once again, allow me to say what a pleasure…

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:38 pm

mec30 wrote:There was no time frame. Here's the text of the letter:
Richard Geiger wrote:As I'm sure you're aware, the first-year class is completely filled and we've had to place many very promising candidates on our waiting list. Please e-mail us at lawadmit@lawschool.cornell.edu as soon as possible confirming that you plan to attend Cornell or, if your plans have changed, that you will not be attending.

Once again, allow me to say what a pleasure…

Thanks. Guess it'll be hard to pinpoint a timeline for waitlist movement (assuming there is any).

nochance2013
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby nochance2013 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:First generation Mexican-American. Has anyone done the interview yet?


I was wondering this as well. I guess Sques001 dampened the energy level for an interview with her post. I'm still debating the pros/cons for another week.

Anyone else heard any movement / rumors / interviews gone well or poorly?

jackwhiteiii
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jackwhiteiii » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 pm

The last day to get the partial 200 dollar refund is August 2nd, so I think we will see the most movement in the upcoming week, at least hopefully!

raycharles86
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby raycharles86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 am

Anyone have their interview yet?

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby GermX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Its funny because this a long with UCLA are my two remaining waitlists, (I got off BU, it annoyed me). Don't even know why I'm on the lists, I'm pretty much set on GW and nothing will change that, still, guess its good to know heh?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:12 pm

GermX wrote:Its funny because this a long with UCLA are my two remaining waitlists, (I got off BU, it annoyed me). Don't even know why I'm on the lists, I'm pretty much set on GW and nothing will change that, still, guess its good to know heh?

Why not withdraw from the WLs and clear up room for those who do unquestionably want to attend Cornell/UCLA?

jackwhiteiii
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jackwhiteiii » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:06 pm

JOThompson wrote:
GermX wrote:Its funny because this a long with UCLA are my two remaining waitlists, (I got off BU, it annoyed me). Don't even know why I'm on the lists, I'm pretty much set on GW and nothing will change that, still, guess its good to know heh?

Why not withdraw from the WLs and clear up room for those who do unquestionably want to attend Cornell/UCLA?

+1

raycharles86
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby raycharles86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:08 pm

JOThompson wrote:
GermX wrote:Its funny because this a long with UCLA are my two remaining waitlists, (I got off BU, it annoyed me). Don't even know why I'm on the lists, I'm pretty much set on GW and nothing will change that, still, guess its good to know heh?

Why not withdraw from the WLs and clear up room for those who do unquestionably want to attend Cornell/UCLA?


Totally agree. Same thing I did with the schools I got accepted to and did not want to go.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby GermX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm

I'll withdraw from UCLA's waitlist, but to be honest I don't even think I am competition for you guys, I have not sent a single letter of continued interest, etc..., so my presence is probably not affecting your chances.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodieBroadus, Chipotle85, dietcoke1, PDX4343, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, texteach, trohara14, UghNonAmus and 22 guests