Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SeriouslyOmg

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby SeriouslyOmg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:05 pm

wow, it seems that cornell is done admitting :(

it seems that they won't admit more than 10 people over the entire summer, doesn't it?

:(

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:49 pm

There has literally been no activity in the T14 over the past two weeks. A seat in Cornell's class may have been opened up when a LSNer BruinWang was accepted by Michigan (he has said he committed either way). Also, a different LSNer who looked to be taking a seat in Northwestern's class was accepted and deferred at Harvard. I think somebody may have taken scholarship money at Vandy over Cornell recently as well. So we might see a couple more seats open. However, yes, the odds seem to be against us right now. More than anything, I would just like an answer. I hate this... well, we've been known to accept people on the day that school starts (how would you even do this... where would you live, wouldn't you need books, financial aid, etc... wtf!!! ) Just some thoughts.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:58 am

Bob (may I call you that?) the point of this thread originally was to help us stay informed about who was getting accepted from the waitlist. There is a chance at getting a scholarship from the waitlist. I was offered $10k from WUSTL. Others have been offered more from G-Town. Last cycle there were offers for scholarships in seemingly randome spots throughout the waitlist from T 14 schools. My hope in starting this thread was that 1.) the schools have a bank of knowledge about who got in and with how much $ and 2.) we could build such a bank of knowledge (broadly if not in detail) to help each other negotiate and 3.) we could use our knowledge to even the negotiation for $$$ when we are admitted.
LSN is an awesome resource, as are the other TLS boards. I'll admit I haven't kept up with tracking as good as I could have but I am juggling my personal life too. My theory has been to track LSAT and GPA scores. So far it seems that for the T14 they are all focused on GPA this cycle. That could change quickly. I hope it does. If you know anything, post it.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:40 am

MURPH wrote:Bob (may I call you that?) the point of this thread originally was to help us stay informed about who was getting accepted from the waitlist. There is a chance at getting a scholarship from the waitlist. I was offered $10k from WUSTL. Others have been offered more from G-Town. Last cycle there were offers for scholarships in seemingly randome spots throughout the waitlist from T 14 schools. My hope in starting this thread was that 1.) the schools have a bank of knowledge about who got in and with how much $ and 2.) we could build such a bank of knowledge (broadly if not in detail) to help each other negotiate and 3.) we could use our knowledge to even the negotiation for $$$ when we are admitted.
LSN is an awesome resource, as are the other TLS boards. I'll admit I haven't kept up with tracking as good as I could have but I am juggling my personal life too. My theory has been to track LSAT and GPA scores. So far it seems that for the T14 they are all focused on GPA this cycle. That could change quickly. I hope it does. If you know anything, post it.

I was a late admit and I, along with several others I've heard from recently, got the letter from Cornell saying "Enjoy your loans, no money, sorry". I've heard it several places now that people admitted this late don't usually get money. The WL email from other schools has even said (paraphrased) "Applicants admitted from the WL usually don't get money, and must resort to loans"

I mean, it could happen. But I think that holding your breath for money when admitted off the WL might not be wise.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm still on the waitlist but I've given up, just gonna go to GW.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Murph... Cornell's last few acceptances according to LSN have all had GPAs below the median and LSATs above the median (and many above the 75th percentile). By contrast, Northwestern seems to be looking to pack their class with high GPA splitters as of the last few acceptances. So for a school like Cornell, if a high LSAT splitter melts off the rolls within the next couple weeks individuals like you or I would make a good replacement. Still, even at this point (and this is somewhat based on my visit to Cornell too) it is based on when they receive/come across your application (and there is some luck involved in that). Hence, they might come across a 172 and a 3.0 that meets their needs for a high LSAT splitter to solidify their 75th percentile before they come across a 175 with a 3.6 GPA... in this instance the 172 and a 3.0 would get the seat if their application were to be viewed first. I know that seems obtuse, but yes, I was told flat out that I wasn't accepted yet because my application went out in late December.

Cornell is also looking for URMs still, at least based off the past few acceptances. This is no surprise as Cornell tends to have more diverse classes than most of the T14, at least statistically speaking. Hope this helps. You and I probably have a shot of sneaking in this cycle, but it is slim. We also might see some money if: A) Somebody with a scholarship offer melts off the rolls; B) It gets much later in the cycle and they are worried that they won't be able to fill their need if you refuse their admissions offer; AND C) You have received scholarship offers to peer schools and make them aware of it. Again, I would hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:11 am

AdamatUCF wrote:
MURPH wrote:Bob (may I call you that?) the point of this thread originally was to help us stay informed about who was getting accepted from the waitlist. There is a chance at getting a scholarship from the waitlist. I was offered $10k from WUSTL. Others have been offered more from G-Town. Last cycle there were offers for scholarships in seemingly randome spots throughout the waitlist from T 14 schools. My hope in starting this thread was that 1.) the schools have a bank of knowledge about who got in and with how much $ and 2.) we could build such a bank of knowledge (broadly if not in detail) to help each other negotiate and 3.) we could use our knowledge to even the negotiation for $$$ when we are admitted.

I was a late admit and I, along with several others I've heard from recently, got the letter from Cornell saying "Enjoy your loans, no money, sorry". I've heard it several places now that people admitted this late don't usually get money. The WL email from other schools has even said (paraphrased) "Applicants admitted from the WL usually don't get money, and must resort to loans"

I mean, it could happen. But I think that holding your breath for money when admitted off the WL might not be wise.

I agree.. don't hold your breath. But it does happen. i was offered a ful ride at iowa off of their waitlist (which I am taking).

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am

GermX wrote:I'm still on the waitlist but I've given up, just gonna go to GW.

That probably makes a lot of people on here very happy.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
GermX wrote:I'm still on the waitlist but I've given up, just gonna go to GW.

That probably makes a lot of people on here very happy.

Not me, I'm going to GW.... :evil:

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:06 pm

We're all doomed!!! I just called Cornell and I think I may have even insulted the admissions lady that I spoke with over the phone which I entirely didn't mean to. When I asked when they think more decisions may come out she was like, well, it may be another week or two because our committee is out of town travelling (which is the same thing I was told like a week ago). So I just out and said, "oh, really... I sure wish I had the travel package the admissions committee has... I would be thinking about Hawaii next... tell me they at least have Frequent Flyer Miles." I mean honestly, just tell us yes, no, or toss us in a condensed maybe so category so we can all make plans for what to do with ourselves. I can't not even begin to understand why we are at the end of June and there is not even a waitlist yet. I loved Cornell when I visited, it is where I want to go, but jeez, are they going to give people answers on or after the first day of class and think that they are not going to be placing those students at a distinct (and entirely unnecessary) disadvantage. Just give us answers. There is nothing left to review... maybe even give yourselves a deadline to have reviewed or categorized the applications and that way if there is any summer melt you don't have to review every applications, but maybe just two or three. =C

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Major fail :?

Bobushka22 wrote:We're all doomed!!! I just called Cornell and I think I may have even insulted the admissions lady that I spoke with over the phone which I entirely didn't mean to. When I asked when they think more decisions may come out she was like, well, it may be another week or two because our committee is out of town travelling (which is the same thing I was told like a week ago). So I just out and said, "oh, really... I sure wish I had the travel package the admissions committee has... I would be thinking about Hawaii next... tell me they at least have Frequent Flyer Miles." I mean honestly, just tell us yes, no, or toss us in a condensed maybe so category so we can all make plans for what to do with ourselves. I can't not even begin to understand why we are at the end of June and there is not even a waitlist yet. I loved Cornell when I visited, it is where I want to go, but jeez, are they going to give people answers on or after the first day of class and think that they are not going to be placing those students at a distinct (and entirely unnecessary) disadvantage. Just give us answers. There is nothing left to review... maybe even give yourselves a deadline to have reviewed or categorized the applications and that way if there is any summer melt you don't have to review every applications, but maybe just two or three. =C

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:So I just out and said, "oh, really... I sure wish I had the travel package the admissions committee has... I would be thinking about Hawaii next... tell me they at least have Frequent Flyer Miles."

:shock:

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:51 pm

We have been waiting more than six months and they are still "reviewing our applications." I think they are wonderfully nice people, the campus is great, I think the way they've designed the law school curriculum is even better, but sure I am at the point of frustration now. I was told I would know in two weeks two months ago now... and I have been told multiple times that the committee that would decide is out travelling. Do they really want applicants who are so unidimensional, bashful, and devoid of passion that they can not be direct in the face of absurdity. That is unfortunate.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:We have been waiting more than six months and they are still "reviewing our applications." I think they are wonderfully nice people, the campus is great, I think the way they've designed the law school curriculum is even better, but sure I am at the point of frustration now. I was told I would know in two weeks two months ago now... and I have been told multiple times that the committee that would decide is out travelling. Do they really want applicants who are so unidimensional, bashful, and devoid of passion that they can not be direct in the face of absurdity. That is unfortunate.

Patience is a virtue. I applied in October and was admitted at the very end of May. I suffered through several rounds of deferral over 7 months. I know the summer is starting to wear on. And yes, the admissions process is stressful and it sucks, but it's part of the process and it's happening at every school, not just Cornell. I guarantee you the powerless person on the other end of your phone call didn't deserve to be berated like that. Still, I wish you luck, at Cornell or wherever else you end up.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:10 pm

oh... I said it with a laugh and a sort of Midwestern tone... and I didn't say, oh you bastards told me the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I actually intended it to be a joke even if a poorly thought out joke so my tone reflected as much. It was stupid, but I am more surprised nobody else has said anything else along those lines.

raycharles86

Postby raycharles86 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey guys,
who is still in the running? I feel for torturing us they should either admit all of us, or at least send some delicious Cornell cookies :P

Did anyone apply for the dual degree program?

P.S.: While waiting for them to get back to us is stressful. The games today (US and Germany respectively) were utter nail bitters.

BobushkaisBack

Postby BobushkaisBack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 am

hehehe... I hope you all didn't miss me. =D

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:30 am

I hardly noticed you were gone. Did you get banned for the gay trolling thread?

raycharles86

Postby raycharles86 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:30 am

He's back and with a fury :wink:

BobushkaisBack

Postby BobushkaisBack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes they did. I missed you guys too. =D
I should have thought about it before I posted it, but I always wondered if: A) Other people thought about that; B) Other people did that; C) Did it work?

Curiousity killed the Bobushka... satisfaction brought him back.

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Hm it seems as though they have doled out some more acceptances though, as the facebook page has climbed up to 184. I know that facebook isn't necessarily the best indication, and as some pointed out there are sure to be some administration included as members, but the number has jumped drastically in the last 2 weeks.

Bah I need to find something better to do with my time.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:47 am

jackwhiteiii wrote:Hm it seems as though they have doled out some more acceptances though, as the facebook page has climbed up to 184. I know that facebook isn't necessarily the best indication, and as some pointed out there are sure to be some administration included as members, but the number has jumped drastically in the last 2 weeks.

I've been "pending membership approval" or whatever it's called for weeks now. I have my NetID, let me into the facebook group! :cry:

mec30

Postby mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am

jackwhiteiii wrote:Hm it seems as though they have doled out some more acceptances though, as the facebook page has climbed up to 184. I know that facebook isn't necessarily the best indication, and as some pointed out there are sure to be some administration included as members, but the number has jumped drastically in the last 2 weeks.

I just got into the group and can tell you for a fact that there are some people in there I know are not attending Cornell. I noticed two of my friends, one going to Yale and another to Columbia, are still in it.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:56 am

mec30 wrote:

I just got into the group and can tell you for a fact that there are some people in there I know are not attending Cornell. I noticed two of my friends, one going to Yale and another to Columbia, are still in it.
OMG, I just realized my friends are stupid.

xeckosk8trx

Postby xeckosk8trx » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Any word from Cornell yet? I called yesterday and they said a decision should be coming out soon. I wish I knew what their definition of the word soon actually is. lol I really would hate to sign a lease at the school I accepted to later find out that Cornell picked me up off the Reserve List.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”