Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Snoopy1216

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:58 pm

cat123 wrote:I'm not sure how many spots there are, and I don't know about the people who aren't on the reserve list. I'm on the reserve list, so that's what I asked about and that's what I'm referring to. I would assume that they're a ways away from an official waitlist since they just started reviewing.

Yeah, I am on reserve too. It's good to know they are still reviewing reserve applicants. I wondered because they just let a whole bunch of people in, so I hoped they were not done with the first round of admits. Here's hoping!

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 pm

krj02004 wrote:
Bobushka22 wrote:Thanks for the input. I am doing both. I have kept in contact with the admissions office, worked my butt off through school while holding three jobs while looking after my disabled father (working to pay for medicine for him, food, and rent), led school groups, participated in collegiate sports, and then I destroyed the LSAT. I may or may not get in, but I can sleep well knowing that I did everything that I was supposed to in the process.

Anyhow, I actually don't think that the other guy's foolishness will affect me at all. On principle, I am appalled by somebody who would post on here... oh wow, I forgot that I even applied there... let me take that seat from somebody who would realize what an honor it is to be accepted there. Also, the process that I suggested to him is one that I myself followed: I like the politics, the location, the areas of placement, am willing to risk the low placement numbers in the past year were a fluke, I like the politics, I want to do international law, I like the smaller class size, I like the college town and college campus aspect because it will keep me focused... I actually applied there because it was where I wanted to attend. It was the first school I applied to. Regardless of whether I get in, I still think that what he said was absurd.

Boo-hoo-hoo. And I literally gave birth to a baby in the middle of my class during senior year, came back 2 weeks later (after surgery) and finished 2 theses as a double major while 3000 miles away from any family support.... as a single mom working 2 jobs and going to school full time while also on the board of several student groups. All this while breastfeeding and taking my infant child to college classes at a top 10 liberal arts college that is basically all white and all affluent... and I was black girl with the only baby on campus. Needless to say senior year was a B*TCH and the hardest sh*t I've ever been through. Am I whining to the world and complaining how I deserve more than other applicants? My God, I didn't even tell half of that story in my personal statement.

Point is, Everyone has a story.... and just because mine may seem more "special circumstance" than others it does NOT make me more deserving than others. We all want to get off the Reserve list and go to Cornell. We've all worked really hard to get here and we all had to make sacrifices. Get off your high horse!

And you remembered that you applied to Cornell... because you worked really hard for it and it meant something to you. That was my original point that has since been misconstrued as people think it is relevant to mention that they are Indian or African-American. It was once race was mentioned that I made mention of extenuating circumstances... it was once I was being attacked as being pompous or presumptuous. I may or may not be accepted, but my whole point was that I hope that if the seat goes to somebody else that it go to somebody who at least remembered they applied to Cornell and applied there for a reason (they considered what the school offers them in terms of career opportunities, location, culture, and debt). The initial person I took issue with did not consider any of these. The second person I critiqued, like I later learned was true of the first, did not even respond to Cornell to be maintained on the reserve list, but were still offered a spot.

Cornell is absolutely free to actively recruit students that plug holes they may see in their upcoming class (they want to maintain there numbers, their diversity, and want people who are both interesting and worldly). In and of itself most of us would agree that is a positive. However, I feel personally that it is a slap in the face to all of those who really do want to attend Cornell. including yourself, when a privileged individual posts on here that they didn't follow up, they didn't know they applied, and didn't care, but will be taking one of the remaining seats. Also, being honest, I hoped to dissuade them from accepting the offer to Cornell unless upon further deliberation of what Cornell has to offer they realize that it is a place they should have given more consideration to earlier in the application cycle (for the aforementioned reasons of career opportunities, location, culture, and debt). For one, that leaves the seat open for somebody I see as a more deserving student like yourself. Secondly, they didn't remember they applied to Cornell because in a regular application cycle they would have been admitted to a higher ranked school (meaning they should only "settle" for Cornell... which it would be to them, not to me... if they after the fact are reviewing what Cornell has to offer them and realizes that it really is a good fit for them).

Anyhow, while it may come across that this is a big push for me to get the seat, I actually think there is a strong possibility I will get a seat in the next week or two anyways. There is obviously no way to be certain. That said, based on a comparison of my stats with applicants who have been accepted and offerings I have received from similarly ranked institutions, it seems to me that other adcomms have weighted my application just ever so slightly below those who were accepted in this past week. I am sure that somebody will point out how unreliable a measurement of likelihood that will be and we all don't know how many seats Cornell may still have available. Regardless, if I were not to be accepted this year, I plan on just reapplying early next year so that I would better fit into the shuffle for the admissions committee. Additionally, being 23 years of age, getting old is not an issue. Therefore, the questionable behavior that I pointed out earlier in the discussion board will likely have little impact on me in the larger scheme of things. On an applicant like yourself, however, it would probably have a much more profound impact. I hope that clears up some of the misconceptions based on second hand adaptations of my earlier messages posted out of context. You may still determine that I am a horribly wicked person, but I am a horribly wicked person who advocates for applicants making deliberate and educated decisions when the stakes are elevated as they are for themselves (taking on over a hundred thousand dollars of debt) and others (being crowded out of your dream school by somebody who didn't even want the seat in the first place).

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon May 31, 2010 12:18 am

Sooo... Anybody doing anything fun for Memorial Day?

flyover

Postby flyover » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 am

danidancer wrote:Sooo... Anybody doing anything fun for Memorial Day?

Putting down a deposit elsewhere, drinking heavily :/

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Anyone went to decision on May 28th? And it was my initial decision

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

crepesme wrote:Anyone went to decision on May 28th? And it was my initial decision

I did...no links on the page.

I didn't really have my hopes high though, so no big loss.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Anybody hear anything new in the past day or so? If you were accepted to Cornell and let's say you didn't even apply... that is ok... wonderful... tell us you got in anyways. However, please just leave out those details. Accepted/rejected - Numbers - URM? - Anything else remotely relevant

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Anybody hear anything new in the past day or so? If you were accepted to Cornell and let's say you didn't even apply... that is ok... wonderful... tell us you got in anyways. However, please just leave out those details. Accepted/rejected - Numbers - URM? - Anything else remotely relevant

IN! Didn't even know I applied as the app was filled out and submitted by my parents.

Should I go??..

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 pm

SAE wrote:
Bobushka22 wrote:Anybody hear anything new in the past day or so? If you were accepted to Cornell and let's say you didn't even apply... that is ok... wonderful... tell us you got in anyways. However, please just leave out those details. Accepted/rejected - Numbers - URM? - Anything else remotely relevant

IN! Didn't even know I applied as the app was filled out and submitted by my parents.

Should I go??..

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:53 pm

SAE wrote:

Should I go??..

Evil, that is pure evil. Nice. =D

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, it seems like it went from lots of chatter and excitement to silence. Should one presume that for the most part the ship has already sailed?

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Well, it seems like it went from lots of chatter and excitement to silence. Should one presume that for the most part the ship has already sailed?

no its only june 3

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm

True. I just called them to see if there were any updates and they said that several committee members were out on vacation and so there probably won't be any new decisions issued until around Wednesday. Good luck to all.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:31 pm

I would assume there could be more offers tomorrow or next week. I was admitted off the reserve on May 21 and they JUST processed my deposit. Once they figure out their new yield, there should be more offers on the way.

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm a little confused. Have they already put someone in the real "waitlist" or till now everyone waitlisted on LSN is actually on the "reserve" list?

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:16 pm

I believe that the "real summer waitlist" will be created mid-June, and us poor TLSers are, believe it or not, on a reserve list awaiting to be placed on a waitlist.

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:18 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:I believe that the "real summer waitlist" will be created mid-June, and us poor TLSers are, believe it or not, on a reserve list awaiting to be placed on a waitlist.

I C. Thanks. It must be fun to invent different names for pure torture.

cat123

Postby cat123 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 am

I don't think that necessarily true; they said they were reviewing apps at random. My guess it that if you haven't heard back, it could eventually mean anything: reject, acceptance or the infamous summer waitlist.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:19 am

cat123 wrote:I don't think that necessarily true; they said they were reviewing apps at random. My guess it that if you haven't heard back, it could eventually mean anything: reject, acceptance or the infamous summer waitlist.

Why is the summer waitlist infamous?

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Still on reserve here. I'm pretty much set on going to GW anyways. Can't wait.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
cat123 wrote:I don't think that necessarily true; they said they were reviewing apps at random. My guess it that if you haven't heard back, it could eventually mean anything: reject, acceptance or the infamous summer waitlist.

IIRC people have gotten their waitlist decisions in September in the past... poor form

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

IIRC people have gotten their waitlist decisions in September in the past... poor form

I see why that's a pain, but it also means there's still hope! There's a long list of body parts I would sell to go to Cornell though, so maybe I'm deluding myself into being overly optimistic.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:33 pm

mbw wrote:Bobushka22, I'm not going to spend time I should be using to finish up the writing comp to cure you of your misconceptions about the past and present lives of people who have been, or are hoping to be admitted to Cornell; but suffice it to say, you're not the only one who has ever worked for a living, been homeless or hungry (hmm, maybe the fact I was an _unsupported_ single parent in UG might have had something to do with that 2.8?) I think that judging from my class, the adcomm went to great lengths to create an amazingly diverse class, utilizing the reserve and wait lists to fill in where they perceived there to be gaps. If you happen to fit the profile of a gap they're looking to fill (and I have white, middle-class as well as URM friends who were chosen as such last year,) then you might get lucky like the poster you've belittled. But as others have pointed out, no one is entitled to a place in the class of 2013 -- and the fact that people handle their applications differently than you do does not make them less worthy.

So I was reading through the last few pages of this thread, and MB, you have to remind me to give you a high five the next time I see you for this post.

Kinda shocked at all the flack Cornell admissions is getting. Applications were up 52%, meaning for ever two applications they dealt with last year they are dealing with three this year. For every two time-consuming calls they got from potential admits asking for updates, they're getting three this year. Economy sucks, so naturally they can't hire more people to deal with the apps. The people dealing with your applications are just that: people. They do the best they can, and deserve respect for what they do.

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:00 am

Bummmmmpppp.

Is there any new news from anyone? I've called to verify that they have received supplementary materials sent, but was unsure of how to ask about waitlist/reserve movement without sounding like a desperate TLS kid (which I'm sure they deal with constantly). I am by no means implying I am not one though.

The FB page has over 150+, which I'm not sure is good or bad.

Bah any opinions? Sorry for post brought on by lack of sleep/lurking previous years Cornell waitlist threads, weirdddd times people, weird times.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am

I called on Friday and tried to charm some information out of them. Didn't work. They aren't sure when they will be admitting people. They do plan to break up the reserve group into admits, WL, rejects soon but I couldn't nail down a specific day or week.
On a good note they have drastically increased their yellow ribbon scholarship for post 9-11 vets. If I get in I'll be going for free.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”