Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bobushka22

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks! Good luck to you.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Last edited by Ronaldo on Sat May 29, 2010 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri May 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Exactly. How do you forget that you are on hold for a school? I could understand making other arrangements under the assumption that you probably wouldn't be accepted as a candidate who had been placed on hold. However, how do you forget? Oh, well, I applied to an Ivy League law school, but then a coconut fell on my head... France... oh my, what is this in my email... my memory is coming back to me now. Basically, if I don't get accepted, that is totally chill because there are tons of qualified applicants out there ready to devote themselves to what they are doing. That said, if I get passed up for somebody who just really could care less about going to law school or Cornell... that might just upset me. Being honest here.

A bit judgmental there? When I was accepted, I'd was definitely shocked, as I'd never sent in a written note indicating I wanted to remain in consideration after being deferred EA. Never sent in a LOCI or anything. Well, life happens. I applied to 18 schools -- some of us have lives outside of applying to law school, and can lose track of the exact status of every single application.

Congratulations to those recently accepted, no matter whether it was a surprise or not. Hope to see you in Ithaca next year.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:50 pm

I can not lose track of three years of my life, an application fee, over a hundred thousand dollars, and potentially where and what I will be doing for a career. I am sorry, I suppose that means I have no life. I can understand applying to a lot of schools and maybe not following up with a LOCI. I did, myself, follow up with each school, but I understand that some schools you apply to might be a safety or a back up so you aren't going to put as much time into it.

My offense was to the following facts:
1. This is a discussion board for people who have been waiting months to receive a final decision filled with people for whom Cornell isn't a back up... it is their first choice and for somebody with my life background... a dream. So yes, it is a bit insulting.

2. You applied EA... Cornell was the last school this guy applied to.

3. Lack of consistency in the schools he applied to.

4. You may have been shocked... and lucky as you shouldn't have been retained on the list according to their mailed correspondence, but whatever... but you didn't forget that you applied to the school. You decided that you probably weren't going to get in when you were deferred (a soft rejection) and that it made more sense for you to devote your time elsewhere... or you just didn't give a crap... if it is the latter, please reread my messages to the other fellow and tailor them to yourself as you see fit. Thanks for playing.

5. If he was placed on reserve or held and so were you and neither of you asked to be retained on the list... ????... there is something wrong here.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Ugh. Too much entitled douchebaggery for one thread.

Law schools can accept anyone they want for whatever reason. It doesn't matter whether you think those reasons are fair or not. In fact, you have no idea what those reasons even are, and yet you are still complaining. Maybe they read his personal statement and gathered from it that he was more mature than other applicants and didn't have such an attitude that "I'm already a privileged kid, but the world owes me something."

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 pm

?

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 pm

JCougar wrote:Ugh. Too much entitled douchebaggery for one thread.

Law schools can accept anyone they want for whatever reason. It doesn't matter whether you think those reasons are fair or not. In fact, you have no idea what those reasons even are, and yet you are still complaining. Maybe they read his personal statement and gathered from it that he was more mature than other applicants and didn't have such an attitude that "I'm already a privileged kid, but the world owes me something."

Yeah, it always cracks me up that somehow we're supposed to instinctively know what to do after being placed on reserve, or a waitlist, or whatever. Is there some rulebook, some Miss Manner of law school applications? --If there is, us first-generation-college grad NDNs didn't get a copy. Not surprisingly, the Cornell admissions office has dealt with clueless people like me for years, and so even when I missed both deposit deadlines, they emailed me to make sure I had decided against attending. Because, you know, some of us who don't have parents, grandparents, friends, bosses, etc., who went to law school haven't a clue as to what to do when a school forgets (after 3 requests) to send you your financial aid package. :roll:

Some of you guys have been bitching all year that Cornell is so lame because of how they handled admissions this year -- and yet, now you bitch when they go out of their way to recruit people they believe will fit in with the class they're putting together. Seriously, which is it?

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 pm

mbw wrote:
mwb wrote:
Some of you guys have been bitching all year that Cornell is so lame because of how they handled admissions this year -- and yet, now you bitch when they go out of their way to recruit people they believe will fit in with the class they're putting together. Seriously, which is it?

this

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 am

Congratulations to 342848386278! Seriously, a whole page discussing why someone you don't know doesn't deserve to get into a school based solely upon the fact that he/she thought the waitlist was a lost cause and put it in a drawer somewhere only to be surprised when an offer of admission materialized is just petty. Hopefully more of us will be getting news in the coming month!

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Sat May 29, 2010 2:17 am

Its extremely disappointing to sign onto lsn and see this kind of atmosphere. I understand the anxiety and emotions that come with the reserve/waitlist process, but bitterness and resentment will not get you off the waitlist, and believe me the negative attitudes expounded on this board by some will not serve their authors well in the collaborative environment of law school. Considering the fact that the author(s) took the time to point out that there is always the possibility of taking a year off to reapply as a stronger candidate to attend one's dream school, it is specious reasoning to attack someone whom the law school obviously felt to be more suited to the open space simply because of their choices of schools to apply to, and the perception of how "deserving" they are. One can always reapply again.

Focus on your own cycle. Come to the board for advice, information, news, connections and camaraderie. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but if you have nothing nice or useful to say, don't say it.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:49 am

I worked am a first generation college student myself, have been homeless, and worked three jobs while going to school. You, my friend, had a 2.8 GPA, probably have solid family support, and have a solid, but not fantastic LSAT. Really? With a "wicked generous scholarship" even. Why did I ever try... I should have just claimed I was gay, claimed I identify myself with native americans or another URM (which admittedly white people screwed over, I also understand socioeconomic situations even though I myself am poor, and I understand the psychological impact of knowing that your people are screwed and rich white people yield an exorbitant amount of power... understood... still) because, hell they are more fun anyways. Hell, for good measure I ought to say that I am considering a sex change. Then I would be a perfectly diverse candidate. The last step in my quest for diversity is to be one of the few students who doesn't even respond to the school when I am offered an acceptance or placed on reserve. Just ignore them... forget deadlines, forget paperwork... they will just come to me and I will answer when I am ready.

Really? Is everybody just crazy these days?

Also... I never said anything about people deeming a waitlist a lost cause. I have done this myself with my Columbia application. However, just forgetting that you even applied to the school or this one who doesn't even tell Cornell she wants to attend. Wow... Jesus, Mohammad, Jewish God, Zeus, Buddha, Krishna and Siva, Confucious, Lepprecaun God... wow

And yes, I am probably the only person on here who has actually worked for a living, been homeless, and hungry... how that makes me an entitled, rich snob... I don't know. Anyhow, this conversation took a detour. While I think I am a deserving candidate, my issue is with people taking seats when they don't even know why they applied to the school. Don't worry, I will stop trying to talk sensibly. I think we should find a deaf, eskimo, midget, cross dresser and tell him to apply without even taking the LSAT and to ignore the acceptance notices until the first day of classes.

mbw wrote:
JCougar wrote:Ugh. Too much entitled douchebaggery for one thread.

Yeah, it always cracks me up that somehow we're supposed to instinctively know what to do after being placed on reserve, or a waitlist, or whatever. Is there some rulebook, some Miss Manner of law school applications? --If there is, us first-generation-college grad NDNs didn't get a copy. Not surprisingly, the Cornell admissions office has dealt with clueless people like me for years, and so even when I missed both deposit deadlines, they emailed me to make sure I had decided against attending. Because, you know, some of us who don't have parents, grandparents, friends, bosses, etc., who went to law school haven't a clue as to what to do when a school forgets (after 3 requests) to send you your financial aid package. :roll:

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:08 am

"TLS: Could you offer general advice to law school applicants?

When considering law schools, look for those schools whose programs match your academic goals and whose philosophy, academic culture, and values are in sync with your own. Law school is one of the biggest investments you will ever make. Take time to learn about the academic offerings, programs, faculty, students, and the environment of every law school to which you apply. Your overall goal is to find the school that will bring out your best as a student and as a person." - Cornell Law School Dean Schwab

Is this not basically what I advised the first guy to do. Oh, surprise! Didn't know I would quote drop on you. Razzle dazzle kids, razzle dazzle.

Babushka9

Postby Babushka9 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:29 am

Bobushka22 wrote:"TLS: Could you offer general advice to law school applicants?

When considering law schools, look for those schools whose programs match your academic goals and whose philosophy, academic culture, and values are in sync with your own. Law school is one of the biggest investments you will ever make. Take time to learn about the academic offerings, programs, faculty, students, and the environment of every law school to which you apply. Your overall goal is to find the school that will bring out your best as a student and as a person." - Cornell Law School Dean Schwab

Is this not basically what I advised the first guy to do. Oh, surprise! Didn't know I would quote drop on you. Razzle dazzle kids, razzle dazzle.

You don't know 342848386278, so this may not be applicable to him! Some people are just interested in studying law, period... who are you to judge how deserving they are...

Seriously, Congratulations to 342848386278!

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am

Although I agree that it is kind of odd that someone could forget he/she has an active application, especially at a top school, I doubt that me, you or anybody else is better capable of deciding who should & who should not attend Cornell. The ad comm are very bright individuals that know what they are doing and if they think that 342848386278 is capable of excelling in law school and as a lawyer, then he probably is. Ad comms do this for a living, and are smarter than 99% of all TLS'ers and are more qualified of determining who should attend their law school.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat May 29, 2010 7:01 am

Bobushka22, I'm not going to spend time I should be using to finish up the writing comp to cure you of your misconceptions about the past and present lives of people who have been, or are hoping to be admitted to Cornell; but suffice it to say, you're not the only one who has ever worked for a living, been homeless or hungry (hmm, maybe the fact I was an _unsupported_ single parent in UG might have had something to do with that 2.8?) I think that judging from my class, the adcomm went to great lengths to create an amazingly diverse class, utilizing the reserve and wait lists to fill in where they perceived there to be gaps. If you happen to fit the profile of a gap they're looking to fill (and I have white, middle-class as well as URM friends who were chosen as such last year,) then you might get lucky like the poster you've belittled. But as others have pointed out, no one is entitled to a place in the class of 2013 -- and the fact that people handle their applications differently than you do does not make them less worthy.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 am

You should have read what I said more closely. There was a clause in there that said that if you did care and there was a viable excuse why you weren't able to keep up on the status of your application then the message was not intended for you. It was at this point that you invoked the fact that you a first generation indigenous student when that was never even part of the discussion. The fact that you did go through those hardships and likely continue to deal with those would explain why the admissions committee took the time to work with you. You just completely explained you side to me by accident there. I still think the other guy who was going to study abroad and didn't even remember he applied to Cornell (as opposed to somebody who planned on studying abroad because they felt there was a strong chance they might not be scooped up this admissions cycle) is inexplicable unless a coconut fell on his head impairing his memory and judgment.

shuttlesworth

Postby shuttlesworth » Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 am

i feel ya, bobushka, but that's life. french assholes will always be taking your spot in law school.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat May 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Sat May 29, 2010 4:15 pm

shuttlesworth wrote:i feel ya, bobushka, but that's life. french assholes will always be taking your spot in law school.

haha exactly!

it sure do suck that the ad coms don't put more weight on desire to attend but there's nothing we can do except market ourselves to what the ad coms do put weight on...saying other applicants don't deserve it because they aren't your idea of the perfect applicant isn't going to get you any closer to being admitted.

On the other hand, bobushka is justifiably frustrated, and besides any personal attacks, we shouldn't get bent out of shape with his complaints as it's an internet forum and complaints are about 85% of the content.

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Sat May 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Mattalones wrote:
bobushka wrote: I am probably the only person on here who has actually worked for a living, been homeless, and hungry...

You're not the only one with those expereinces, but you are the only one bitching about it.

+1. Not to get into specifics, but believe me, same story. Use your personal statement for that, not this forum.

Mattalones, You will make an excellent lawyer, as you concisely said in 17 words what I would have rambled on about out of TLS frustration.

cat123

Postby cat123 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:46 am

Okay everyone, I cannot imagine anything new to be said on this subject, so how about a new topic: I talked to the admins office the other day and they said that they have just begun the re-look over process, and that they're reevaluating at random. Hopefully this means good news for many more on the reserve list from many different backgrounds.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:26 am

cat123 wrote:Okay everyone, I cannot imagine anything new to be said on this subject, so how about a new topic: I talked to the admins office the other day and they said that they have just begun the re-look over process, and that they're reevaluating at random. Hopefully this means good news for many more on the reserve list from many different backgrounds.

amen!

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:24 am

cat123 wrote:Okay everyone, I cannot imagine anything new to be said on this subject, so how about a new topic: I talked to the admins office the other day and they said that they have just begun the re-look over process, and that they're reevaluating at random. Hopefully this means good news for many more on the reserve list from many different backgrounds.

What does the "re-look over process" mean? They are looking over the reserve candidates they passed over the for the first round? Or they are about to make decisions and create their official waitlist? Did she sound like there were more spots available??!

cat123

Postby cat123 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm not sure how many spots there are, and I don't know about the people who aren't on the reserve list. I'm on the reserve list, so that's what I asked about and that's what I'm referring to. I would assume that they're a ways away from an official waitlist since they just started reviewing.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Thanks for the input. I am doing both. I have kept in contact with the admissions office, worked my butt off through school while holding three jobs while looking after my disabled father (working to pay for medicine for him, food, and rent), led school groups, participated in collegiate sports, and then I destroyed the LSAT. I may or may not get in, but I can sleep well knowing that I did everything that I was supposed to in the process.

Anyhow, I actually don't think that the other guy's foolishness will affect me at all. On principle, I am appalled by somebody who would post on here... oh wow, I forgot that I even applied there... let me take that seat from somebody who would realize what an honor it is to be accepted there. Also, the process that I suggested to him is one that I myself followed: I like the politics, the location, the areas of placement, am willing to risk the low placement numbers in the past year were a fluke, I like the politics, I want to do international law, I like the smaller class size, I like the college town and college campus aspect because it will keep me focused... I actually applied there because it was where I wanted to attend. It was the first school I applied to. Regardless of whether I get in, I still think that what he said was absurd.

Boo-hoo-hoo. And I literally gave birth to a baby in the middle of my class during senior year, came back 2 weeks later (after surgery) and finished 2 theses as a double major while 3000 miles away from any family support.... as a single mom working 2 jobs and going to school full time while also on the board of several student groups. All this while breastfeeding and taking my infant child to college classes at a top 10 liberal arts college that is basically all white and all affluent... and I was black girl with the only baby on campus. Needless to say senior year was a B*TCH and the hardest sh*t I've ever been through. Am I whining to the world and complaining how I deserve more than other applicants? My God, I didn't even tell half of that story in my personal statement.

Point is, Everyone has a story.... and just because mine may seem more "special circumstance" than others it does NOT make me more deserving than others. We all want to get off the Reserve list and go to Cornell. We've all worked really hard to get here and we all had to make sacrifices. Get off your high horse!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”