Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jks289 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:05 pm

cutie3.141592 wrote:JKS, and anyone else admitted last Friday, did you apply for fin aid, and if so, have you gotten a fin aid package yet?


I received my admission packet yesterday and faxed in my tax returns and application for aid today. I haven't heard anything. I'm planning on calling tomorrow.

User avatar
OneSixtySix
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby OneSixtySix » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm

GermX wrote:The difference is huge. Look, I'm in at George Washington and I couldn't be happier. Top 20 school, amazing location and networking etc..., I am so freaking excited. But Cornell is IVY LEAGUE. It's a class of its own. It's a freaking t-14. There is no way in hell I could pass that up despite how shitty Ithaca is. So, yeah, its a big difference.


This is true. Re-reading my previous post, I'm surprised a herd of rabid (prospective) Cornelians didn't rip me to shreds. In no way was I insinuating that Cornell = a T20-25 school like BU, but rather I was surprised with the number of folks I met that were enrolled/deposited @ BU and waiting on Cornell (rather than enrolled at BU and waiting on NW, Duke, GULC, UCLA, etc.)

I guess thats something you would find with GW and GULC, Illinois and Northwestern, etc. A kid at a T25 is going to be shooting for a T14 in the corresponding geographic region.

BlankC
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby BlankC » Tue May 25, 2010 8:39 pm

They're taking off reserves now because I came off reserve list last week. I'm withdrawing for elsewhere though, unless something screwy happens.

AdamatUCF
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby AdamatUCF » Wed May 26, 2010 3:37 pm

OH MY GOD I'M IN!!!!!!


Just got the "Congrats" email! For those keeping track, This was my initial decision. Numbers in my profile.


This made my cycle! I cracked the T14! I'm going to an Ivy League school!

User avatar
mec30
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby mec30 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Just heard back. I'm in. I have some big decisions to make.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Mattalones » Wed May 26, 2010 4:33 pm

.
Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Mattalones, I am with you man. I would love to get into Cornell and feel like I should. Numbers are 3.65 GPA and cancel/163/174... unless they are placing an exorbitant amount of weight on my first two attempts at the LSAT that included extenuating circumstances denoted in an addendum, I would like to think that I am an awesome candidate (I also have good softs, not that anybody cares). So I am hoping. I was happy to see that there were some high LSAT splitters picked up lately as that may bode well for me. Who knows, maybe our e-mail will be coming in the next 15 minutes before their office closes... here's hoping.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 pm

And congrats to those who have just been accepted. I am rather jealous. I don't know whether I am relieved to see that they are still accepting people off of the reserve list or scared that each new person that posts they've been accepted might have taken the last seat in the class. I would say a little bit of both. =D

jackwhiteiii
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jackwhiteiii » Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Bobushka, I am in pretty much the exact same boat as you are, but keep in mind that the last seat in the class wont be taken until classes officially begin, as acceptances are given out throughout the summer. I'd wait until at LEAST mid-June to start panicking, as I've arbitrarily scheduled myself to do so.

Mattalones, the refresh button is NOT our friend. If you are anything like me, you are inundated with e-mails about law school and every time I get one I want to throw up my heart thinking its from Cornell, baaddddd times my friend, bad times.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Yes, I've been compulsively checking my e-mail as well... =D... I can't wait to have a life again.

342848386278
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 342848386278 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 am

Accepted via email lastnight here as well!

This news came completely out of the blue, I'd forgotten I still had a pending ap out! I'd pretty much resolved to work abroad another year and then reapply next cycle, but going to Cornell is an amazing option... looks like I may end up in Ithaca! :mrgreen:

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Congratulations. I scoped your stats on LSN... you would probably be able to be accepted top ten if you reapplied next year (including Berkeley which was the one top ten school you applied to this year). The only question for you would be whether you wanted to wait a year considering Cornell is still a T14. Please note that this comment of mine is completely self-interested. Still, I have to wonder whether Cornell is really where you wanted to attend considering the fact that you forgot you still had an active application with them. Good luck in your decision.

onetimeonly95
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby onetimeonly95 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Is tomm the last day that they will make decisions? On the reserve letter I believe it said that they would make them between mid and late may. Tommorow is the last the day the admissions office will be open I presume as monday is memorial day and the first of June is tuesday. Thoughts?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby SAE » Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm

onetimeonly95 wrote:Is tomm the last day that they will make decisions? On the reserve letter I believe it said that they would make them between mid and late may. Tommorow is the last the day the admissions office will be open I presume as monday is memorial day and the first of June is tuesday. Thoughts?

The idea was also to get the initial decisions out before the deposit deadline. We know how that went... :roll:

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Cornell's admissions office is closed today according to a recorded message. It did not say why they were closed today. However, it did say that they would be open again tomorrow during regular business hours. I just figured I would let everybody know so they could save themselves the compulsive e-mail refreshing for a day. =D Good luck to everybody (but especially me!)

342848386278
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 342848386278 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Congratulations. I scoped your stats on LSN... you would probably be able to be accepted top ten if you reapplied next year (including Berkeley which was the one top ten school you applied to this year). The only question for you would be whether you wanted to wait a year considering Cornell is still a T14. Please note that this comment of mine is completely self-interested. Still, I have to wonder whether Cornell is really where you wanted to attend considering the fact that you forgot you still had an active application with them. Good luck in your decision.


Haha, well I'd forgotten because my application was held back in April which in my mind meant WL, and thus I'd already mostly made up my mind to stay in France. I applied to Cornell for a reason though, and definitely would love to attend. I'm overjoyed.

User avatar
mec30
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby mec30 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:11 pm

What's the reason, if I may ask?

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Exactly. How do you forget that you are on hold for a school? I could understand making other arrangements under the assumption that you probably wouldn't be accepted as a candidate who had been placed on hold. However, how do you forget? Oh, well, I applied to an Ivy League law school, but then a coconut fell on my head... France... oh my, what is this in my email... my memory is coming back to me now. Basically, if I don't get accepted, that is totally chill because there are tons of qualified applicants out there ready to devote themselves to what they are doing. That said, if I get passed up for somebody who just really could care less about going to law school or Cornell... that might just upset me. Being honest here.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby RhubarbPie » Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Exactly. How do you forget that you are on hold for a school? I could understand making other arrangements under the assumption that you probably wouldn't be accepted as a candidate who had been placed on hold. However, how do you forget? Oh, well, I applied to an Ivy League law school, but then a coconut fell on my head... France... oh my, what is this in my email... my memory is coming back to me now. Basically, if I don't get accepted, that is totally chill because there are tons of qualified applicants out there ready to devote themselves to what they are doing. That said, if I get passed up for somebody who just really could care less about going to law school or Cornell... that might just upset me. Being honest here.


Wow.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:11 pm

I should have mentioned that I am a big fan of Joe Biden. Really though, you mean to tell me this wasn't what everybody else was thinking. I am bad enough myself with how often I check my e-mail hoping for good news out of Ithaca, but we have kids on here who are practically having asthma attacks everytime they see the words "law" and/or "school" in an e-mail message. So, like I said earlier, somebody who actually gives a damn (maybe not to that extreme) would be more deserving. I don't even think this guy sent in a LOCI because he didn't even remember he was on hold or reserve. That is something to say wow about, not what I said.

My advice would be this: you wanted to go to France and you wanted to go to Berkeley... do both. You have a sufficient background to accomplish that if you wait until next cycle and don't apply after the rush of applicants in an overloaded year. However, in a year where seats per applicant are in such low supply why would you take a seat from somebody who actually wanted to attend the school.

My other advice is figure out where or what you want to practice: You applied to Berkeley, Cornell, and GW with nothing in between. Norcal, Ithaca, and Washington, DC... what do these places or institutions have in common. Nothing, absolutely nothing. That bothers me. That really, really, really, really bothers me. Maybe I could understand the connection between Berkeley and Cornell as both would lend themselves to diverse specialties, they are both liberal strong holds, and maybe you are into outdoors and winter sports. Are any of these things true about GW? No. I am doing you a favor by pointing out how obtuse your assertions are. You will be spending over a hundred thousand dollars and three years of your life on law school. So with that in mind, I would sit down and make an educated decision based upon the following factors:
Location, Finances, Placement, Specialties, Political Culture, and the opportunity cost of deferring a year so that you can attend Berkeley (or another top ten school) or attending GW instead.

I am sure that I am leaving some things out, but with that last consideration in mind you may very well determine that you should accept the offer from Cornell... you might be looking for liberal politics, simply want the prestige for your family (if you are travelling that much and you are willing to make a hundred thousand dollar plus decision on a dime then maybe you have money to play with), be interested in international or labor law, want a small campus environment, want to place in a big city, and are willing to take the risk of Cornell's 93% placement after 9 months for graduates (since they are competing ITE against the rest of the Ivy league and NYU). All I am saying is figure it out.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Correction: He did apply to schools in between Cornell and GW in ranking, but the list of schools he applied to are still very inconsistent. Also, considering all of the scholarship money you were offered by these other schools ($105,000 to GW), the locations that some of the other schools are in, the disparate specialties offered, and the better placement numbers for some of these lower ranked schools I would venture to guess that you are only considering Cornell because of the Ivy prestige. I know it is an ad hominem fallacy, but that is stupid. Go to France, please.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Oh yes, and you applied later to Cornell than the other schools... because it is not where you wanted to attend. So don't.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby philosoraptor » Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:So, like I said earlier, somebody who actually gives a damn (maybe not to that extreme) would be more deserving.
Yikes. Usually people learn at a pretty young age that life isn't fair. Maybe you'd be less anxious if you concentrated more on yourself and maximizing your own chances than on your perceptions of why other people are less "deserving" than you. Just a thought.

Bobushka22
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Bobushka22 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks for the input. I am doing both. I have kept in contact with the admissions office, worked my butt off through school while holding three jobs while looking after my disabled father (working to pay for medicine for him, food, and rent), led school groups, participated in collegiate sports, and then I destroyed the LSAT. I may or may not get in, but I can sleep well knowing that I did everything that I was supposed to in the process.

Anyhow, I actually don't think that the other guy's foolishness will affect me at all. On principle, I am appalled by somebody who would post on here... oh wow, I forgot that I even applied there... let me take that seat from somebody who would realize what an honor it is to be accepted there. Also, the process that I suggested to him is one that I myself followed: I like the politics, the location, the areas of placement, am willing to risk the low placement numbers in the past year were a fluke, I like the politics, I want to do international law, I like the smaller class size, I like the college town and college campus aspect because it will keep me focused... I actually applied there because it was where I wanted to attend. It was the first school I applied to. Regardless of whether I get in, I still think that what he said was absurd.

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Snoopy1216 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Bobushka - I think you are only upsetting yourself more by thinking everything out about how he is possibly less deserving. I mean I COMPLETELY understand your point. And, I have absolutely no qualms about anything you said. Heck, I partially agree. But, let the chips fall where they may. And, don't let that situation upset you. This is a frustrating position, to be on reserve. Try to do something fun - take your mind off of it. Everything will work out :)

NOTE TO ALL: Do not interpret this as my not caring whether or not I get in (you'd be very mistaken). I am just trying to sprinkle some sunshine :oops:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChodeAnalBead and 3 guests