Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mattalones

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Did you send that, Nightrunner?

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm

You have balls proportionally bigger than this squirrel!
--ImageRemoved--

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Did you send that, Nightrunner?

Yes.

I especially laughed at the part where you tried to sell yourself off as a real person. Spending 5 minutes in other forums your frequent would tear the human dignity argument to shreds. Good job though :wink:

Did you mail it or email it?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

Yes.

I especially laughed at the part where you tried to sell yourself off as a real person. Spending 5 minutes in other forums your frequent would tear the human dignity argument to shreds. Good job though :wink:

Email - although now I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't have posted it here, since it will now be ridiculously easy for them to put a name to a screenname. Still, it was very cathartic.

Yes I have read of that type of therapy, but usually it is recommended that you write it up but do not actually send it :?

You should have snail mailed it, that way they could pass it around the office for lulz.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:14 pm

The withdrawal letter used the term "rational agent actors". Sweet. Oh, and it was awesome, as well. Double sweet.

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

So what are the chances of getting off Cornell's waitlist, lol?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Yes I have read of that type of therapy, but usually it is recommended that you write it up but do not actually send it :?

This probably would have been more wise, but at this point I just don't care anymore.

You should have snail mailed it, that way they could pass it around the office for lulz.

I presume Cornell can afford printers.

I have to admit in taking small delight in reading that. I love Cornell and still want to attend, but I too feel pretty jerked around. At least, someone is on record as stating what a large portion of the applicant is likely thinking.

Good luck, Nightrunner!

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Nightrunner wrote:MY WITHDRAWAL LETTER

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

Nightrunner, you are my hero. Cornell finally let me IN, and you're still my hero. Bravo. I know you'll have a sterling career in law school and beyond.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

Yes.

Email - although now I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't have posted it here, since it will now be ridiculously easy for them to put a name to a screenname. Still, it was very cathartic.

Since you've removed Cornell from your list of possibilities, where are you headed?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Decision made today. No links. BTW, good job nightrunner

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:
Since you've removed Cornell from your list of possibilities, where are you headed?

Although I promise to answer that in the future, I think I've revealed enough personal information for one day. I hope you understand.

Of course. :-)

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

woeisme wrote:
jks289 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
holybartender wrote:It's common courtesy to just withdraw if you already know you're not going to go to a certain school. There are plenty of people who are interested in going to that school.

terrible advice. stick it out for the leverage money.

I don't think anyone is obligated by courtesy to withdraw. I was mostly just kidding, and envious petrisis is in at GULC, another of my many waitlists.

That said, I'd give my right arm for a Cornell acceptance. Someone needs to withdraw to make that happen. So I'm all for shaming people into sending the "Thanks, but no thanks" email.

GULC over Cornell is hilarious. I realize that plenty people feel differently, but it just adds to the amusement of this thread. But yeah, the way this guy posted made it seem like he really didn't care to go to Cornell. In which case he should just withdraw. It's doubtful he's going
to get much money anyway, especially if he didn't get any at GULC.

I did get money at GULC.

And GULC over Cornell is a personal preference: I'd rather spend three years of my life in DC rather than Ithaca. I don't feel that my opportunities at Cornell would be so much greater than at GULC to warrant otherwise. If I had visited Cornell and found the atmosphere to be pleasant, that might have changed things. I visited after I applied, and there was something that struck me as a bit off-putting about it.

With that said, Cornell is still a fine school, and those going there should be proud of getting in. I did not mean to imply otherwise.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:59 pm

MURPH wrote:Decision made today. No links. BTW, good job nightrunner

When did you go complete? And +1 @ good job nightrunner.
I'm glad they know how we feel...... IF they read it.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Reserve Letter from Cornell today. It's interesting that they distinguish between the reserve pool and the waitlist. The letter says that the waitlist isn't created until mid-to-late May.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 am

Nightrunner wrote:MY WITHDRAWAL LETTER

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

This is well-said.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 pm

I went decision rendered today. It says as of 4/28, which means they probably didn't read my LOCI. No links. That's okay, I'm just glad I got some closure.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:21 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I went decision rendered today. It says as of 4/28, which means they probably didn't read my LOCI. No links. That's okay, I'm just glad I got some closure.

So, is it pretty much that the recent decisions are all "Reserve"? I also went DR as of 4/28 with no links. I really hope it isn't a rejection, because that would crush my soul.

etlien

Postby etlien » Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 am

Can anyone tell me how long you usually have to decide whether to accept? 2 weeks?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Sun May 02, 2010 1:32 am

I got my waitlist letter today bringing my grand total of wl's to five: columbia, ucla, duke, northwestern, cornell. Oh joy.
it is to be expected. Iam a late applicant, and gulc wants a commitment for me to accept their binding deferral by Monday. *sigh* this is complicated.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 am

MeredithGrey wrote:I got my waitlist letter today bringing my grand total of wl's to five: columbia, ucla, duke, northwestern, cornell. Oh joy.
it is to be expected. Iam a late applicant, and gulc wants a commitment for me to accept their binding deferral by Monday. *sigh* this is complicated.

Every time someone says they got an update today, I keep logging into the status checker, hoping to see that I've been accepted.

Still "Complete" :(

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 pm

DR, dated 4/29. No links, my cycle is finally over.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 am

4/28 as well, who is going to be brave enough to call and learn our fate?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I called. Reserve. I guess this is sort of like GULC's preferred WL? The admissions officer told me that we would be re-reviewed once the RDs are all finished, and then we'd receive an Accept/Reject/Waitlist decision. Thus, we could go from Reserve to Waitlist. In fact, I'm going to speculate that such a track is likely for many/most of us.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Man, there must be a million people on the reserve.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Nah reserve is just a waitlist I think. Still, I'll be riding it out, going to send a LOCI and a new letter of rec, let's see how it goes.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”