Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
woeisme

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:29 pm

flattire wrote:
Top 10% GW > Bottom 50% at Cornell and maybe a few candidates at GW would beat out some top 40% at Cornell considering that all those top 40% wouldn't have law review or moot court under their belts. I'm just trying to offer some food for thought.

Sure, top of GW will beat out bottom of Cornell (or any other T14). Putting that line-drawing aside, though, this is a dangerous assumption to make. It's risky to assume you'll do well at a "worse" school since you were accepted to a "better" one. It often doesn't work that way.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

flattire wrote:Furthermore, and now I'm just assuming results, if you're smart enough to get into Cornell I'm sure that you will be at the top of the class at GW. You may end up at the top at Cornell as well but I bet top of GW may beat out below median at Cornell.

I did well enough on the LSAT to get into Cornell. Whether that makes me smarter than most kids at GW is questionable, especially since the 75th percentile is the same at each school, as is the GPA range. If the LSAT accurately measures how "smart" I am, then I'm smarter than 75% of the class at each school. I think it's more likely that the LSAT accurately measures only how well I performed on the LSAT that morning.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 pm

NeXP wrote:
flattire wrote:Furthermore, and now I'm just assuming results, if you're smart enough to get into Cornell I'm sure that you will be at the top of the class at GW. You may end up at the top at Cornell as well but I bet top of GW may beat out below median at Cornell.

I did well enough on the LSAT to get into Cornell. Whether that makes me smarter than most kids at GW is questionable, especially since the 75th percentile is the same at each school, as is the GPA range. If the LSAT accurately measures how "smart" I am, then I'm smarter than 75% of the class at each school. I think it's more likely that the LSAT accurately measures only how well I performed on the LSAT that morning.

You would be surprised about hoe well a standardized test predicts performance. If you are a white female then roughly 60% you will perform at the same percentile as your LSAT after the first year.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
NeXP wrote:

You would be surprised about hoe well a standardized test predicts performance. If you are a white female then roughly 60% you will perform at the same percentile as your LSAT after the first year.

I believe that this is true, but I don't believe it.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 pm

woeisme wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
NeXP wrote:

I believe that this is true, but I don't believe it.

Lol I don't either, but that is the story my 'social psychology an the law' professor tried to feed my today. She went to Duke, so I am inclined to believe her 8)

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 am

Jericwithers wrote:You would be surprised about hoe well a standardized test predicts performance. If you are a white female then roughly 60% you will perform at the same percentile as your LSAT after the first year.

OMG!
--ImageRemoved--

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:08 am

decision 4/27, no links :(

but this means my cycle is over and that is AWESOME.(sans the waitlists, but i'm not expecting much movement)

update-a letter was sent to my parents' house. waitlist or reserve or whatever.
Last edited by pollaclc on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

pollaclc wrote:decision 4/27, no links :(

but this means my cycle is over and that is AWESOME.(sans the waitlists, but i'm not expecting much movement)

yeah, Cornell is the last school I'm waiting on, and even if they WL me, at least my cycle will be over and I can relax for 6 months until this all starts over.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:30 am

Decision Today ---> Reserve

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:39 am

Decision as of 4/27 with no links, too. Hoping for at least a waitlist.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am

4/27 decision ----> Reserve

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 am

cr073137 wrote:4/27 decision ----> Reserve

Did you receive this decision by mail, or it was listed as "reserve" online?

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

musicfor18 wrote:

I called, they were very nice and gave me my decision right away

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:59 am

cr073137 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:

I called, they were very nice and gave me my decision right away

Would you mind telling me your stats? LSAT/GPA?

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:41 am

Reserve (decision 4/27 on my status checker and I called)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Ugh. STILL no decision?

You have four hours, Cornell. The angry withdrawal email is already in my "Drafts" folder.

They will ignore it and give you a decision anyways.

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah I was put on reserve I guess, decision 4/27 and no links. Not going to call right now, maybe later when I'm in the mood. How dissapointing that Cornellia made me wait this fucking long and then puts me on a waitlist. Yeah, make me wait even longer. Ah well, I will be riding out this waitlist and preparing to attend GW--if I get a surprise acceptance, than whooptie doo.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Is Cornell like other schools in that I'm looking for Complete -> UR -> Decision?

Because I'm still "Complete", and if there's a UR stage between now and my decision, I may just stop obsessively refreshing the page every half-hour.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:Is Cornell like other schools in that I'm looking for Complete -> UR -> Decision?

Because I'm still "Complete", and if there's a UR stage between now and my decision, I may just stop obsessively refreshing the page every half-hour.

There is no UR. You go from Complete to Decision.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:Is Cornell like other schools in that I'm looking for Complete -> UR -> Decision?

There is no UR. You go from Complete to Decision.

Oh thank you! :)

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Withdrew today, freeing up $60k scholarship

Hope this goes to one of you!

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Bravo!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Nightrunner wrote:MY WITHDRAWAL LETTER

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

Very well said, and completely appropriate. The lack of common respect from these schools is appalling at times. Sure, they don't owe us anything, but there are a lot of people that I don't "owe" anything to that I still treat with the same respect I'd like to receive back.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Nightrunner wrote:MY WITHDRAWAL LETTER

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”