Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
etlien

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby etlien » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:38 am

Jericwithers wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Dear Cornell,

You have until close-of-business on Friday. That is all.

NR

+180!

Do they send you anything cool if you get in?

A suicide hotline number.

Yes please.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm probably the app on the very bottom of the pile.

Due to my university holding a required document for a little longer than I'd have liked, I didn't go "Complete" at Cornell until around Apr 19. I can't imagine many, if any, people went complete after me.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Decision rendered, 4/26. No links. If it's a waitlist, I'll be withdrawing. I'd take GULC over Cornell, and I'm in at GULC.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:42 pm

MURPH wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:I'm really frustrated. The admissions office got my LOCI, but was told that there is no guarantee the admissions committee will receive it before they make a decision. I guess I understand why they might not get it, but I'm just so anxious, nervous, and everything else. Did anyone else experience this? Do you know if the committee ever got your letter?

I got the same letter when I sent my LOCI. Then I got it again when I sent an additional LOR. It is a stock letter. They just cut and paste anytime they get some crap from us. They probably don't even read our stuff. I'll bet they have a big red circle around our GPA and LSAT scores and everything else is ignored. I applied in late Nov / early Dec. So it has been roughly six months.

lol if thats all they do, then I don't know why it's taking so long! If you're still waiting, I seriously have no chance. Complete 3/22

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 pm

pertristis wrote:Decision rendered, 4/26. No links. If it's a waitlist, I'll be withdrawing. I'd take GULC over Cornell, and I'm in at GULC.

lol. thanks for sharing. if this is true, though, wouldn't that mean withdrawing regardless? why even wait?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:02 pm

woeisme wrote:
pertristis wrote:Decision rendered, 4/26. No links. If it's a waitlist, I'll be withdrawing. I'd take GULC over Cornell, and I'm in at GULC.

lol. thanks for sharing. if this is true, though, wouldn't that mean withdrawing regardless? why even wait?

I think there's a fair amount of pride involved in law school admissions.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:06 pm

holybartender wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Yes but there is a greater good involved. I withdrew from all the schools I wouldn't attend over where I am in because I know there is someone out there dying to get it and I would be wasting everyone's time and sanity. I look at it as good karma.

And I have been rewarded for my good acts with...... 9 waitlists. :(

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm

jks289 wrote:
holybartender wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Yes but there is a greater good involved. I withdrew from all the schools I wouldn't attend over where I am in because I know there is someone out there dying to get it and I would be wasting everyone's time and sanity. I look at it as good karma.

And I have been rewarded for my good acts with...... 9 waitlists. :(

Karma only exists on TV

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 pm

holybartender wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Correct. Actually, I was going to send a withdrawal email but decided to check my status first.

With that said, I'm not sold on GULC. I might end up just doing this again next year.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:57 pm

pertristis wrote:
holybartender wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Correct. Actually, I was going to send a withdrawal email but decided to check my status first.

With that said, I'm not sold on GULC. I might end up just doing this again next year.

It's common courtesy to just withdraw if you already know you're not going to go to a certain school. There are plenty of people who are interested in going to that school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:58 pm

holybartender wrote:It's common courtesy to just withdraw if you already know you're not going to go to a certain school. There are plenty of people who are interested in going to that school.

terrible advice. stick it out for the leverage money.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
holybartender wrote:It's common courtesy to just withdraw if you already know you're not going to go to a certain school. There are plenty of people who are interested in going to that school.

I don't think anyone is obligated by courtesy to withdraw. I was mostly just kidding, and envious petrisis is in at GULC, another of my many waitlists.

That said, I'd give my right arm for a Cornell acceptance. Someone needs to withdraw to make that happen. So I'm all for shaming people into sending the "Thanks, but no thanks" email.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:

The truth is in-between: if a scholarship from School X can help you, stick it out. If not - say, someone is hanging on for the ego-boost of a Cornell admit when they're already going to Chicago - then not-withdrawing is a dick move.

i would forward chicago a cornell $ offer, for sure

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Chicago Deans wrote:LOL, wut? GTFO.

I have a feeling that would be the response. And the chances of merit money are probably pretty low this late, no?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Let me end this hypothetical for you:

it would depend on how much. say, fullride? or 3/4s tuition? i mean, chicago has a reputation for stinginess, but they are going to listen. match? never. but you might squeeze a little blood from that stone.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm

IAFG wrote:

it would depend on how much. say, fullride? or 3/4s tuition? i mean, chicago has a reputation for stinginess, but they are going to listen. match? never. but you might squeeze a little blood from that stone.

2nd hand experience tells me the top $120k scholarships do not even cause Chicago to blink.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
IAFG wrote:

2nd hand experience tells me the top $120k scholarships do not even cause Chicago to blink.

haha... ok, i concede. for T6, might as well WD if you are sure you won't go.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 pm

holybartender wrote:
pertristis wrote:
holybartender wrote:
woeisme wrote:lol. thanks for sharing. if this is true, though, wouldn't that mean withdrawing regardless? why even wait?

It's common courtesy to just withdraw if you already know you're not going to go to a certain school. There are plenty of people who are interested in going to that school.

There were several reasons why I didn't withdraw. First, scholarship leverage at GULC. Second, if Cornell had offered me any decent sum of money, I would have weighed the two schools. Third, I didn't receive a fee waiver. If I paid money to have an decision rendered on an application, I will wait until said decision is rendered before making a decision.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:30 pm

So you're saying if money weren't involved it all, you wouldn't withdraw just to see if you got in?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 pm

jks289 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I don't think anyone is obligated by courtesy to withdraw. I was mostly just kidding, and envious petrisis is in at GULC, another of my many waitlists.

That said, I'd give my right arm for a Cornell acceptance. Someone needs to withdraw to make that happen. So I'm all for shaming people into sending the "Thanks, but no thanks" email.

GULC over Cornell is hilarious. I realize that plenty people feel differently, but it just adds to the amusement of this thread. But yeah, the way this guy posted made it seem like he really didn't care to go to Cornell. In which case he should just withdraw. It's doubtful he's going to get much money anyway, especially if he didn't get any at GULC.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I have a friend here who got like 70k and Chicago gave him 30k cause of it. So that seems weird. Perhaps there are other considerations?

Or maybe there's more to the story than I'm aware of (regarding my friend)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 pm

woeisme wrote:I have a friend here who got like 70k and Chicago gave him 30k cause of it. So that seems weird. Perhaps there are other considerations?

Or maybe there's more to the story than I'm aware of (regarding my friend)

Person was a 169 4.0, so perhaps Chicago didn't care to win this person over. I would say your friend was low-balled by Cornell (as I was at first).

flattire

Postby flattire » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
woeisme wrote:It's also worth just mentioning (though I doubt you have the info available) that even if more firms go to GW than Cornell (which I'd assume is clearly the case), ... that isn't to say that firms go as deep into the class at GW.

Yes those are all valid points, and is the type of information that would be helpful in weighing these two schools. However I don't know of any way to verify any of this information.

Having worked in government for the past few years, there is something to be said about being in DC during the school year. The opportunity for internships during the school year is a perfect foot in the door for pursuing any summer internships. My job already has connections at DOJ and Dept. of State and people have offered to get me in touch with people I need to know should I choose to pursue a government job. I personally am hoping to get off the Cornell "reserve" list because it affords me the greatest opportunity for someone who is unsure of what I want to do post-graduation (private / public). Furthermore, and now I'm just assuming results, if you're smart enough to get into Cornell I'm sure that you will be at the top of the class at GW. You may end up at the top at Cornell as well but I bet top of GW may beat out below median at Cornell.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

flattire wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
woeisme wrote:It's also worth just mentioning (though I doubt you have the info available) that even if more firms go to GW than Cornell (which I'd assume is clearly the case), ... that isn't to say that firms go as deep into the class at GW.

Yes those are all valid points, and is the type of information that would be helpful in weighing these two schools. However I don't know of any way to verify any of this information.

Having worked in government for the past few years, there is something to be said about being in DC during the school year. The opportunity for internships during the school year is a perfect foot in the door for pursuing any summer internships. My job already has connections at DOJ and Dept. of State and people have offered to get me in touch with people I need to know should I choose to pursue a government job. I personally am hoping to get off the Cornell "reserve" list because it affords me the greatest opportunity for someone who is unsure of what I want to do post-graduation (private / public). Furthermore, and now I'm just assuming results, if you're smart enough to get into Cornell I'm sure that you will be at the top of the class at GW. You may end up at the top at Cornell as well but I bet top of GW may beat out below median at Cornell.

Top 10% GW > Top 40% Cornell?

flattire

Postby flattire » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes those are all valid points, and is the type of information that would be helpful in weighing these two schools. However I don't know of any way to verify any of this information.[/quote]

Having worked in government for the past few years, there is something to be said about being in DC during the school year. The opportunity for internships during the school year is a perfect foot in the door for pursuing any summer internships. My job already has connections at DOJ and Dept. of State and people have offered to get me in touch with people I need to know should I choose to pursue a government job. I personally am hoping to get off the Cornell "reserve" list because it affords me the greatest opportunity for someone who is unsure of what I want to do post-graduation (private / public). Furthermore, and now I'm just assuming results, if you're smart enough to get into Cornell I'm sure that you will be at the top of the class at GW. You may end up at the top at Cornell as well but I bet top of GW may beat out below median at Cornell.[/quote]

Top 10% GW > Top 40% Cornell?[/quote]

Top 10% GW > Bottom 50% at Cornell and maybe a few candidates at GW would beat out some top 40% at Cornell considering that all those top 40% wouldn't have law review or moot court under their belts. I'm just trying to offer some food for thought.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”