Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dmcbride

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby dmcbride » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 pm

DR 4/23, got acceptance email today 4/26

173/3.46

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

jks289 wrote:
2013esq wrote:Wow, congrats to everyone getting in today!

FYI: I just called to ask about "reserve" decisions and she told me not to expect to hear anything until the end of May. Looks like another month of waiting.

Congrats to everyone! It's nice to see movement :) (even if it does mean spots are filling up :( )

And thanks 2013esq, for calling and reporting back. I wish I could just go comatose until the end of May (end of June, actually).

No prob! Sorry to have to deliver the bad news. Good luck to both of us. By the way, I love Mad Men. I just started watching it on netflix so I'm only on season 2.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Do you think there'll be another ASD for post 4/9 admits? I really want to visit but time is running out.

Also, how does the travel subsidy for non-ASD visits work?

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

turkishangora wrote:Do you think there'll be another ASD for post 4/9 admits? I really want to visit but time is running out.

Also, how does the travel subsidy for non-ASD visits work?

I doubt it. The deposit deadline is 2 weeks after notification. I went up a month ago to look around just in case.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

DR 4/23, got acceptance email today 4/26

same...
but TODAY, really?? really, cornell? so late. TLTL.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm

NeXP wrote:
cyh wrote:
NeXP wrote:Just found out I'm in. 168/3.61. Actually had brought my checkbook to work to send in my GW deposit today. No idea how i'm going to make this decision.

Ugh.

Congrats!
not a bad decision to have to make, if you ask me.

when did you go complete?

Application received 1/29, went complete 3/24. I live in DC currently, work in gov't. BF says he'll come to Ithaca with me (talk about commitment) but I'm not sure I could do that to him. Time to agonize...

Wait, so your dilemma is one over location? It's not like you have a full-ride at GW or something? I don't see the argument for GW in this case. To be blunt.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 pm

woeisme wrote:
NeXP wrote:
cyh wrote:
NeXP wrote:Just found out I'm in. 168/3.61. Actually had brought my checkbook to work to send in my GW deposit today. No idea how i'm going to make this decision.

Ugh.

Congrats!

Application received 1/29, went complete 3/24. I live in DC currently, work in gov't. BF says he'll come to Ithaca with me (talk about commitment) but I'm not sure I could do that to him. Time to agonize...

Wait, so your dilemma is one over location? It's not like you have a full-ride at GW or something? I don't see the argument for GW in this case. To be blunt.

Bluntness is welcome. It's largely over location. GW gave me nothing, fordham gave me $10,000 but I passed. I work for the gov't now, and I'd probably like to return to work for the gov't after law school. I'm also wondering if GW would put me in a petter position for networking/internships that would outweigh 7 USNWR places.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:11 pm

NeXP wrote:
woeisme wrote:
NeXP wrote:
cyh wrote:Congrats!

Bluntness is welcome. It's largely over location. GW gave me nothing, fordham gave me $10,000 but I passed. I work for the gov't now, and I'd probably like to return to work for the gov't after law school. I'm also wondering if GW would put me in a petter position for networking/internships that would outweigh 7 USNWR places.

If your interest is government, then don't forget to compare LRAP at both places. Cornell's PILIPP is awesome looking for people wanting to do PI or PS, and unlike IBR it pays down your loan, so in a couple of years if you want to work someplace other than PS or PI then your loans are lower, not like IBR which just defers the debt and then forgives it if you hit the 10 year mark.

I don't know what GW's LRAP is like.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:12 pm

NeXP wrote:Bluntness is welcome. It's largely over location. GW gave me nothing, fordham gave me $10,000 but I passed. I work for the gov't now, and I'd probably like to return to work for the gov't after law school. I'm also wondering if GW would put me in a petter position for networking/internships that would outweigh 7 USNWR places.

I hear DC connections are invaluable. Look and see if you they have any outreach, externship or other programs at Cornell to get you those connections. However you must weigh the GW connections vs the fact that the DC market also has Georgetown to compete with for the same jobs, and many other schools place a lot of people there (I know Duke does). I guess the same thing can be said for Cornell's main market (NY) too though.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:17 pm

NeXP wrote:

7 places means nothing from 34 to 28 or from 78 to 71. However, the chasm between 13 and 20 is significant, to say the least. If GW gave you nothing, Cornell is beyond a no-brainer. G-dub graduates already compete with GULC grads for jobs in DC, at least Cornell would provide you with diversity when you came back. If it were GULC v. Cornell this would be different.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Connections ARE invaluable here. The two ways to get hired on the Hill are to a) know someone or b) have gone to Harvard. Other trouble is, I dislike DC and would really like to return to NY (my home and native land), but they're unlikely to relocate the Capitol there anytime soon.

I'm on the GULC preferred waitlist for P/T. Not holding out much hope for that.

I suppose instead of hijacking this thread I should start my own :D

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

NeXP wrote:Connections ARE invaluable here. The two ways to get hired on the Hill are to a) know someone or b) have gone to Harvard. Other trouble is, I dislike DC and would really like to return to NY (my home and native land), but they're unlikely to relocate the Capitol there anytime soon.

Did you get one of the emails for GULC PT asking to confirm you interest? (Sorry, thread derail)

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:38 pm

jks289 wrote:
NeXP wrote:Connections ARE invaluable here. The two ways to get hired on the Hill are to a) know someone or b) have gone to Harvard. Other trouble is, I dislike DC and would really like to return to NY (my home and native land), but they're unlikely to relocate the Capitol there anytime soon.

Did you get one of the emails for GULC PT asking to confirm you interest? (Sorry, thread derail)

No, I got the one telling me not to hold my breath. I'm heeding their advice.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:26 pm

They should be getting my LOCI tomorrow. I pray they don't make a decision until after they receive it... and that it persuades them to accept me! I am getting so nervous since some who went complete around my date and slightly after got decisions. There's still a chance that a decision was already made, but my status checker hasn't changed. UGGGHH I hope that's not the case!

chanchito

Postby chanchito » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I got in today by email! :) Makes me happy but I will still go to NYU. Sad to withdraw :(
I hope one of you TLSers gets my spot!!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 pm

NeXP wrote:Bluntness is welcome. It's largely over location. GW gave me nothing, fordham gave me $10,000 but I passed. I work for the gov't now, and I'd probably like to return to work for the gov't after law school. I'm also wondering if GW would put me in a petter position for networking/internships that would outweigh 7 USNWR places.

In a word: no.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 pm

In general, I think Cornell is a "better" choice than GULC. Let alone GULC PT. Let alone GW. Go to Cornell.

etlien

Postby etlien » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

JCougar wrote:
etlien wrote:
167/3.74

Well then. Those are not so borderline after all. I'll continue to keep my hopes low. :D

If you look at law school numbers, 167/3.74 seems more in the yellow and red zone than the green zone, so I was kinda surprised, but I guess they are dipping lower now that its late april.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 am

GW is a good school. You should consider it if you want to be close to your boyfriend especially, as well as in D.C.. Otherwise, Cornell is obviously a better choice.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm

woeisme wrote:

In general, I think Cornell is a "better" choice than GULC. Let alone GULC PT. Let alone GW. Go to Cornell.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Cornell is better than GULC? Or at least sufficiently better to go to Ithaca for it?

askhos

Postby askhos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Just sent in a very heartfelt LOCI. Kind of risky at this point, but I figured it was worth it.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

NeXP, Cornell is an ivy league school and so is on the #1 list for most firms in terms of sending people to work. GW is an incredible school in the top 20 but you're talking about a school that competes with GULC for D.C. jobs. If you go to Cornell, you won't have to compete as hard because of its status, while with GW, while you most definately can get that amazing job, you will need to bust your ass for it a little harder.

Just my 2 cents. I personally would consider GW if you love your boyfriend and want to stay in the D.C.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 pm

GermX wrote:NeXP, Cornell is an ivy league school and so is on the #1 list for most firms in terms of sending people to work. GW is an incredible school in the top 20 but you're talking about a school that competes with GULC for D.C. jobs. If you go to Cornell, you won't have to compete as hard because of its status, while with GW, while you most definately can get that amazing job, you will need to bust your ass for it a little harder.

Just my 2 cents. I personally would consider GW if you love your boyfriend and want to stay in the D.C.

I doubt Cornell is better than GW for D.C.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:05 pm

I didn't say for D.C., I meant in general for big law Cornell is better.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”