Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wakefield

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby wakefield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:Has anyone that applied in January or after receiving a letter saying you will be refunded the application fee, received their refund yet?

Why did they refund your fee?

I received a letter after I applied encouraging me to apply and waiving the fee was the incentive. They said I should receive the refund in 2 weeks, and its been over 2 months.

lol +1

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 pm

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/03/11/cornell

Is anyone else laughing at people being "outraged" by Andy Bernard appearing on the law school home page? I think they are having a little fun at the pop culture reference, and trying to be in on the joke. No one actually applied to Cornell based on a joke from The Office. Right?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

jks289 wrote:http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/03/11/cornell

Is anyone else laughing at people being "outraged" by Andy Bernard appearing on the law school home page? I think they are having a little fun at the pop culture reference, and trying to be in on the joke. No one actually applied to Cornell based on a joke from The Office. Right?

+1 for the first part. I find it funny that people are actually outraged by it.

However, it could be the case that some people did not know about Cornell prior to the reference on the Office. So it may have directed their attention to the school.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Applying entirely because of a television show would just be silly.

....they also give me a fee waiver :oops:

EDIT: I think it is all a big hype for next season of the office, when Andy returns to Cornell to go to law school. That is where the tuition increases are going: to pay for that to happen.

EDIT #2: From that article posted:
Geiger said Wednesday night that he has been quoted accurately as saying that he can't explain the magnitude of the increase, but that a handful of applicants responded to the question about why they were applying to Cornell by citing the Andy Bernard character.

Seriously, did anyone write that on their application? It gives you a 'why Cornell' box to fill in when you apply....but did people honestly say that???
Last edited by Jericwithers on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

EDIT: I think it is all a big hype for next season of the office, when Andy returns to Cornell to go to law school. That is where the tuition increases are going: to pay for that to happen.

Apply for undergrad based on a TV show is reasonable for a 17 year old.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Apply for undergrad based on a TV show is reasonable for a 17 year old.

Is it any worse than applying because 'School A' is you favorite sports team?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

EDIT #2: From that article posted:
Geiger said Wednesday night that he has been quoted accurately as saying that he can't explain the magnitude of the increase, but that a handful of applicants responded to the question about why they were applying to Cornell by citing the Andy Bernard character.

Seriously, did anyone write that on their application? It gives you a 'why Cornell' box to fill in when you apply....but did people honestly say that???

I bet there were a few brash individuals who thought they were being oh-so-cheeky by responding to the Why Cornell question that way. The problem is that while Cornell may not want students to take themselves so seriously, they certainly want people who take their legal education seriously. Backfire!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I bet it was in response to the "individuals who influenced you to apply to Cornell" question. Definitely crossed my mind, but I never would've done it.

uvacandie

Postby uvacandie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56 pm

^^ ironically, i did list Andy Bernard and Bajrakitiyabha Mahidol (princess of Thailand and an LLM graduate) as individuals who influenced me to apply.

got the acceptance email today in spite of that potentially damaging response.

3.94/168, applied 12/22.

good luck to all those still waiting!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

uvacandie wrote:^^ ironically, i did list Andy Bernard and Bajrakitiyabha Mahidol (princess of Thailand and an LLM graduate) as individuals who influenced me to apply.

3.94/168, applied 12/22.

I'm sure it was the second person and not the first that got you in.

Also, how good is Cornell's placement in Thailand's royal family? Better than other T14s?

dummy66

Postby dummy66 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 pm

applied jan 31...silence since :\

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 pm

uvacandie wrote:^^ ironically, i did list Andy Bernard and Bajrakitiyabha Mahidol (princess of Thailand and an LLM graduate) as individuals who influenced me to apply.

3.94/168, applied 12/22.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you went complete, if you remember?

uvacandie

Postby uvacandie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

3.94/168, applied 12/22.

I'm sure it was the second person and not the first that got you in.

Also, how good is Cornell's placement in Thailand's royal family? Better than other T14s?

Indeed, I think I've got a pretty good shot at placing into at least one of the South East Asian monarchies (anyone know if Cornell has good Cambodia connections?).

I went "complete" on 2/15.

Also, I don't want to cause this thread to go up in flames, but is it pretty safe to say that Cornell might experience a rankings boost because of their massive increase in applications (and a presumably lower acceptance rate)?

EDIT: sorry if Cornell ranking-change speculation has occurred at some point in the past 205 pages.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 pm

I am pretty sure I am just padding their numbers since I am probably going to end up withdrawing before going complete.

I don't know if their median numbers are going to go up but the acceptance rate must get a huge boost. But then maybe other schools are also getting a huge boost in applications.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:05 am

COMPLETE! :D :D it's like Christmas (if you didn't know what day Christmas was coming on)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Complete

App submitted on 1/5

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:13 pm

So now what am I supposed to do?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:So now what am I supposed to do?

Throw a party

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Refresh the status checker constantly

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:32 pm

MarkRenton wrote:

Still says complete... now what? How long before a decision? Should I just set the page on Auto-refresh?

adrib

Postby adrib » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Still says complete... now what? How long before a decision? Should I just set the page on Auto-refresh?

that's what i did! epic tar, btw!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Didn't work? Hrm. Try constant phone calls then.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Took me a month to go to decision

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 pm

calicocat wrote: Took me a month to go to decision

good to know. I've been complete since early February. Looks like (via LSN) a ton of November and December applicants still havent heard back.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Anyone else complete since (or before) 1/27? I am definitely going to be rejected but I was just wondering when I might expect it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”