Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
castellon

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby castellon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
castellon wrote:Okay, so my status checker went to complete on the 11th saying decision rendered and that I had to wait the 10-14 days for it to arrive in the mail. I received a letter today which looked like a waitlist or a rejection, but was in fact, an interview request (preferable in person but phone is possible too). So, if you get decision status without an acceptance e-mail, hope is not lost. Unless you have a terrible personality and will fail at an interview.

I assume an interview is just a way to YP and see if the applicant is really interested. Interviews are a very ineffective way to find out how a person will do in law school or in their career, and I'm sure any adcom worth their weight would know this.

Yeah, I completely agree.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

saturnine wrote:Ok, what the hell, Cornell.
I get that you're inundated with applications. The 52% increase was very surprising to everyone, and you weren't prepared, sure. Take your time to get back to me, it's ok, I've gotten in other places I'd realistically rather go, anyway, but I do like your programmatic offerings and small size.

I don't know if any of you reading this received the same e-mail I got this morning. I use Gmail, and one of the things I like most about Gmail is that it gives you a preview of a message's content.

The email began:
"Dear XXXXX YYYYY, We’re delighted to inform you that your application for admission to Cornell..."

and continued "...Law School is complete and ready for committee review."

Argh. Never mind that on my status checker, it says it's been complete since sometime in Mid-December.

Way to be Cornhell. Yeah, I went there.

Almost dingbar worthy

mb88

Postby mb88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Just got a snailmail letter saying I'm wait-listed. My numbers are just about at the line where Cornell might start to YP (unless I'm just biased? Correct me if I am)...but on the other hand, I didn't get invited to do one of these interviews that others were offered...

In addition, I don't mean to scare anybody, but the letter seemed to imply that Cornell has (for now) filled its admit-quota. It specifically says:

"Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class. For this reason, we've set fairly specific target-levels for the number of offers we should have outstanding at various points in time. Our several-hundred-person reserve group (of which you're now a part) helps us keep in line with these target levels."

Is it time to panic and start riots?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 pm

mb88 wrote:Just got a snailmail letter saying I'm wait-listed. My numbers are just about at the line where Cornell might start to YP (unless I'm just biased? Correct me if I am)...but on the other hand, I didn't get invited to do one of these interviews that others were offered...

In addition, I don't mean to scare anybody, but the letter seemed to imply that Cornell has (for now) filled its admit-quota. It specifically says:

"Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class. For this reason, we've set fairly specific target-levels for the number of offers we should have outstanding at various points in time. Our several-hundred-person reserve group (of which you're now a part) helps us keep in line with these target levels."

I don't think it implies that at all

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm

calicocat wrote:
mb88 wrote:Just got a snailmail letter saying I'm wait-listed. My numbers are just about at the line where Cornell might start to YP (unless I'm just biased? Correct me if I am)...but on the other hand, I didn't get invited to do one of these interviews that others were offered...

well, it does say that it keeps time-specific quotas, so that's actually good news? i.e. they won't end up accepting 800 ppl by the end of Jan this year if they're targetting accepting only 400 by that point. (i'm also trying to comfort myself).

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm

turkishangora wrote:
calicocat wrote:

well, it does say that it keeps time-specific quotas, so that's actually good news? i.e. they won't end up accepting 800 ppl by the end of Jan this year if they're targetting accepting only 400 by that point. (i'm also trying to comfort myself).

Frankly I don't think it means anything. It means, you are on our waitlist and we're not actually going to release our admissions strategies to you.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

I personally really like the way the Cornell admissions staff seems a little more open with their techniques than other admissions offices do. BTW interview request today by snail mail.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm

johndhi wrote:I personally really like the way the Cornell admissions staff seems a little more open with their techniques than other admissions offices do. BTW interview request today by snail mail.

really? in what way?

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 pm

turkishangora wrote:
johndhi wrote:I personally really like the way the Cornell admissions staff seems a little more open with their techniques than other admissions offices do. BTW interview request today by snail mail.

really? in what way?

Well, in post a few posts up, they quote Cornell telling them specific numbers about waitlists/admits or whatever it is. In the letter they sent me, they told me they interview around 150 applicants and accept a good deal of them. It just seems a little less cagey than a lot of the other communications I've received.

johndh

Postby johndh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

i just wanted to see johndh and johndhi post back to back

shaps6

Postby shaps6 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 am

hey folks,

i've been at applied since 1/5. I know that we have folks who have been stuck at applied since the dawn of time, but somebody in the Post-December LSAT thread has been marked complete and he SUBMITTED his application on 1/6. Do I bother Cornell with asking what the story is with my application or do I simply keep going along for the ride?

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am

shaps6 wrote:hey folks,

i've been at applied since 1/5. I know that we have folks who have been stuck at applied since the dawn of time, but somebody in the Post-December LSAT thread has been marked complete and he SUBMITTED his application on 1/6. Do I bother Cornell with asking what the story is with my application or do I simply keep going along for the ride?

I'd wait til at least the end of the week and see what happens. DId you submit on 1/5? It sounds like they're just starting to complete the late Dec/early Jan applications.

onetimeonly95

Postby onetimeonly95 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:09 am

^yeah I've been at applied since 1/11..but I'm not planning to contact the admissions office until about the first week of March only because I know they're trying to cope with their HUGE increase in apps.

shaps6

Postby shaps6 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 am

Late December applicant. I wasn't really planning on contacting them for a while either. Was just wondering if anyone else has heard from them. Carry on.

jrod

Postby jrod » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

Anyone still waiting for a decision who applied late November?

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 pm

jrod wrote:Anyone still waiting for a decision who applied late November?

Yes ME!!! I'm still applied from 11/24!!!!

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Yeah I applied 11/24 too Complete 1/20. I have yet to hear anything back from Cornell but hopefully this week

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Any of the deferred EA applicants get decisions back yet? I'm still at DR 11/20.

yelgnits

Postby yelgnits » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, still waiting from Applied 11/17!

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Still waiting, hykang.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Still waiting, hykang.

Come hang out in the EA deferred thread, hykang. It is way cooler than hearing people who have been complete since gasp JANUARY complain about it taking too long.

Sorry guys, just bitter...

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 pm

jks289 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Still waiting, hykang.

Come hang out in the EA deferred thread, hykang. It is way cooler than hearing people who have been complete since gasp JANUARY complain about it taking too long.

Sorry guys, just bitter...

Ha! Credited.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Applied since Jan 5th!!!! Grrrr what's taking so long Cornell! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:42 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Applied since Jan 5th!!!! Grrrr what's taking so long Cornell! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

+1000000000000000000

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Applied since Jan 5th!!!! Grrrr what's taking so long Cornell! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

+1000000000000000000

me too

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”