Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mb88

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby mb88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am

Just went "Decision"! :shock:

It says "as of 2/15", though, even though I checked it last night and it was still "Complete". Does Cornell backdate these things to curb anxiety? Also, are decisions usually emailed, a call, or snailmail?

*wrings hands nervously*

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 am

mb88 wrote:Just went "Decision"! :shock:

It says "as of 2/15", though, even though I checked it last night and it was still "Complete". Does Cornell backdate these things to curb anxiety? Also, are decisions usually emailed, a call, or snailmail?

*wrings hands nervously*

I think some schools (michigan) delay putting decision up until a few days after they mailed ur stuff out to minimize anxiety. I thought cornell emails admits?

yoyoma

Postby yoyoma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 am

*wrings hands nervously*

+1

I'm nervous because LSP has me as admit, but I haven't received an email. Do all admits receive an email?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 am

yoyoma wrote:

*wrings hands nervously*

+1

I'm nervous because LSP has me as admit, but I haven't received an email. Do all admits receive an email?

I don’t know if all admits receive an email, but in the past the EA applicants just called and got their decision over the phone once the status checker changed. Don't know if that is still acceptable.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 am

yoyoma wrote:

*wrings hands nervously*

+1

I haven't gotten an email yet, either, and LSP has me juuuusstt shy of "Admit" (I'm at 74%, and 75% seems to be the LSP "admit" barrier).

Maybe we'll be getting interview requests?

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm

When did you guys apply and go complete? (Those who had a status checker change today)

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Rovias wrote:When did you guys apply and go complete? (Those who had a status checker change today)

I applied in early December. Hmm...I think December 5th or 6th? I went complete January 27th.

ChrisC

Postby ChrisC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Has anyone gotten any word of scholarships yet?

yoyoma

Postby yoyoma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 pm

mb88 wrote:
Rovias wrote:When did you guys apply and go complete? (Those who had a status checker change today)

I applied in early December. Hmm...I think December 5th or 6th? I went complete January 27th.

I applied mid-November and went complete January 18. I still haven't received an email, so I hope it is an interview request.

jrod

Postby jrod » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Are they any decisions today who also received an acceptance email?

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

For people deferred EA - Did your status check ever update? Mine still says decision reached from 12/15. I received a confirmation email from them acknowledging my continued interest in late December. Just wondering...thanks.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 pm

ChrisC wrote:Has anyone gotten any word of scholarships yet?

Have you submitted your Financial Aid paperwork. You need to even for merit scholarships I believe.

Edit: And no, I have not heard yet.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Guys, I don't think Cornell emails admits. I think it's snail mail.

And to the person asking about EA status checkers, my date has stayed the same since the put me on reserve.

davidicus

Postby davidicus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Decision via status checker...submitted 11/12, complete 11/20.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

beef wellington wrote:Guys, I don't think Cornell emails admits.

Yes, they do.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

beef wellington wrote:Guys, I don't think Cornell emails admits. I think it's snail mail.

And to the person asking about EA status checkers, my date has stayed the same since the put me on reserve.

They send snail mail, but they also occasionally send a batch email to those admitted, including people who have not actually gotten the snail mail yet. Normally saying something like, "We couldn't wait to tell you"

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

galahad85 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Guys, I don't think Cornell emails admits.

Yes, they do.

Ok then, my mistake I guess.

StrawberryRed89

Postby StrawberryRed89 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

DrGuano wrote:For people deferred EA - Did your status check ever update? Mine still says decision reached from 12/15. I received a confirmation email from them acknowledging my continued interest in late December. Just wondering...thanks.

No, mine never updated either. It still says Decision 12/22.

hugoboss

Postby hugoboss » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 pm

my status is "applied" as of 1/19. is this the norm or should i be complete by now?
thanks

tm912

Postby tm912 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm

hugoboss wrote:my status is "applied" as of 1/19. is this the norm or should i be complete by now?
thanks

Cornell is insanely backed up with apps, so for this cycle it seems to be the norm. I have been stuck at "applied" since 1/5...here's hoping we will go complete before the end of March haha...

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Ok, what the hell, Cornell.
I get that you're inundated with applications. The 52% increase was very surprising to everyone, and you weren't prepared, sure. Take your time to get back to me, it's ok, I've gotten in other places I'd realistically rather go, anyway, but I do like your programmatic offerings and small size.

I don't know if any of you reading this received the same e-mail I got this morning. I use Gmail, and one of the things I like most about Gmail is that it gives you a preview of a message's content.

The email began:
"Dear XXXXX YYYYY, We’re delighted to inform you that your application for admission to Cornell..."

and continued "...Law School is complete and ready for committee review."

Argh. Never mind that on my status checker, it says it's been complete since sometime in Mid-December.

Way to be Cornhell. Yeah, I went there.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 pm

HaHa....

castellon

Postby castellon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Okay, so my status checker went to complete on the 11th saying decision rendered and that I had to wait the 10-14 days for it to arrive in the mail. I received a letter today which looked like a waitlist or a rejection, but was in fact, an interview request (preferable in person but phone is possible too). So, if you get decision status without an acceptance e-mail, hope is not lost. Unless you have a terrible personality and will fail at an interview.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:52 pm

castellon wrote:Okay, so my status checker went to complete on the 11th saying decision rendered and that I had to wait the 10-14 days for it to arrive in the mail. I received a letter today which looked like a waitlist or a rejection, but was in fact, an interview request (preferable in person but phone is possible too). So, if you get decision status without an acceptance e-mail, hope is not lost. Unless you have a terrible personality and will fail at an interview.

I assume an interview is just a way to YP and see if the applicant is really interested. Interviews are a very ineffective way to find out how a person will do in law school or in their career, and I'm sure any adcom worth their weight would know this.

castellon

Postby castellon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm

I feel like Cornell takes a shot at me (and everyone else) with this line. They promise to get back at you within a week after the interview, and then...

"In other words, you'll have a decision in plenty of time to meet the various 'deposit deadlines' of all the schools you've applied to."

Sounds like a jealous mistress: "We'll make it quick so you'll have time to go 'experience' all of your other women."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”