Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:43 pm

So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

blhoward2 wrote:So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?

I emailed them about my continued interest over the holidays, and they responded last week. My status checker still says decision, so I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:59 pm

blhoward2 wrote:So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?

If I recall correctly, the EA deferred thread from last year said that the date doesn't change until they reach a enw decision.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:53 pm

SanBun wrote:What's the best way to get to Cornell, from NYC? I'm gonna be in the city for a while and wanna visit... anyone have information on that?
appreciate it!

http://www.cornell.edu/visiting/ithaca/ ... m#southnyc

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 am

Just joining the party. Hi all.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/educa ... d.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:11 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”

I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

MarkRenton wrote:

I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.

i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:32 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.

This is probably not a big deal. It is probably at the time applications were up so much. Meaning that people who wouldn't usually use the EA option did, so those applications were up by 44%, this doesn't mean for the year their total applications will be significantly higher.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Kakarot wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

This is probably not a big deal. It is probably at the time applications were up so much. Meaning that people who wouldn't usually use the EA option did, so those applications were up by 44%, this doesn't mean for the year their total applications will be significantly higher.

+1

also we've been in this recession a while (bulk of layoffs happened many months ago)...long enough to give people time to consider law school, prepare and take the lsat, while still being able to get applications in early. the '44%' is just a staggering number considering their apps rose in the previous two cycles by 6 and 8 percent.

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?

I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?

Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:

I believe we established that they were likely holding off on updating anything on RD applications until EA's where done. And they have only been back at work for the past week after the holidays. Give it time. It seems like most, if not all, of the RD lot are in the same boat.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:

Same...I submitted a completed app early December and it is still only at "applied"

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:

Same...I submitted a completed app early December and it is still only at "applied"

Applied mid-November. Still says "applied."

Called the office in December. They said that they were still going through the ED pile and would get to me after winter vacation.

Edit: EA*

autumn80

Postby autumn80 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Holy fuck, 44%???!

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:41 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:

I believe we established that they were likely holding off on updating anything on RD applications until EA's where done. And they have only been back at work for the past week after the holidays. Give it time. It seems like most, if not all, of the RD lot are in the same boat.

Whoops, I should have read more of the previous posts! Well, as long as they aren't roasting smores. :)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

autumn80 wrote:
Holy fuck, 44%???!

i can't imagine many things that would scare me more. i hope they are all miserably underqualified

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

SanBun wrote:What's the best way to get to Cornell, from NYC? I'm gonna be in the city for a while and wanna visit... anyone have information on that?
appreciate it!

theres a bus that goes from the cornell club in nyc straight to the cornell campus. http://www.transportation.cornell.edu/coach/

Wanpsack1

Postby Wanpsack1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:38 am

I think that much of this can be attributed, in addition to the total number of people actually applying to all law schools, to the fact that instead of applying to 6-8 schools, a lot more people are applying to 16-18 schools. Since everyone knows that more people are applying to all the schools, people are more nervous about how they'll stack up and they are padding their chances. That article also said that Iowa was up 39% and San Francisco was up 35%.

Notor

Postby Notor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 am

Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:56 am

Notor wrote:Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months

i feel that

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Notor wrote:Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months

same here. sigh.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:25 pm

+1

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Set up a visit! They have such a great policy for these things. I'm really excited! I'm also going to beg to get in if it comes to it!

I'm at median GPA and 75% for LSAT...one of the deferred kids. I want in, Cornell. I'm willing to show it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”