Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:43 pm

So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

blhoward2 wrote:So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?


I emailed them about my continued interest over the holidays, and they responded last week. My status checker still says decision, so I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:59 pm

blhoward2 wrote:So I was EA and was deferred to the regular pool. I only recently received my letter because I was deployed. On the 5th, I e-mailed them and said I still wish to be considered. I haven't heard anything back since then and my status tracker still says decision with the deferred date. Did your guys tracker reset when you told them you still wanted to be considered?


If I recall correctly, the EA deferred thread from last year said that the date doesn't change until they reach a enw decision.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:53 pm

SanBun wrote:What's the best way to get to Cornell, from NYC? I'm gonna be in the city for a while and wanna visit... anyone have information on that?
appreciate it!


http://www.cornell.edu/visiting/ithaca/ ... m#southnyc

User avatar
devilishangelrjp
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 am

Just joining the party. Hi all.

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/educa ... d.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:11 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”


I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”


I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.



i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Unitas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:32 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”


I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.



i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.


This is probably not a big deal. It is probably at the time applications were up so much. Meaning that people who wouldn't usually use the EA option did, so those applications were up by 44%, this doesn't mean for the year their total applications will be significantly higher.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby najumobi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Kakarot wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”


I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.



i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.


This is probably not a big deal. It is probably at the time applications were up so much. Meaning that people who wouldn't usually use the EA option did, so those applications were up by 44%, this doesn't mean for the year their total applications will be significantly higher.

+1

also we've been in this recession a while (bulk of layoffs happened many months ago)...long enough to give people time to consider law school, prepare and take the lsat, while still being able to get applications in early. the '44%' is just a staggering number considering their apps rose in the previous two cycles by 6 and 8 percent.

Prime12
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Prime12 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...


Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...


Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?


I believe we established that they were likely holding off on updating anything on RD applications until EA's where done. And they have only been back at work for the past week after the holidays. Give it time. It seems like most, if not all, of the RD lot are in the same boat.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby MissLucky » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...


Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?



Same...I submitted a completed app early December and it is still only at "applied"

User avatar
je_ne_regrette_rien
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...


Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?



Same...I submitted a completed app early December and it is still only at "applied"


Applied mid-November. Still says "applied."

Called the office in December. They said that they were still going through the ED pile and would get to me after winter vacation.

Edit: EA*

autumn80
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby autumn80 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”


I am partly horrified with applying to schools knowing that admission standards must be substantially more difficult than previous. This makes me wish I would have been able to apply 2 or 3 years ago. However, the idea of being 3L right now is also not very comforting.



i knew applications were up, but not by THAT much. sheesh. i think i have absolutely zero hope of getting in off deferral.


Holy fuck, 44%???!

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:41 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:
Prime12 wrote:
Oli wrote:I applied mid November and my status is still at "applied" is anyone else in this situation?


I'm in the same boat and am starting to get a bit concerned...


Same for me... What are they doing over there? :?


I believe we established that they were likely holding off on updating anything on RD applications until EA's where done. And they have only been back at work for the past week after the holidays. Give it time. It seems like most, if not all, of the RD lot are in the same boat.


Whoops, I should have read more of the previous posts! Well, as long as they aren't roasting smores. :)

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

autumn80 wrote:
Holy fuck, 44%???!

i can't imagine many things that would scare me more. i hope they are all miserably underqualified

User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby moonshine » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

SanBun wrote:What's the best way to get to Cornell, from NYC? I'm gonna be in the city for a while and wanna visit... anyone have information on that?
appreciate it!


theres a bus that goes from the cornell club in nyc straight to the cornell campus. http://www.transportation.cornell.edu/coach/

User avatar
Wanpsack1
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Wanpsack1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:38 am

MirandaHobbes wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”






I think that much of this can be attributed, in addition to the total number of people actually applying to all law schools, to the fact that instead of applying to 6-8 schools, a lot more people are applying to 16-18 schools. Since everyone knows that more people are applying to all the schools, people are more nervous about how they'll stack up and they are padding their chances. That article also said that Iowa was up 39% and San Francisco was up 35%.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Notor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 am

Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months

User avatar
jmaan
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jmaan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:56 am

Notor wrote:Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months


i feel that

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Notor wrote:Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months



same here. sigh.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Notor wrote:Would be cool if I could go finally go complete, its been like 2 months


+1

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Set up a visit! They have such a great policy for these things. I'm really excited! I'm also going to beg to get in if it comes to it!

I'm at median GPA and 75% for LSAT...one of the deferred kids. I want in, Cornell. I'm willing to show it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dietcoke1, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, loslakers, potatocowpower, smashbash and 11 guests