Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
najumobi

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:59 am

ebc0017 wrote:As of 11/24/09 - Decision Rendered.
10/20 - Complete

Anyone else's status checker say this?

What to make of it?

it seems like noone who they have decided on has stats that would make them an "unrealistic reach" or a "strong target," just "realistic reach" and "target." those people probably wouldn't be receiving any (or many) t14 acceptances from higher ranked schools (e.g. those with one of lsat or gpa being above median and one being below median) and considering cornell's medians are pretty low, it would make sense that it would be a lot less likely that these students would be heading off to other T14 schools if accepted.
it makes me think as if they are trying first to admit attractive (more based on softs than other students they will admit) students they think will most likely attend, which would probably give them a better idea of how their class will look.

lol...but of course this is assuming that all of us who got pre-thanksgiving decisions were accepted.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:10 am

Does anyone know about law schools' asking if the applicant would like to change their application standing from Regular Decision to Early Action?

I applied RD, and the school contacted me to ask if I wanted EA due to my application being submitted in a timely manner.

I don't want to get too excited, but could this be more than an administrative move?

Please advise.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:Does anyone know about law schools' asking if the applicant would like to change their application standing from Regular Decision to Early Action?

I applied RD, and the school contacted me to ask if I wanted EA due to my application being submitted in a timely manner.

I don't want to get too excited, but could this be more than an administrative move?

Please advise.

no it's not more than an administrative move; they've asked several people who applied before the EA deadline but didn't mark whether or not they wanted to be considered for EA. i'm pretty sure the decision to inform you about EA was routine.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:18 am

That seems strange to me. Is Cornell lacking EA applicants, or is this method used to facilitate the admissions process?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:23 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:That seems strange to me. Is Cornell lacking EA applicants, or is this method used to facilitate the admissions process?

i doubt they're lacking EA applicants. sometimes people are just unaware of EA or just forget to mark that on the application even though they intend to apply EA. I think what they're doing is awesome; it would suck to turn in an application thinking you'll get a decision by december and then not be looked at until january.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:31 am

najumobi wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:That seems strange to me. Is Cornell lacking EA applicants, or is this method used to facilitate the admissions process?

i doubt they're lacking EA applicants. sometimes people are just unaware of EA or just forget to mark that on the application even though they intend to apply EA. I think what they're doing is awesome; it would suck to turn in an application thinking you'll get a decision by december and then not be looked at until january.

Good information to know. However, I did mark RD on my application and that I am a financial aid applicant, then low and behold, 7 days after I submitted my application, Cornell asked if I would like to change to EA. I do have a strong application, but a low LSAT score, so I was confused by their gesture. I thought, with my LSAT score, why would they change me to EA simply for administrative reasons, particularly if I had no chance of getting accepted? Either way, I'll find out soon!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:37 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
Good information to know. However, I did mark RD on my application and that I am a financial aid applicant, then low and behold, 7 days after I submitted my application, Cornell asked if I would like to change to EA. I do have a strong application, but a low LSAT score, so I was confused by their gesture. I thought, with my LSAT score, why would they change me to EA simply for administrative reasons, particularly if I had no chance of getting accepted? Either way, I'll find out soon!

that's my point exactly. the front office doesn't evaluate your chances of getting in. so whether you have no chance or a 100% chance of acceptance makes no difference to them when it comes to informing people of EA. that's why it isn't indicative. if want you can PM me your stats and i can tell you how good your chances are. though your lsat might be below median, your gpa may be high enough to make up for it.
Last edited by najumobi on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 am

najumobi wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:

really? where did you mark RD? I only see a question that asks you if you want to be considered EA, "yes or no"

sorry, I meant I checked "No"

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 am

10/20 - Complete

What to make of it?

Not mine, I'm still checked as "completed"

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:48 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
sorry, I meant I checked "No"

why did you check "no" if you weren't waiting to take the december lsat? did you think EA was binding?

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:16 am

najumobi wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Does anyone know about law schools' asking if the applicant would like to change their application standing from Regular Decision to Early Action?

Please advise.

no it's not more than an administrative move; they've asked several people who applied before the EA deadline but didn't mark whether or not they wanted to be considered for EA. i'm pretty sure the decision to inform you about EA was routine.

The same happened to me, and Cornell is a real reach. I think I have good softs, but I'm pretty sure they weren't begging me to allow them to accept me earlier rather than later. In fact, the opposite may be true. :shock:

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:31 am

sirchristaylor wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Please advise.

The same happened to me, and Cornell is a real reach. I think I have good softs, but I'm pretty sure they weren't begging me to allow them to accept me earlier rather than later. In fact, the opposite may be true. :shock:

Yeah, you're probably right, their not begging us to review our applications. :cry: I just thought it must mean something since they responded to my application so quickly. I'm with you, I have great softs, but I'm lacking a competitive lsat score. Cornell is definitely a reach for me too.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:39 am

They seem to have been pretty flexible and vigilant in trying to get anyone who should qualify for the EA deadline as part of the EA batch.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:12 am

is there an admitted students website that we can log into to see if we were accepted? my status went to decision and i'm very nervous

Fuser

Postby Fuser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 am

najumobi wrote:
10/20 - Complete

What to make of it?

it seems like noone who they have decided on has stats that would make them an "unrealistic reach" or a "strong target," just "realistic reach" and "target." those people probably wouldn't be receiving any (or many) t14 acceptances from higher ranked schools (e.g. those with one of lsat or gpa being above median and one being below median) and considering cornell's medians are pretty low, it would make sense that it would be a lot less likely that these students would be heading off to other T14 schools if accepted.
it makes me think as if they are trying first to admit attractive (more based on softs than other students they will admit) students they think will most likely attend, which would probably give them a better idea of how their class will look.

lol...but of course this is assuming that all of us who got pre-thanksgiving decisions were accepted.

This makes sense, but it makes more sense if the people who have received a pre-thanksgiving decision are being deferred.

I mean think about it if most of the people aren't auto-admits but also not auto-rejects they probably want to take a look at them when they have a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like come February.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:19 am

wow i agree fuser, and that is really depressing, as i would love to go to cornell and i have mad splitter states (3.0, 170)

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 am

Status checker still at "Early Action Complete".... Come on, Cornell! You know I love surprises! I also have the Mad Splitter Disease, so it's going to be quite disappointing to hear a "Hold" decision come December.

ankit

Postby ankit » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 am

Status checker changed to "Decision" for me as well. I'm an international applicant with a 174 LSAT (and no GPA) so I'm not sure what this means. Isn't there an admitted students' site that we can log into, to check whether we're accepted?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:32 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Status checker still at "Early Action Complete".... Come on, Cornell! You know I love surprises! I also have the Mad Splitter Disease, so it's going to be quite disappointing to hear a "Hold" decision come December.

You'll probably get YP'ed imo.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:32 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:According to LSN, every person who received a notification on 12/2 was accepted and the 5th and 6th also. It was not until the 8th that someone was rejected.

yes you're right! this gives me hope.....though fuser's comments are tempering it down.....extremely nervous

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:33 am

ankit wrote:Status checker changed to "Decision" for me as well. I'm an international applicant with a 174 LSAT (and no GPA) so I'm not sure what this means. Isn't there an admitted students' site that we can log into, to check whether we're accepted?

the admitted students' link is only supposed to show up after you get an email and/or letter in the mail.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:35 am

Fuser wrote:This makes sense, but it makes more sense if the people who have received a pre-thanksgiving decision are being deferred.

I mean think about it if most of the people aren't auto-admits but also not auto-rejects they probably want to take a look at them when they have a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like come February.

i too think that your analysis makes sense. although there has never been (at least according to LSN) a mass deferral in the first batch of decisions. deferrals or rejections seem to come sporadically in the beginning.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:39 am

anyone know cornell's 25th gpa? i see different numbers everywhere

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Status checker still at "Early Action Complete".... Come on, Cornell! You know I love surprises! I also have the Mad Splitter Disease, so it's going to be quite disappointing to hear a "Hold" decision come December.

You'll probably get YP'ed imo.

With my GPA? I wish. Either way a LOCI would be my solution, I think. I mean, seriously, look at that library. Those chandeliers are turning me on.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:42 am

Went to decision today. Can I safely say that I'm more than likely in?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”