Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beamsmehome

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby beamsmehome » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Are people who are getting in receiving emails or hard copies sent by post?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 pm

DrGuano wrote:Are people who are getting in receiving emails or hard copies sent by post?

I think they're calling. I think I'm going to wait until at least Monday before calling (DR 12/14) - if it's a bad decision, I do NOT want to get it on the phone!

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:21 pm

DrGuano wrote:Are people who are getting in receiving emails or hard copies sent by post?

People are calling to find out. Then, if you're in, they mail you a hard copy. They'll e-mail you if you tell them you're currently at a different address (if you're on winter break or something).

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Agreed. I have a 12/14 DR and would rather not call either way. I'd rather not bother them. Still anyone know if they email about decisions?

hv1

Postby hv1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm

they keep thinning the pile

if someone is still EAC, thoughts on if that is a bad idea to call -- it seems like make it an indirect question such as "im not going to be at my address next week"

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm

hv1 wrote:if someone is still EAC, thoughts on if that is a bad idea to call -- it seems like make it an indirect question such as "im not going to be at my address next week"

Nah, you can ask straight up. "I'd like to please check my application status." Simple as that.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Got it. Thanks summer schooled. One the associates at the firm I work at said he received his through email (that was over 6 years ago) so I just wanted to double-check.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:26 pm

mayosmith wrote:
hv1 wrote:if someone is still EAC, thoughts on if that is a bad idea to call -- it seems like make it an indirect question such as "im not going to be at my address next week"

Nah, you can ask straight up. "I'd like to please check my application status." Simple as that.

+1 I just asked. She was really nice about it but, unfortunately for me, didn't yet have an answer.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 pm

DrGuano wrote:Got it. Thanks summer schooled. One the associates at the firm I work at said he received his through email (that was over 6 years ago) so I just wanted to double-check.

No problem. Good luck!

hv1

Postby hv1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

+1 I just asked. She was really nice about it but, unfortunately for me, didn't yet have an answer.

so for those EAC, as you read this thread, they are reading your app probably ... that's epic

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm DR 12/14 and I've decided to be patient and not call. I am out of town, so I will look forward to opening my mailbox (to find nothing awesome in there) when I get home.

Indeed, this batch looks like lots of deferrals/some acceptances (both above 75th percentiles).

You know, my expectations were probably unrealistic. Cornell is a reach for me, and over time I lost sight of the true purpose of early action. Early action acceptances are for folks who Cornell thinks are 1) auto-admits/highly qualified (by the numbers) and 2) people who, in Cornell's estimation, might actually attend. The rest of us (I have 75th LSAT and 25th GPA), just have to wait it out and be considered with the "regulars".

Another thing: I'm thinking that even when deferred, we have a slight leg up on people who are only RD. At least we gave EA a shot.

-HL

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm

I called to find out my decision (I went DR 12/14), and their database is down! It might not be back up for the rest of the day. :cry:

The nice person on the phone suggested that I try back in an hour or so.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm

I swear to Christ if I'm deferred...

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Any 12/14 DR applicants receive a ding?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I swear to Christ if I'm deferred...

You're rockin a 169, no? I thought I remembered that from somewhere. If so, and if Cornell behaves according to last year in regards to LSAT, you stand a strong chance of EA admission. A 168? Apparently not so much. :cry:

-HL

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Is this a fill in the blank game. I'll play.

hopefulundergrad wrote:I swear to Christ if I'm deferred, I will feast on the blood of the innocent and rain terror upon the world of TLS.
Last edited by CyLaw on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Aren't you already in at UVA? I don't think you really need to be complaining...

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

You're rockin a 169, no? I thought I remembered that from somewhere. If so, and if Cornell behaves according to last year in regards to LSAT, you stand a strong chance of EA admission. A 168? Apparently not so much. :cry:

-HL

169 deferred right here.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:33 pm

galahad85 wrote:

Aren't you already in at UVA? I don't think you really need to be complaining...

Not complaining, just ominously foreshadowing.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:35 pm

I don't think I will ever understand people feeling entitled to acceptances...

Edited to add: Sorry if that's not what you meant. But that is how it sounds.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm

krispykitten wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

-HL

169 deferred right here.

Wowza. Then that actually makes me feel better to be in good company. Again, if you go up to my earlier post, I think Cornell is treating EA as "Early Auto-Admit". Everyone else is going to be held over and considered as RD, as the way things are going, it seems as if the majority of Cornell matriculants last year were probably held over or were RD to begin with.

-HL

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm

jks289 wrote:

I think I'm competitive but by no means feel entitled to an acceptance. I just hate the fact that deferrals exist. You promised that if I applied by a certain date, you would give me a decision by a certain date. A deferral is not a decision, it merely allows a school to back out of its contract with you by providing a pseudo-decision.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

-HL

169 deferred right here.

Wowza. Then that actually makes me feel better to be in good company. Again, if you go up to my earlier post, I think Cornell is treating EA as "Early Auto-Admit". Everyone else is going to be held over and considered as RD, as the way things are going, it seems as if the majority of Cornell matriculants last year were probably held over or were RD to begin with.

-HL

Yeah, I'm certainly hoping so. And I didn't mean that to come off snippy-- just that there really aren't any safe stats.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:44 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
jks289 wrote:

I think I'm competitive but by no means feel entitled to an acceptance. I just hate the fact that deferrals exist. You promised that if I applied by a certain date, you would give me a decision by a certain date. A deferral is not a decision, it merely allows a school to back out of its contract with you by providing a pseudo-decision.

Agreed.

EA is one big tease. If EA didn't exist the people who actually get in through EA would have gotten in by this time anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”