Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Emma.

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Emma. » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:48 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:Called, I'm in.

Fuck yeah!!!

Congrats Boo (and everyone else accepted!)

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 pm

emrose wrote:
boo_pragmatism wrote:Called, I'm in.

Fuck yeah!!!

Congrats Boo (and everyone else accepted!)

+1 million trillion kajillion!!

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Padimud wrote:Did anyone else get an invite to apply to their JD/MBA 3 year program today? They deferred me like a bulk of the posters here, but then they say this. Is this some sort of message saying, apply JD/MBA or bust??

Hmmm. That's odd. From most JD/MBA programs, it seems like being a dual degree candidate doesn't really affect your chances at getting into one of the programs (i.e. not a big boost). If I were you, I would call the SUPER NICE admissions office and ask them if you receiving that dual degree invite was intentional (meaning, it was a direct result from your deferral). While you're at it, ask them if being a dual-degree candidate helps. You probably won't have to give your name to ask a general question.

Do you have work experience? Do you have an idea of why they would have sent you an invite for the JD/MBA?

Hope that deferral pans out for you. Good luck.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 pm

sukaili wrote:I got the status checker email on 12/1 and haven't gone complete yet, should I be concerned? Anyone else still waiting to go complete?

I got the email 12/3 and I'm still waiting, for what its worth.

Lucille.Two

Postby Lucille.Two » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Longtime TLS follower, first time poster...

For those who called today and were told they were being deferred/held for reserve, did you get the impression that there is a difference between EA deferred and EA reserve held, or were they using the terms interchangeably? I'm wondering if there is a difference between the deferrals we saw earlier in the cycle for Cornell and the ones they were giving out today?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:41 pm

wired wrote:Actually, the Prisoner's Dilemma is set up so that self-interest causes net social welfare to suffer. Blanketing the Top 20 is a personal welfare maximizing decision since no matter what our opponent chooses, it is always a better option. However, you are right, that colluding to both pick "not blanket" would result in a better outcome than "blanket, blanket."

Ah, yes my friend, you are correct. I mislabeled it on purpose because "Prisoner's Dilemma" just sounds cool. Put simply: law school applicants are locked in a game theoretic sub-optimal Cournot-Nash equilibrium.
And that just sucks.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
wired wrote:Actually, the Prisoner's Dilemma is set up so that self-interest causes net social welfare to suffer. Blanketing the Top 20 is a personal welfare maximizing decision since no matter what our opponent chooses, it is always a better option. However, you are right, that colluding to both pick "not blanket" would result in a better outcome than "blanket, blanket."

Ah, yes my friend, you are correct. I mislabeled it on purpose because "Prisoner's Dilemma" just sounds cool. Put simply: law school applicants are locked in a game theoretic sub-optimal Cournot-Nash equilibrium.
And that just sucks.

+1.

mxc

Postby mxc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Look at what Cornell has done to us...

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

And that just sucks.

Put simply?

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:11 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

And that just sucks.

Put simply?

INCONCEIVABLE!

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 pm

so is the acceptance letter just a letter? or is it more of a packet?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 pm

2 hours. Today is the day...

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm

tintin wrote:so is the acceptance letter just a letter? or is it more of a packet?

It had an acceptance letter, some information about financial aid deadlines (though no mention of any actual scholarship money), a map of Ithaca, an Ithaca restaurant guide, and a copy of the Cornell's alumni magazine, The Forum.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

And that just sucks.

This is known as the Stag Hunt. Two possible Nash equilibria; not blanketing not blanketing is pareto efficient, but blanket blanket is also a Nash equilibrium. With uncertainty and more than 1 actor, its no surprise we reach that outcome.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:10 pm

krispykitten wrote:2 hours. Today is the day...

I like your optimism, Krispy. I haven't been staying up lately to status check at midnight, because I've resigned myself to hearing from them on Christmas Eve day... then if I get a DR before that I'll be estatic... unless its a reject or deferral.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 pm

beesknees wrote:
krispykitten wrote:2 hours. Today is the day...

I like your optimism, Krispy. I haven't been staying up lately to status check at midnight, because I've resigned myself to hearing from them on Christmas Eve day... then if I get a DR before that I'll be estatic... unless its a reject or deferral.

Seriously. It's got to be time for team 13. It just has to...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:27 pm

krispykitten wrote:Seriously. It's got to be time for team 13. It just has to...

For the record, if I get in I'll have tshirts made for that game of flag football.

...We also need to get enough 11/13'ers in. So whoever is first to be admitted needs to make the admissions staff aware of our plans.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
krispykitten wrote:Seriously. It's got to be time for team 13. It just has to...

For the record, if I get in I'll have tshirts made for that game of flag football.

...We also need to get enough 11/13'ers in. So whoever is first to be admitted needs to make the admissions staff aware of our plans.

i'll be sure to say something, IF ONLY THEY WOULD LET US IN!!!! or at least make a dang decision.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm

I left it open on purpose so as not to jinx anyone.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:34 pm

5ky wrote:Okay seriously guys, I just finished a class on Game Theory. I'm trying to put it behind me and move on with my life, but you aren't helping...

There is no running from game theory my friend. Once you know it, you see it everywhere. Also, to the person who classified it as the Stag Hunt: you are correct.

-HL

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I left it open on purpose so as not to jinx anyone.

Well, mirdamad and boss are in, so that's 2. COME ONNNN.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
5ky wrote:Okay seriously guys, I just finished a class on Game Theory. I'm trying to put it behind me and move on with my life, but you aren't helping...

There is no running from game theory my friend. Once you know it, you see it everywhere. Also, to the person who classified it as the Stag Hunt: you are correct.

-HL

Who wants to calculate the mixed strategy NE for the number of schools to which a person should apply? I vote not it.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:20 am

Georgetown rejection confirmed. Cornell, let that fee waiver mean something.

hv1

Postby hv1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:24 am

this is IT

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”