Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jacques

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Jacques » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Yeah, but once they've made a decision they're not going to revoke an offer because you called admissions twice.

You're assuming I'm getting in. :wink:
Last edited by Jacques on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Wait it out everyone that has not gone DR. Just because they are nice, doesn't mean you should effectively abuse them by bombarding them with phone calls... I imagine they have more important things to do.

Additionally, they have NOT reviewed all applicants yet, I just received an e-mail stating they are about to review my file, and they wanted to know whether to wait for my December LSAT or not. So while some people have been decided on past my complete date 11/13, that does not mean that everyone before that point has been reviewed in one fashion or another.

Good luck everyone!

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:46 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Wait it out everyone that has not gone DR. Just because they are nice, doesn't mean you should effectively abuse them by bombarding them with phone calls... I imagine they have more important things to do.

That's the thing. If enough people bug them, then they may stop handing out phone decisions all together -- even if you have a DR.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Just called as well. Regardless of my continued EAC status, they told me my decision over the phone:

Deferred. (Within one hour of my UVA rejection, too. What a day)

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Pol sci 101, the shared commons where everyone lets their cows graze and the whole thing is destroyed for everyone?

Not the correct terms, but same principle.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Just called as well. Regardless of my continued EAC status, they told me my decision over the phone:

Deferred. (Within one hour of my UVA rejection, too. What a day)

Sorry to hear that. :(

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Pol sci 101, the shared commons where everyone lets their cows graze and the whole thing is destroyed for everyone?

Free rider effect?

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:59 pm

tragedy of the commons?

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off until my status checker goes to Decision...

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Man. It stings, but I'm going to hold off calling until DR as well. Seems like the least I can do.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Jacques wrote:
barrydukakis wrote:Wait it out everyone that has not gone DR. Just because they are nice, doesn't mean you should effectively abuse them by bombarding them with phone calls... I imagine they have more important things to do.

That's the thing. If enough people bug them, then they may stop handing out phone decisions all together -- even if you have a DR.

+1. After a couple of days of being flooded with phone calls, Cornell may decide to adopt the policy of other schools and not give out decisions over the phone. If your status checker shows DR, then call; otherwise, knock it off, please. It won't kill you to wait an extra day or two.
Last edited by Dignan on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm

Last edited by barrydukakis on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Last edited by Cogburn87 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 pm

barrydukakis wrote:what is... tragedy of the commons.

washingtonian wrote:tragedy of the commons?

TITCR

boss wrote:
barrydukakis wrote:Pol sci 101, the shared commons where everyone lets their cows graze and the whole thing is destroyed for everyone?

Free rider effect?

The free rider effect is when people use a common good without contributing to its costs.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 pm

ontologyfail wrote:

TITCR

boss wrote:

Free rider effect?

The free rider effect is when people use a common good without contributing to its costs.

I'm just going to +1 the whole post because I like your name and TITCR

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:36 pm

All of this economics talk: Free riders and Tragedies of the Common. How about the Prisoner's Dilemma?

The entire law admissions process is one big Prisoner's Dilemma. If only all of us could agree to divide ourselves up in small groups and apply ONLY to a few schools we are TRULY interested in attending, then all of us collectively, would A) stand a better chance of admission (as the applicant pools would be much smaller and probably less competitive), and B) once admitted, each of us would be happier as we would be more likely to attend a school we truly want to be at.

Instead, all of it is one big Prisoner's Fail Fest: Each of us, acting in our own interests, BLANKETS the top 20 with applications. Doing this only works to our collective failure as it A) puts more power in the hands of the admissions committees (the pools are larger and thus our chance of admittance at EACH and EVERY school is lowered per each additional competitive application submitted), and B) when we ARE admitted, even if we make it into a respectable school, there is a chance that we would be happier where say another student is, and that that student would be happier where we are.

Self interested actors acting in self-interest cause outcomes that hurt their own self-interest.

Then again, this is probably good, otherwise there might not be a need for lawyers. :lol:

-HL

Edit: I didn't pluralize BLANKETS. Also, still EAC 10/28. wtf.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

TITCR

boss wrote:

Free rider effect?

I'm just going to +1 the whole post because I like your name and TITCR

Why thank you :D

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Cornell is turning me into a horrible person to be around.

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 pm

still EAC 11/16. when's the latest they can let you know?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:25 pm

louboutin wrote:still EAC 11/16. when's the latest they can let you know?

12/24.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Instead, all of it is one big Prisoner's Fail Fest: Each of us, acting in our own interests, BLANKETS the top 20 with applications. Doing this only works to our collective failure as it A) puts more power in the hands of the admissions committees (the pools are larger and thus our chance of admittance at EACH and EVERY school is lowered per each additional competitive application submitted), and B) when we ARE admitted, even if we make it into a respectable school, there is a chance that we would be happier where say another student is, and that that student would be happier where we are.

Self interested actors acting in self-interest cause outcomes that hurt their own self-interest.

Actually, the Prisoner's Dilemma is set up so that self-interest causes net social welfare to suffer. Blanketing the Top 20 is a personal welfare maximizing decision since no matter what our opponent chooses, it is always a better option. However, you are right, that colluding to both pick "not blanket" would result in a better outcome than "blanket, blanket."

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:34 pm

It's not exactly tragedy of the commons, though the point is valid if we categorize Cornell's patience as a resource instead of seeing Cornell as an actor itself. I think the prisoner's dilemma is a little better explanation, if only because game theory is much more vague than a specific econ theory.

hv1

Postby hv1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Additionally, they have NOT reviewed all applicants yet, I just received an e-mail stating they are about to review my file, and they wanted to know whether to wait for my December LSAT or not. So while some people have been decided on past my complete date 11/13, that does not mean that everyone before that point has been reviewed in one fashion or another.

Good luck everyone!

wow, looks like accepts and rejects and deferrals across the board.

this is down to the wire.
Last edited by hv1 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sukaili

Postby sukaili » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 pm

I got the status checker email on 12/1 and haven't gone complete yet, should I be concerned? Anyone else still waiting to go complete?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Did anyone else get an invite to apply to their JD/MBA 3 year program today? They deferred me like a bulk of the posters here, but then they say this. Is this some sort of message saying, apply JD/MBA or bust??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”