Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chrysander

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Chrysander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 pm

I called and they said a decision letter was mailed to me on Monday. I got put on reserve until March. :(

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Chrysander wrote:I called and they said a decision letter was mailed to me on Monday. I got put on reserve until March. :(

When did you go to DR?

Sorry for the less than awesome news. These things always work out, and you weren't rejected. It ain't over til it's over.

Chrysander

Postby Chrysander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:41 pm

I haven't yet, I called to confirm my address they had. It just sucks cause I really want to go to Cornell. I will send them an updated transcript, and a killer LOCI. Does anybody know the success rate of getting in off the reserve?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Chrysander wrote:I haven't yet, I called to confirm my address they had. It just sucks cause I really want to go to Cornell. I will send them an updated transcript, and a killer LOCI. Does anybody know the success rate of getting in off the reserve?

Wow, now I am thinking maybe I should just call and try to find out.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 pm

jks289 wrote:
Chrysander wrote:I haven't yet, I called to confirm my address they had. It just sucks cause I really want to go to Cornell. I will send them an updated transcript, and a killer LOCI. Does anybody know the success rate of getting in off the reserve?

Wow, now I am thinking maybe I should just call and try to find out.

Do it. Report back soldier.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Deferred. I am pretty bummed out I can't lie. Hardly a surprise.

I just called and asked if I could check on the status of my application. She said "sure" and told me over the phone. Seemed sort of sad to tell me. Used the word "reserve" and said I woudl be looked at in April. :cry:

Chrysander

Postby Chrysander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:52 pm

She said April for you but March for me? That's very odd indeed she did say the letter would contain more details.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 pm

jks289 wrote:Deferred. I am pretty bummed out I can't lie. Hardly a surprise.

I just called and asked if I could check on the status of my application. She said "sure" and told me over the phone. Seemed sort of sad to tell me. Used the word "reserve" and said I woudl be looked at in April. :cry:

Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like they might have most of the decisions made--or at least another batch of DR's coming out tonight.

As for Deferred vs. Reserve Vs. Summer Wait list goes--I know the summer wait list usually sees little to no movement. I'd also imagine Deferred people see more movement than Reserve people, though it seems like they sometimes use the term interchangeably.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm

I just checked too. She said a letter went out Tuesday. She used the term "deferred" and "reserve." I asked her for clarification. She said my application would be held to the regular decision pool and compared against those applications.

I expected this to occur, especially with my GPA (3.38, but strong trend). Here's hoping I do well on my finals this week!

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 pm

cougarlive wrote:
jks289 wrote:Deferred. I am pretty bummed out I can't lie. Hardly a surprise.

Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like they might have most of the decisions made--or at least another batch of DR's coming out tonight.

As for Deferred vs. Reserve Vs. Summer Wait list goes--I know the summer wait list usually sees little to no movement. I'd also imagine Deferred people see more movement than Reserve people, though it seems like they sometimes use the term interchangeably.

I think deferred and reserve are the same thing. I will call once I compose myself a little and ask for clarification.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear about those who have been deferred... Has anyone else called without seeing a DR first?

wired

Postby wired » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

mayosmith wrote:Sorry to hear about those who have been deferred... Has anyone else called without seeing a DR first?

I think the past four of five people who have updated called before seeing DR.

I was one of them. I am still EAC and they let me know over the phone.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

mayosmith wrote:Sorry to hear about those who have been deferred... Has anyone else called without seeing a DR first?

Just call. She didn't even hesitate. I just said I wanted to check my status and she asked for my name. Trust me, waiting is worse than knowing.

Chrysander

Postby Chrysander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:17 pm

She told me that the committee was very interested in my file, and that they will re-assess files reserved starting even in January. She said your chance of admission decreases with time. She said that you need is that extra something to add to your file to get it pushed to an acceptance. Considering Cornell's admits so far seem to be mostly very high numbers, and there are few decisions really left to go, I think that they will draw substantially from their reserve list considering many people will eventually withdraw their offers.

strandm2

Postby strandm2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 pm

Bah

Just called, no decision still EAC 11/11. The lady was very nice and surprisingly didn't seem annoyed.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 pm

Did anyone who received an acceptance packet hear anything about scholarships? I just got my packet today and it has no mention.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

strandm2 wrote:Bah

Just called, no decision still EAC 11/11. The lady was very nice and surprisingly didn't seem annoyed.

Yeah, I am convinced Cornell has the NICEST admissions staff ever (they are even nicer in person).

However, I don't know if I could take heartache if given the bad news over the phone, again.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 pm

jks289 wrote:Just call. She didn't even hesitate. I just said I wanted to check my status and she asked for my name. Trust me, waiting is worse than knowing.

You're right, she was nice, even after my bad joke about how they might be getting a lot of calls today. But I don't have a decision yet. She told me to keep updating that status checker.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:38 pm

cougarlive wrote:Yeah, I am convinced Cornell has the NICEST admissions staff ever (they are even nicer in person).

+1e100

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Inspired by you all, I also called while still EAC.

Placed on "reserve" - meaning being thrown back in with the RD folks and reviewed again in a few months. Guess now would be the time to work on that LOCI and ace my finals.

The lady who answered the phone was crazy nice, though.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:47 pm

All you people calling while EAC are tempting me. I'll wait to see if I go DR tomorrow and if not then I'll call. It would be nice to have good news today to make up for my ding at Penn, but it's not worth the risk of getting double bad news.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:48 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:Inspired by you all, I also called while still EAC.

Placed on "reserve" - meaning being thrown back in with the RD folks and reviewed again in a few months. Guess now would be the time to work on that LOCI and ace my finals.

The lady who answered the phone was crazy nice, though.

We should all send a petition declaring Cornell the second nicest law admissions office. (1st is Vandy. Just sayin'.)

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Any of you folks jumping the gun 11/13ers?

StrawberryRed89

Postby StrawberryRed89 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Jacques wrote:Any of you folks jumping the gun 11/13ers?

I'm still EAC 11/13, called today, and was told that I'm still under committee review but that I should probably hear by the 24th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”