Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beamsmehome

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby beamsmehome » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:19 pm

madhatter01 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
madhatter01 wrote:I was deferred. I guess I'll be sending in transcripts and whatnot.

Sorry to hear that but you are in great company. Get started on your LOCI, and you'll be fine. good luck. Mind sharing your stats?

Np. 166/3.7

Time to figure out what a LOCI is. What kind of supplemental material do they want?

Sorry to hear that. A LOCI is a letter of continued interest. It's something you send so that they update your file, and hopefully look at it again (and favorably.)

Supplemental material can include maybe updated transcripts or an award received, if you are still in undergrad, or an additional recommendation letter, maybe from an employer or something along those lines.

panda

Postby panda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

CyLaw wrote:
panda wrote:
CyLaw wrote:No so much a problem with it, as it was just disturbing on some basic, instinctual level that I will never be able to articulate into words. It was an unspeakable horror worthy of HP Lovecraft.

wow, youre quite the charmer..

Okay. So it was not that bad.

How is Ithaca this time of year? Is it mostly snow, no snow, or mostly ice? I'm just wondering how it compares to the current weather in the midwest.

well, we had snow for like 2 days, quite the storm.. (this was at the beginning of the weekend.. ) then it all cleared up, and now it has just been a little rainy and cold.
not so bad till now actually, i was in MI this time last year, and it was A LOT worse.. and the 2Ls are saying this year's winter has been pretty gentle.. i think by mid jan. it will be mostly white everywhere.. till.. march. ugh.

panda

Postby panda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:21 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Should we submit the LOCI asap or wait until they are at least done with EA decision making?

asap. nothing shows dedication like being punctual..

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:23 pm

madhatter01 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
madhatter01 wrote:I was deferred. I guess I'll be sending in transcripts and whatnot.

Sorry to hear that but you are in great company. Get started on your LOCI, and you'll be fine. good luck. Mind sharing your stats?

Np. 166/3.7

Time to figure out what a LOCI is. What kind of supplemental material do they want?

Sorry about the deferral, but at least now you have the max amount of time to prep your materials and write a great LOCI. Just a page expressing your sincere interest in the school can set you apart from other deferred candidates. Just stay positive and don't think of it like any sort of rejection or waitlist. They will totally look at your file from scratch soon enough, so just make it as strong as possible.

madhatter01

Postby madhatter01 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm

^ Thanks everyone! Honestly, I was expecting a rejection, so I'm sort of happy to have a second chance.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I just tried to call and got a non-working number.... Is there a better number to call?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

thorntll wrote:I just tried to call and got a non-working number.... Is there a better number to call?

The first number at http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admissions/contact.cfm worked for me.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm

thorntll wrote:I just tried to call and got a non-working number.... Is there a better number to call?

607-255-5141

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm

So I am about to write my first LOCI ever as I was also deferred.

This may be a dumb question so forgive me. Should I actually write it in a letter form? Like:To Whom It May Concern or Dear Admissions Committee

Or just write it as an essay?

Thanks.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:32 pm

somethingclever wrote:So I am about to write my first LOCI ever as I was also deferred.

This may be a dumb question so forgive me. Should I actually write it in a letter form? Like:To Whom It May Concern or Dear Admissions Committee

Thanks.

I don't know the correct answer, but I would probably say "Dear Cornell Admissions,"

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm

somethingclever wrote:So I am about to write my first LOCI ever as I was also deferred.

Thanks.

I think it should be a letter format.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm

She said I got in! But it seemed to go so quickly... She didn't even ask for my LSAC number. But I'm not going to question it.

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks.

Also, how honest should I be? I mean the only place that I might actually get into that would make me second guess Cornell would be Penn. Do I say "you are one of my top choices" or do folks think it is wise not to address this unless the school is solidly your first choice.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm

thorntll wrote:She said I got in! But it seemed to go so quickly... She didn't even ask for my LSAC number. But I'm not going to question it.

Fantastic!! Congratulations. Aren't you glad you called now? :P

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm

thorntll wrote:She said I got in! But it seemed to go so quickly... She didn't even ask for my LSAC number. But I'm not going to question it.

She at least asked for your name right? :)

Congrats.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:35 pm

CyLaw wrote:
panda wrote:
CyLaw wrote:No so much a problem with it, as it was just disturbing on some basic, instinctual level that I will never be able to articulate into words. It was an unspeakable horror worthy of HP Lovecraft.

wow, youre quite the charmer..

Okay. So it was not that bad.

How is Ithaca this time of year? Is it mostly snow, no snow, or mostly ice? I'm just wondering how it compares to the current weather in the midwest.

Cold, gray, snow, rain, but other than that it is great. You get used to the weather pretty quickly. Also, the waterfalls freeze and they look awesome.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:36 pm

somethingclever wrote:

Thanks.

Also, how honest should I be? I mean the only place that I might actually get into that would make me second guess Cornell would be Penn. Do I say "you are one of my top choices" or do folks think it is wise not to address this unless the school is solidly your first choice.

I think an adcome can smell insincerty from a mile away. If Cornell is one of your top choices, say so. But don't say it is your first choice if it isn't (especially if your numbers don't match). This letter just needs to convey you have done your homework, you are thoughtful and focused, and a deferral doens't mean you just give up... You'll be fine as long as it is sincere.

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 pm

jks289 wrote:
somethingclever wrote:

Thanks.

I think an adcome can smell insincerty from a mile away. If Cornell is one of your top choices, say so. But don't say it is your first choice if it isn't (especially if your numbers don't match). This letter just needs to convey you have done your homework, you are thoughtful and focused, and a deferral doens't mean you just give up... You'll be fine as long as it is sincere.

Thanks TLS. What would I do with out you? :P

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 pm

swc65 wrote:Also, the waterfalls freeze and they look awesome.
How do waterfalls freeze? It seems like it'd need to be super cold to freeze something in so much motion as a waterfall, unless it's really small. Does the waterfall itself freeze in mid-fall? I'm imagining something like the magic cryofreeze ball from Demolition Man.

Chrysander

Postby Chrysander » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:54 pm

I think those of us in Canada know that even big waterfalls freeze (I'm from the Rocky Mountains). :P

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:54 pm

NayBoer wrote:
swc65 wrote:Also, the waterfalls freeze and they look awesome.
How do waterfalls freeze? It seems like it'd need to be super cold to freeze something in so much motion as a waterfall, unless it's really small. Does the waterfall itself freeze in mid-fall? I'm imagining something like the magic cryofreeze ball from Demolition Man.

My question is if I go to Cornell, are there any waterfalls that freeze enough to climb.
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/climbing/waterfall-climbing.htm/printable

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 pm

How many of those of you who are in are seriously considering Cornell (not as in "If I don't get in anywhere else")? Anyone out there ready to make a Cornell 2013 thread?

Annnnd I just saw it so nevermind...

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 pm

jks289 wrote:How many of those of you who are in are seriously considering Cornell (not as in "If I don't get in anywhere else")? Anyone out there ready to make a Cornell 2013 thread?

It all depends on the money. Cornell is insanely expensive and I don't think I could justify paying sticker price. But it is still one of my absolute top choices and if they offer me a pretty good scholarship, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 pm

jks289 wrote:How many of those of you who are in are seriously considering Cornell (not as in "If I don't get in anywhere else")? Anyone out there ready to make a Cornell 2013 thread?

Annnnd I just saw it so nevermind...

Really it depends only on if I get in ED to GW. If I am deferred to RD, then Cornell will more than likely be where I end up.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 pm

dakatz wrote:

It all depends on the money. Cornell is insanely expensive and I don't think I could justify paying sticker price. But it is still one of my absolute top choices and if they offer me a pretty good scholarship, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Where else are you considering? Would you leave the T14 for money?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”