Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mxc

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby mxc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

It's possible they just got a big whiff of "generic" from those particular applicants and decided to defer them.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm

crackberry wrote:
This still doesn't explain Cornell's strange deferring practices from a couple weeks ago.

what about cornell's deferring practices is strange?

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Come on people, wake up and check your Cornell decision, I want to see who else does not have the accepted students link...

I'm 12/8 Decision without student link. It also appears that the 12/7 admits did not have the student link either, or at least not a single person mentioned it, but some 12/8 admits did mention they had the link. My guess is that the 12/7 12/8 cycle is the same cycle, just depends on when the system was updated. The only rejections I heard for December were from the 12/4 cycle. Thoughts?

I think we've established already that this isn't true. 12/8 is clearly a mixed bag of acceptances and rejections. Anyone who checked their status checker before 8 am EST and had the admitted students link is in; anyone who checked before 8 and didn't have that link is rejected. Those who didn't check til after 8 am EST won't know unless they call.

This still doesn't explain Cornell's strange deferring practices from a couple weeks ago.

interesting. how do you know people without the link haven't just been put on hold? Is Cornell only accepting and rejecting at this point? (please forgive my ignorance on this issue, I haven't been following the thread as closely as I should!) :)

hv1

Postby hv1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Come on people, wake up and check your Cornell decision, I want to see who else does not have the accepted students link...

I'm 12/8 Decision without student link. It also appears that the 12/7 admits did not have the student link either, or at least not a single person mentioned it, but some 12/8 admits did mention they had the link. My guess is that the 12/7 12/8 cycle is the same cycle, just depends on when the system was updated. The only rejections I heard for December were from the 12/4 cycle. Thoughts?

I think we've established already that this isn't true. 12/8 is clearly a mixed bag of acceptances and rejections. Anyone who checked their status checker before 8 am EST and had the admitted students link is in; anyone who checked before 8 and didn't have that link is rejected. Those who didn't check til after 8 am EST won't know unless they call.

interesting. how do you know people without the link haven't just been put on hold? Is Cornell only accepting and rejecting at this point? (please forgive my ignorance on this issue, I haven't been following the thread as closely as I should!) :)

only heard of acceptances and rejections at this point

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

hv1 wrote:only heard of acceptances and rejections at this point

okay cool. I'm still EAC 11/11 here and I'm getting pretty nervous. thanks for your help!

johndh

Postby johndh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

jks289 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
jks289 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Doesn't look like they admitted a single 167 applicant (per the data on LSN). But seeing as that was their median last year, I doubt that they won't at least tap into some qualified applicants in that range with that score. So I'm not giving up yet just because I have a late October date that is still at EAC (though I feel like I should).

LSN is worthless. Just look at the spread of last years Cornell graph. Median 167 means just as many green on either side of the line, but it is heavily weighted to higher. And median GPA 3.6 means as much green above as below, but again there is like a 3 or 4 to one ratio.

Median doesn't quite that 50% should be below - if you have all 168's, the median is 168. It just mean it's the mid-mark. So truly there could be a very low percentage below the median and still have the median as it is.

Yes, (my fault, poorly stated) but then there would be large number of 168s, right? And there are very few. The LSN median looks to be 169, maybe 170. So I think the logic holds.

Edited to add, median still means every green above median has to be offset by a green below median. So considering the 167s (the Cornell median) a wash, isn't it still skewed. Is my understanding of math wrong here?

Don't the published stats come from the matriculated students? In that case more people could be admitted above the median than below as more of those admitted above would be likely to go elsewhere.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Just got acceptance package. Deans Scholarship is for 40K for each year. Up to ten will be awarded. Essay is 500 words on picking a major.

aetennis17

Postby aetennis17 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:52 pm

EAC 10/20 and no DR.

164/3.97

Low LSAT- feeling pretty doomed :/

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:53 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Just got acceptance package. Deans Scholarship is for 40K for each year. Up to ten will be awarded. Essay is 500 words on picking a major.

Write "whichever one gives you the best GPA for your law school applications". :)

Good luck with the Deans Scholarship.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:54 pm

johndh wrote:Don't the published stats come from the matriculated students? In that case more people could be admitted above the median than below as more of those admitted above would be likely to go elsewhere.

this is correct. there is a greater percentage of acceptances way above median stats than there are closer to or at median stats. since those with close to median stats are less likely to get into higher schools and are more likely to attend.

hv1

Postby hv1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:54 pm

aetennis17 wrote:EAC 10/20 and no DR.

164/3.97

Low LSAT- feeling pretty doomed :/

did you write a why cornell essay?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

jks289 wrote:
hv1 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
SanBun wrote:I am EAC 11/16 and I have a suspicion they are moving chronologically, which is why I don't expect anything for at least another week and you guys are probably in a similar situation

I'm EAC as of 10/28. But come to think of it, I submitted a couple of addenda about a week or so later, which were added to my file. Do you think that perhaps this moved my effective complete date back some? (Obviously, I'm not going to call to ask about this as the lady with the sultry voice will probably just hang up!) :(

-HL

Did you write a Why Cornell essay?

I had a last minute change as well (new academic summary report). Though no one 11/13 has heard anything yet. I thought the Dean said "Why Cornell" was not a good idea.

Yeah that probably delayed your app
Also, the dean said the following about Cornell specific PS
How do you view personal statements that briefly mention Cornell Law, but could be sent to other schools with a few adjustments?

I don’t have a set view on it. If it’s a good personal statement, it will be good regardless of whether it mentions our law school. The same would be true if it’s a bad personal statement.

I've said this like a million times, but I'll say it again: They don't care either way about whether you mention them in the PS. The OPTIONAL CORNELL ESSAY, however, is a completely different story. There are no TLS interview questions with regards to that, but basic common sense tells me if the have two short questions regarding your desire to attend Cornell AND allow you to write and additional essay, they certainly want to give you a chance to express your interest in Cornell and therefore don't mind you doing so, but very likely appreciate it if it's done sincerely and convincingly

hv1

Postby hv1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:59 pm

SanBun wrote:
jks289 wrote:
hv1 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Did you write a Why Cornell essay?

I had a last minute change as well (new academic summary report). Though no one 11/13 has heard anything yet. I thought the Dean said "Why Cornell" was not a good idea.

How do you view personal statements that briefly mention Cornell Law, but could be sent to other schools with a few adjustments?

I don’t have a set view on it. If it’s a good personal statement, it will be good regardless of whether it mentions our law school. The same would be true if it’s a bad personal statement.

I've said this like a million times, but I'll say it again: They don't care either way about whether you mention them in the PS. The OPTIONAL CORNELL ESSAY, however, is a completely different story. There are no TLS interview questions with regards to that, but basic common sense tells me if the have two short questions regarding your desire to attend Cornell AND allow you to write and additional essay, they certainly want to give you a chance to express your interest in Cornell and therefore don't mind you doing so, but very likely appreciate it if it's done sincerely and convincingly

+1 on "if it's done sincerely and convincingly"

hv1

Postby hv1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 pm

what if they do another round for 12/9 (updated on 12/12), but you can't call until monday?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:02 pm

hv1 wrote:what if they do another round for 12/9 (updated on 12/12), but you can't call until monday?

Then my wife will be in for a very stress ridden weekend as I wait until 8am Monday.

dlf9210

Postby dlf9210 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
hv1 wrote:what if they do another round for 12/9 (updated on 12/12), but you can't call until monday?

Then my [strike]wife[/strike] mom will be in for a very stress ridden weekend as I wait until 8am Monday.

+1

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 pm

I've said this like a million times, but I'll say it again: They don't care either way about whether you mention them in the PS. The OPTIONAL CORNELL ESSAY, however, is a completely different story. There are no TLS interview questions with regards to that, but basic common sense tells me if the have two short questions regarding your desire to attend Cornell AND allow you to write and additional essay, they certainly want to give you a chance to express your interest in Cornell and therefore don't mind you doing so, but very likely appreciate it if it's done sincerely and convincingly[/quote][/quote]

+1 on "if it's done sincerely and convincingly"[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean by the optional Cornell essay. The diversity statement? I reread my application and didn't see a prompt. Dean Geiger specifically says " A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential." That is a pretty clear statement. True he is talking about PS, but why wouldn't that sentiment hold for the entire application? Essentially he says "We don't really care why you want to go here."

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:11 pm

jks289 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by the optional Cornell essay. The diversity statement? I reread my application and didn't see a prompt. Dean Geiger specifically says " A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential." That is a pretty clear statement. True he is talking about PS, but why wouldn't that sentiment hold for the entire application? Essentially he says "We don't really care why you want to go here."

oh yeah you're right, i just assumed people were referring to a prompt for an additional cornell specific essay- answering those two questions though, i'm sure, should be beneficial

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Still at EAC 10/29. I'm feeling doomed as well. Already got rejected from G-Town and couldn't even manage to get into Fordham (167, 3.5x URM btw) so I see no reason why Cornell would accept me either. Oh well. Guess I shouldn't kill myself waiting and pressing the refresh button on the Cornell status check.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 pm

SanBun wrote:
jks289 wrote:

oh yeah you're right, i just assumed people were referring to a prompt for an additional cornell specific essay- answering those two questions though, i'm sure, should be beneficial

I don't think writing one hurts anywhere but Harvard (they say to not do one). I can see wanting to write it if you were worried about YP, even though Cornell isn't known for the practice. But in terms of strengthening a borderline, I just doubt it helps. Interesting that Cornell doesn't have ED, makes me think yield is not one of their priorities.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm

dakatz wrote:Still at EAC 10/29. I'm feeling doomed as well. Already got rejected from G-Town and couldn't even manage to get into Fordham (167, 3.5x URM btw) so I see no reason why Cornell would accept me either. Oh well. Guess I shouldn't kill myself waiting and pressing the refresh button on the Cornell status check.

You are fine. Your numbers are solid, and with the URM boost you will be in somewhere great. I think lots of URM have to wait until later in the cycle for whatever reason.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Has anyone who is not EA gone complete yet?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:30 pm

Oli wrote:Has anyone who is not EA gone complete yet?

+1. I am still at "applied" from 11/17. (But I also don't even know why I keep reading this thread- there's no way I'm getting in to Cornell. I even wrote a poem about it a couple of days ago!)

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

checked and DR 12/08. Should I call?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:38 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:checked and DR 12/08. Should I call?

Yes

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”