Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jks289

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 pm

hv1 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
SanBun wrote:I am EAC 11/16 and I have a suspicion they are moving chronologically, which is why I don't expect anything for at least another week and you guys are probably in a similar situation

I'm EAC as of 10/28. But come to think of it, I submitted a couple of addenda about a week or so later, which were added to my file. Do you think that perhaps this moved my effective complete date back some? (Obviously, I'm not going to call to ask about this as the lady with the sultry voice will probably just hang up!) :(

-HL

Did you write a Why Cornell essay?

I had a last minute change as well (new academic summary report). Though no one 11/13 has heard anything yet. I thought the Dean said "Why Cornell" was not a good idea.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 pm

hv1 wrote:
Did you write a Why Cornell essay?

Nope. I wrote the 3 liner, but that's it. I was under the impression that Cornell didn't appreciate Why Cornells that much.

-HL

daniel5215

Postby daniel5215 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Apple Tree wrote:My status changed to Decision and the date is 12/08.

I'm very tempted to call them but their website said to wait 10-14 days. Would they be irritated if I call them and ask about my decision over the phone?

no. they'd be delighted to inform you that you are IN.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm very tempted to call them but their website said to wait 10-14 days. Would they be irritated if I call them and ask about my decision over the phone?

Every person on this thread called the day of. Looks like an acceptance batch. Call!!!

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Not at all. Call! It's what all the cool kids are doing.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

cougarlive wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:
wired wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Congrats to those who got in!

Still EAC 11/04

Another BYU student who is EAC, 11/03.

BYU student, EAC 10/7, just called and I am in!

Congrats! Did you go to Decision Rendered before you called?

Sorry for the confusion, that was a horrible way to write that. I did go DR 12/08.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

jks289 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Doesn't look like they admitted a single 167 applicant (per the data on LSN). But seeing as that was their median last year, I doubt that they won't at least tap into some qualified applicants in that range with that score. So I'm not giving up yet just because I have a late October date that is still at EAC (though I feel like I should).

LSN is worthless. Just look at the spread of last years Cornell graph. Median 167 means just as many green on either side of the line, but it is heavily weighted to higher. And median GPA 3.6 means as much green above as below, but again there is like a 3 or 4 to one ratio.

People on LSN are self selected and tends to lean towards the higher scores. Same applies to this forum. You see so many people with high scores but in real life less than 10% can actually score in that range, but it almost seems if half the people on here have those scores.

But the competition this year seems to be the toughest ever. The increase in apps + competition is at one the highest level ever. With that said I have just received a rejection from cornell in the 12/8 DR. My stats are 3.1/168. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

I just realized I left my cell phone at home. AHHH! I'm going home to call them. Will report back later.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

MrsTrucker: I hate to poop on the theory of chronological order of acceptances, but my husband's application was complete EA 10/13, and still sitting at EAC :(

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jks289 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Doesn't look like they admitted a single 167 applicant (per the data on LSN). But seeing as that was their median last year, I doubt that they won't at least tap into some qualified applicants in that range with that score. So I'm not giving up yet just because I have a late October date that is still at EAC (though I feel like I should).

LSN is worthless. Just look at the spread of last years Cornell graph. Median 167 means just as many green on either side of the line, but it is heavily weighted to higher. And median GPA 3.6 means as much green above as below, but again there is like a 3 or 4 to one ratio.

People on LSN are self selected and tends to lean towards the higher scores. Same applies to this forum. You see so many people with high scores but in real life less than 10% can actually score in that range, but it almost seems if half the people on here have those scores.

But the competition this year seems to be the toughest ever. The increase in apps + competition is at one the highest level ever. With that said I have just received a rejection from cornell in the 12/8 DR. My stats are 3.1/168. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Sorry to hear that, dude. I'm sure your solid LSAT will get you in a bunch of places.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I'm excited but a little uneasy at the same time. I would love to go to Cornell but I'd have to pay entirely in loans. That comes out to 1700 a month for 10 years... Indentured servitude. I don't think I'm being offered the opportunity to apply for the dean's scholarship, and although my family income is high they cannot contribute, but I certainly won't qualify for need based aid. How does anyone take out 150k in loans?!

hv1

Postby hv1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:08 pm

looks like rejections are still coming out, so it's a mixed batch

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:08 pm

jks289 wrote:

Median doesn't quite that 50% should be below - if you have all 168's, the median is 168. It just mean it's the mid-mark. So truly there could be a very low percentage below the median and still have the median as it is.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm

js87 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I'm excited but a little uneasy at the same time. I would love to go to Cornell but I'd have to pay entirely in loans. That comes out to 1700 a month for 10 years... Indentured servitude. I don't think I'm being offered the opportunity to apply for the dean's scholarship, and although my family income is high they cannot contribute, but I certainly won't qualify for need based aid. How does anyone take out 150k in loans?!

Yeah, even if I somehow manage to get in, I don't see how I could afford to go to Cornell. The tuition is some insane number around 48K, and with living expenses probably comes in over 60K. That would create for crushing debt for years. But it would still be nice to at least have the option on the table, whether or not I would be able to accept it.

dlf9210

Postby dlf9210 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm

js87 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I'm excited but a little uneasy at the same time. I would love to go to Cornell but I'd have to pay entirely in loans. That comes out to 1700 a month for 10 years... Indentured servitude. I don't think I'm being offered the opportunity to apply for the dean's scholarship, and although my family income is high they cannot contribute, but I certainly won't qualify for need based aid. How does anyone take out 150k in loans?!

That's what GraduatePlus loans are for.

dlf9210

Postby dlf9210 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 pm

ruleser wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Median doesn't quite that 50% should be below - if you have all 168's, the median is 168. It just mean it's the mid-mark. So truly there could be a very low percentage below the median and still have the median as it is.

Yes, we must differentiate between "mean" and "median."

wired

Postby wired » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 pm

TruckerD wrote:MrsTrucker: I hate to poop on the theory of chronological order of acceptances, but my husband's application was complete EA 10/13, and still sitting at EAC :(

And I will point it out - Mr. Trucker has great numbers, near autoadmit for Cornell.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 pm

dakatz wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, dude. I'm sure your solid LSAT will get you in a bunch of places.

thanks but i'm already rejected by 4 law schools and waitlisted at 1. Accepted by none. its not looking good at all...

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:15 pm

ruleser wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Yes, (my fault, poorly stated) but then there would be large number of 168s, right? And there are very few. The LSN median looks to be 169, maybe 170. So I think the logic holds.

Edited to add, median still means every green above median has to be offset by a green below median. So considering the 167s (the Cornell median) a wash, isn't it still skewed. Is my understanding of math wrong here?
Last edited by jks289 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:15 pm

finalaspects wrote:
thanks but i'm already rejected by 4 law schools and waitlisted at 1. Accepted by none. its not looking good at all...

have you applied to WUSTL? with a 168 you'd be solid there.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:18 pm

najumobi wrote:have you applied to WUSTL? with a 168 you'd be solid there.

No, but I want to end up in CA in the end, and i figured that Davis or Hastings will give me a better shot in CA then WUSTL. I also applied to Notre Dame, which has a national presence and is known more in CA then WUSTL even though its lower ranked.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:19 pm

finalaspects wrote:

No, but I want to end up in CA in the end, and i figured that Davis or Hastings will give me a better shot in CA then WUSTL. I also applied to Notre Dame, which has a national presence and is known more in CA then WUSTL even though its lower ranked.

You're a virtual lock at both those schools and since you're ending up in CA, they are great options. Sorry to hear about Cornell. Good luck!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 pm

finalaspects wrote:

I just checked out your LSN, and it looks like you will still end up with options. The big guns have already made decisions (well, Fordham isn't really a big gun, but they're whacko this cycle) but you still have a really great shot at a lot of the schools on your list! It sucks to be hammered with rejections right at the beginning of your cycle though. Good luck, and don't worry! :D

dudester

Postby dudester » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 pm

jks289 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Yes, (my fault, poorly stated) but then there would be large number of 168s, right? And there are very few. The LSN median looks to be 169, maybe 170. So I think the logic holds.

Edited to add, median still means every green above median has to be offset by a green below median. So considering the 167s (the Cornell median) a wash, isn't it still skewed. Is my understanding of math wrong here?

Simply put, the median is the data point that divides the population in half (the middle value). That's it...nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't tell you anything about data distribution. A 168 median could come from: 167 167 168 169 169; 120 120 168 180 180; etc.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Come on people, wake up and check your Cornell decision, I want to see who else does not have the accepted students link...

I'm 12/8 Decision without student link. It also appears that the 12/7 admits did not have the student link either, or at least not a single person mentioned it, but some 12/8 admits did mention they had the link. My guess is that the 12/7 12/8 cycle is the same cycle, just depends on when the system was updated. The only rejections I heard for December were from the 12/4 cycle. Thoughts?

I think we've established already that this isn't true. 12/8 is clearly a mixed bag of acceptances and rejections. Anyone who checked their status checker before 8 am EST and had the admitted students link is in; anyone who checked before 8 and didn't have that link is rejected. Those who didn't check til after 8 am EST won't know unless they call.

This still doesn't explain Cornell's strange deferring practices from a couple weeks ago.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”