Cornell waiting room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calicocat

Silver

Re: Cornell waiting room

Post by calicocat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Does Cornell always request interviews before accepting?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Oli wrote:Does Cornell always request interviews before accepting?
No. Rarely in fact.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Thank god I hate interviews

march319

New

Post by march319 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:45 pm

wackjickham wrote:Got my fee waiver back in the mail today. It's nice to get a check for $80 in the mail, even if its $80 I already spent.
Nice. I'm still waiting on mine. When did you send out your request for the fee waiver?

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 pm

,km./
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 pm

babin.6 wrote:Hey I just got a "we strongly urge you to apply" letter, but no fee waiver. My numbers are above the 75% but not a lot above. What does this mean? Why no fee wavier?
Maybe you got a hidden one? I think everyone who got the package in the mail also got a fee waiver.

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 pm

.lm
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 pm

babin.6 wrote:Hey I just got a "we strongly urge you to apply" letter, but no fee waiver. My numbers are above the 75% but not a lot above. What does this mean? Why no fee wavier?
I got the same package - but I had already applied with an LSAC fee waiver, so I can't answer the question. But I'm curious - anyone know?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:19 pm

babin.6 wrote:What's a hidden one. When I go to check out it asks for a Fee Waiver code or asks me to pay. How do I know if its hidden? Where was the fee waiver code in the package? Maybe I missed it. Was it somewhere besides the letter?
I actually hadn't read the letter until now! It doesn't include the code but says I should email them if I'd like to apply and they'll waive the fee on LSAC. I don't know why they have this arrangement instead of just automatically waive the fee on LSAC. Alternatively I can apply and pay, then mail them the letter they sent me to get back the application fee.

Edit: the letter says: "we're waiving your application fee. Why not give us a try?" :) I actually liked their application package.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah, I got the package without a fee waiver. It didn't say "We're waving your application. Why not give us a try?" or anything like that. Oh well - I ended up getting an LSAC fee waiver anyway. But I wonder why Cornell didn't deem me worthy...

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:36 pm

sharthree wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
sharthree wrote:Also, if you are at decision on your status checker here, you are likely to be getting the interview request too. Just checked mine. Decision.
Holy crap! Does it just say "decision"?
Yep...I hope they aren't like just trying to have me call so they can say "congrats" and I can sob. Cause I'm calling them from my office on Monday; and that would be awkward.
Hmmm could the interview also be for scholarship purposes?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Anybody know how many people they hold over from EA to RD? I know someone somewhere on this board said they do it to pretty much everybody that's not auto-admit; that data isn't reflected on LSN so I wonder if anyone's heard anything about it.

I got accepted through ND's weird ED/EA program and have to take it or leave it by Jan. 29th, so I really hope Cornell has a decision for me by then, even if it's a rejection (hey, it's better than never knowing what might have been...)

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:45 pm

good luck everyone! hope to see some (all?) of you join us next year!!
if you have any questions.. shoot me a PM.. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:50 pm

flcath wrote:Anybody know how many people they hold over from EA to RD? I know someone somewhere on this board said they do it to pretty much everybody that's not auto-admit; that data isn't reflected on LSN so I wonder if anyone's heard anything about it.

I got accepted through ND's weird ED/EA program and have to take it or leave it by Jan. 29th, so I really hope Cornell has a decision for me by then, even if it's a rejection (hey, it's better than never knowing what might have been...)
so for ND once you accept their offer (by Jan 29th) you have to immediately withdraw from other schools?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 pm

najumobi wrote:
flcath wrote:Anybody know how many people they hold over from EA to RD? I know someone somewhere on this board said they do it to pretty much everybody that's not auto-admit; that data isn't reflected on LSN so I wonder if anyone's heard anything about it.

so for ND once you accept their offer (by Jan 29th) you have to immediately withdraw from other schools?
Yeah, it's Busch League. Just like everything else about Notre Dame (the entire university, not the law school specifically).

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 pm

crackberry wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Yeah, it's Busch League. Just like everything else about Notre Dame (the entire university, not the law school specifically).
oh wow...that sucks then....
flcath, if cornell defers you would you really consider not taking ND's offer?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 pm

crackberry wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Flagrant anti-Catholic trolling.

Seriously, though, it's a weird program. I guess if you look at it as a pure ED program--but without the abandonment of scholarship leverage--it's okay. But I applied with more the EA mindset, so now the deadline is kind of a hassle. I mean, if no higher ranked school has accepted me by 1/29, I pretty much have to go to ND or risk being stuck attending somewhere inferior. Thus is why I pray for a Cornell Christmas!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:25 pm

najumobi wrote:
crackberry wrote:
najumobi wrote:

oh wow...that sucks then....
flcath, if cornell defers you would you really consider not taking ND's offer?
No, that's why I'd rather Cornell reject me before 1/29 than remain undecided on me until said date--in the latter circumstance I end up going to ND, never knowing if I would've gotten into Cornell. I'm like a chick in this regard: I need closure.

The nice thing is that if *any* better school bites before 1/29 (Vandy, G'town, I'm thinking even Emory w/ $$$), then it frees me up to turn down the ND offer and wait out multiple decisions/WLs, as the case may be.

All that having been said, I'd ultimately be happy to attend ND--obviously, or I'd let their offer pass.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm

flcath wrote:
crackberry wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Haha you know what's funny about this comment is that some Notre Dame fans are delusional enough to think this is true. I was at a bar in LA during the Michigan-ND game earlier this year, and when my buddy and I starting rooting loudly for UM (due to shared visceral hatred of Notre Dame of course), a ND fan approached us and said - in what I can only assume was complete seriousness because she talked so quietly and wasn't smiling - that by rooting against ND, we were rooting against God.

Incredible stuff - and exactly why I get such joy when ND sucks so much at football. They get blue chip recruits every year, they get so much damn undeserved coverage and hype, they have that absurd deal with NBC and yet they are AWFUL. Haven't they not won a game vs. a top 60 team in 3 years? That's amazing for a school with their history and recruiting power.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:47 pm

crackberry wrote: Haha you know what's funny about this comment is that some Notre Dame fans are delusional enough to think this is true. I was at a bar in LA during the Michigan-ND game earlier this year, and when my buddy and I starting rooting loudly for UM (due to shared visceral hatred of Notre Dame of course), a ND fan approached us and said - in what I can only assume was complete seriousness because she talked so quietly and wasn't smiling - that by rooting against ND, we were rooting against God.

Incredible stuff - and exactly why I get such joy when ND sucks so much at football. They get blue chip recruits every year, they get so much damn undeserved coverage and hype, they have that absurd deal with NBC and yet they are AWFUL. Haven't they not won a game vs. a top 60 team in 3 years? That's amazing for a school with their history and recruiting power.
Well the FB team sees that winning in the eyes of God is more than winning a football game. Maybe someone needs to go to church!!!! :roll:
(j/k!)

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 pm

Does anyone know if Cornell considers us for scholarships at the same time they consider us for admission? In other words, if we were to a receive a merit scholarship, would it come with the admissions letter?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 pm

js87 wrote:Does anyone know if Cornell considers us for scholarships at the same time they consider us for admission? In other words, if we were to a receive a merit scholarship, would it come with the admissions letter?
A cursory glance at LSN for last year indicated that people accepted via ED who got scholarship offers were notified of them in March. This was just a really quick check so hopefully someone from last year can fill us on on how it actually works.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:00 am

crackberry wrote:
flcath wrote:
crackberry wrote:
najumobi wrote: so for ND once you accept their offer (by Jan 29th) you have to immediately withdraw from other schools?
Haha you know what's funny about this comment is that some Notre Dame fans are delusional enough to think this is true. I was at a bar in LA during the Michigan-ND game earlier this year, and when my buddy and I starting rooting loudly for UM (due to shared visceral hatred of Notre Dame of course), a ND fan approached us and said - in what I can only assume was complete seriousness because she talked so quietly and wasn't smiling - that by rooting against ND, we were rooting against God.

Hahahaha.

That story makes me really want to go to Notre Dame. You know, I'm down in Florida where--despite the fact that UF is about to have 3 National Titles in a span of 4 years--fans are STILL scared shitless that Urban Meyer is gonna pack up and head for South Bend!!! Do you realize how crazy that is?!?! ND's "short list" to replace Weiss has people like Meyer, Saban, Stoops, Gruden, et al.... Even GOOD teams aren't in that kind of a position with head coaches.

Notre Dame is the New York Yankees of College Football: they have more money than God (or, more accurately, God and ND have a joint bank account) to buy anyone they want, and they both have that mystique that causes people to just *want* to go there regardless of practical factors.

Oh yeah: you gotta love how EVERY TIME (seriously, I think there might be a secret ND/ESPN contract about this) a sportscaster talks about ND's football woes over the past decade, they make some comment about ND's academics being too good to have a a top football team.

I'm an SEC fan myself (it's the only real football), but I can definitely see how people can get pissed at ND's "too good for the Big 10", NBC contract-entitled attitude.

Edit: You were, however, rooting against God.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:11 am

babin.6 wrote:What's a hidden one. When I go to check out it asks for a Fee Waiver code or asks me to pay. How do I know if its hidden? Where was the fee waiver code in the package? Maybe I missed it. Was it somewhere besides the letter?
Sometimes school waive your app fee w/o notifying you and once you're in the checkout process you can see the fee is waived but if it's asking you for a code you probably don't have a hidden waiver. Alternatively you can write them and ask for one. With your numbers I think they should give you one.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:46 am

Status just updated. Decision as of 11/20.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”