Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:50 am

tram988 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:EA Complete as of 10/5 and no decision for me. They do give out decisions over the phone though.

Exactly thats what I've been trying to tell my good buddy robin

Sorry, maybe they changed the policy this year? IDK trying to find hope

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:I think you guys are just collectively driving each other insane.

But you enjoy it.. you masochists. Don't worry. I'm one too.

--ImageRemoved--

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

robin600 wrote:
tram988 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:EA Complete as of 10/5 and no decision for me. They do give out decisions over the phone though.

People called in last wave and were told they were deferred. Other people should try to call in who went DR

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53 am

Yeah Robin you should just give them a call. A decision has been made so don't worry if you upset someone (though you wont)

I'm curious to see if someone is told of a waitlist/acceptance

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:55 am

I like those shoes, but I'm not a fan of kool-aid.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

johndh wrote:anyone else having trouble getting on the Cornell website?

I cannot get on either.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:

I cannot get on either.

Bastards! can't get on either! someone give me the number and I will call.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:59 am

robin600 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:

I cannot get on either.

1-607-255-5141

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:59 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:I like those shoes, but I'm not a fan of kool-aid.

lol well you aren't catching the comet then

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:03 am

Just called and they said they can't give decisions over the phone. I asked, no pause to check, and she said that they can't give them over the phone until a week later. WTF?!?!?

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 am

sharthree wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Jacques wrote:Went complete earlier than these folks, but no DR. Numbers are a bit higher than theirs, but far from an auto-admit.

I think we might be seeing the first real decisions of the year here -- the initial mass deferral may have taken place because Cornell wanted to get an idea of the applicant pool before opening their gates. Now, having reviewed 800 or so applications to date, they have an idea of the market.

I hate to say this, but those folks who applied EA in early September may end up getting the short end of the stick -- and they'll get it because they were too early.

How does this make any sense?

Agreed...how can something be too early? We know that they review on a semi-linear pattern. First come, first serve etc.

It's just a theory that I've heard bandied around (and not one that I subscribe to, by the way).

For what it's worth, here goes. The theory dictates that it's explained by the mass deferral. Let's say you're Cornell. You want to protect your ranking, maybe move up. At the least, bump a median or two. With your small class size, this is certainly a possibility.

Reports come into the school that this is one of the largest LSAT administrations in 10 years. Now yes, everyone knows that that doesn't necessarily translate to "quality" LSAT scores. That being said, a more flexible LSAT retake policy (as we've seen in recent years), and, in general, larger numbers of test takers do, generally, point to a glut of higher scores. If you're going to have your pick of the litter, this is the year to do it.

It becomes time to start receiving applications. As always, you have your EA program. You've always followed the same patterns, always had a nice mix of acceptances/WL/rejections. You have to get answers back by December 31st. But, does your hunch play out? Will there be a higher proportion of higher numbers? To be safe, you defer the first 500-800 or so applications that you see (which is exactly what happened). After having done so, you have a good sample, a good idea of the market, of how the numbers will shake out.

From here, you can make actual decisions on the rest of the EA folks. If you were in that first batch, that early EA batch, you have been, in fact, too early.

---------

Of course, I think all this number theorizing is absurd -- with a class size as small as Cornell's, there's no way that they can go purely on numbers. If they really wanted a class full of 173s or 174s, they could have it. That's clearly not their goal. They, more than anyone else, seem to take a truly holistic view of things, and thank goodness for that. Why the mass deferral, then? Who knows. We'll all get decisions, eventually -- and we should be happy with that.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 am

Helmholtz wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I am also sorry to be one of the first to say it, but I dont know if there will be any acceptances this go around. Total speculation on my part though.

+1

Would not surprise me at all.

You guys are a bunch of dicks, Cornell.

A little decorum, please.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

robin600 wrote:Just called and they said they can't give decisions over the phone. I asked, no pause to check, and she said that they can't give them over the phone until a week later. WTF?!?!?

I'm glad they said this to you. It gives me more hope!

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

robin600 wrote:Just called and they said they can't give decisions over the phone. I asked, no pause to check, and she said that they can't give them over the phone until a week later. WTF?!?!?

They're icing you.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

robin600 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:

I cannot get on either.

Not working for me either.

HJO

Postby HJO » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:

I cannot get on either.

Not working for me either.

+1

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
tram988 wrote:

People called in last wave and were told they were deferred. Other people should try to call in who went DR

robin600 wrote:
Just called and they said they can't give decisions over the phone. I asked, no pause to check, and she said that they can't give them over the phone until a week later. WTF?!?!?

Wait, you mean, they won't give decisions over the phone when they explicitly ask you not to call them until 10-14 days after the DR rate? What a shock! :roll:

Even Helmholtz waited the week and a half, as well the rest of you should. Knowing now, or knowing in two weeks, either way, isn't going to make a huge difference. Chill out.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am

I can't navigate to the home page from google, but my status checker works and I have access to the rest of the site from there.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:

They're icing you.

Fucking awesome, two rejections in a row, let me go crawl into a hole and die now....

PS- I'm thinking they give defferals over the phone because they aren't decisions.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:11 am

Jacques wrote:
sharthree wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Jacques wrote:Went complete earlier than these folks, but no DR. Numbers are a bit higher than theirs, but far from an auto-admit.

I think we might be seeing the first real decisions of the year here -- the initial mass deferral may have taken place because Cornell wanted to get an idea of the applicant pool before opening their gates. Now, having reviewed 800 or so applications to date, they have an idea of the market.

I hate to say this, but those folks who applied EA in early September may end up getting the short end of the stick -- and they'll get it because they were too early.

How does this make any sense?

Agreed...how can something be too early? We know that they review on a semi-linear pattern. First come, first serve etc.

LONG THEORY

Something that I see wrong with just saying people who applied early got deferred is that it seemed as though people who applied at all random times got deferred in the first go around. Some people who applied very early, like myself, have still not heard.

I dont think applying early put anyone at a disadvantage. Either they are actually going for higher numbers this year than previous or maybe they just had so much that they deferred ones who they weren't sure about and will end up accepting a lot of them when they realize they are still Cornell and cant pull most kids from other T14's (that is unless they start throwing more money around than in the past)

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

LONG DISCUSSION

Something that I see wrong with just saying people who applied early got deferred is that it seemed as though people who applied at all random times got deferred in the first go around. Some people who applied very early, like myself, have still not heard.

I dont think applying early put anyone at a disadvantage. Either they are actually going for higher numbers this year than previous or maybe they just had so much that they deferred ones who they weren't sure about and will end up accepting a lot of them when they realize they are still Cornell and cant pull most kids from other T14's (that is unless they start throwing more money around than in the past)

Eh, fair enough. Like I said, a theory is just a theory. I think there are plenty of holes in it. You not having any decision is, clearly, a large one.

Like I said, we'll all see eventually.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 am

Again, never thought I be happy to still be EA complete 10/6.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 am

Still at EA Complete 11/11 here. Fun times.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:23 am

That's weird because the guy I interviewed with explicitly said it is Cornell's policy to give decisions over the phone. I called couple fo days after the interview and the lady said a decision had not been made but I coudl call back in a few days to get it.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:27 am

EA Complete since 10/1/2009!!!!! I guess so far no news is good news.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”