Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Helmholtz

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm

NayBoer wrote:A bunch of people, some of them in this thread, clearly don't consider Cornell a top choice. They are going off to Michigan or Chicago or wherever, and I don't blame a school as tiny as Cornell for deferring them. Maybe it's YP for USNWR purposes, but maybe it's also trying to admit people who will actually be likely to come.

Obviously this doesn't explain a lot of the people deferred, who are pretty square on the numbers. But the number of people for whom Cornell is not even worth banging out a quick LOCI shows that some of the deferrals were a good idea.

I saw Cornell as a safety, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to go. With my numbers, CCN are sort of reaches, who knows how MVP is going to go, Duke loves GPA's, NU loves work experience, etc. I can realistically see a situation where I end up at Cornell and I'm perfectly fine with that, it's a great school. It kind of sucks to have that option off the table at this point, though. I'll be hammering out an LOCI and sending another LOR, but I applied EA for a reason: I wanted to hear of a decision before the end of December. If I knew they were just going to defer me, i.e. decide not to decide, I would have waited and maybe polished up my app a little more (not that it wasn't in good shape to start off with).

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:37 pm

NayBoer wrote:A bunch of people, some of them in this thread, clearly don't consider Cornell a top choice. They are going off to Michigan or Chicago or wherever, and I don't blame a school as tiny as Cornell for deferring them. Maybe it's YP for USNWR purposes, but maybe it's also trying to admit people who will actually be likely to come.

Obviously this doesn't explain a lot of the people deferred, who are pretty square on the numbers. But the number of people for whom Cornell is not even worth banging out a quick LOCI shows that some of the deferrals were a good idea.

Exactly. In fact, some have done exactly what Cornell expected, withdrawn their application after being deferred. I think this process is good news for those who actually want to attend Cornell--as it will weed out those who consider it a backup.

Now, for those of you (which, might very well include me once they get around to making a decision on my EA app) who were deferred and actually want to attend Cornell, hang in there and show Cornell why they should admit you (through LOCIs, LORs, a VISIT if possible). It will soon become apparent to them which applicants are actually serious about attending.

In a sense, they are letting the applicants weed themselves out.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:I think they have made decisions already for a lot of us, but that they are waiting for some arbitrary date to release the first wave. If I were to make predictions, which I never do (looks around for bloody thirsty Berkeley people), the first wave is being delayed by an increase in apps, so maybe next week.

I am not including the deferral wave as the first wave only because it is so odd that I have no idea what to think of it.

Careful now....

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Ok, have my LOCI structured, time to flesh it out. How long?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Ok, have my LOCI structured, time to flesh it out. How long?

Aren't they normally a page?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm

I do know that their deferral of all of us had an impact on some people. There are a few people per LSN and people I know that withdrew after getting the deferral. So from Cornell's perspective they just saved a few acceptances who didn't really care to go anyway and improved their yield.

On the other hand I applied EA for a reason - why defer everyone? I would rather just know no matter what the decision was then have to wait (Cornell is a reach for me).

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, but just wanted to make sure. I'm also including an adorable kitten that I've trained to meow my lsac number in morse code.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, but just wanted to make sure. I'm also including an adorable kitten that I've trained to meow my lsac number in morse code.

Thats a fantastic idea

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Make sure to add air holes. Sending a dead kitten with your LOCI sends a very different message from an adorable kitten.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:52 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Make sure to add air holes. Sending a dead kitten with your LOCI sends a very different message from an adorable kitten.

What if you send one of THEIR dead kittens....surely this sends the right message?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Oli wrote:What if you send one of THEIR dead kittens....surely this sends the right message?

à la:

--ImageRemoved--

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Oli wrote:What if you send one of THEIR dead kittens....surely this sends the right message?

à la:

--ImageRemoved--

HAHAHA thats exactly what I was thinking of!!!!!

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I saw Cornell as a safety, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to go. With my numbers, CCN are sort of reaches, who knows how MVP is going to go, Duke loves GPA's, NU loves work experience, etc. I can realistically see a situation where I end up at Cornell and I'm perfectly fine with that, it's a great school. It kind of sucks to have that option off the table at this point, though. I'll be hammering out an LOCI and sending another LOR, but I applied EA for a reason: I wanted to hear of a decision before the end of December. If I knew they were just going to defer me, i.e. decide not to decide, I would have waited and maybe polished up my app a little more (not that it wasn't in good shape to start off with).

+1
I don't know if I saw Cornell as a safety, but I did feel pretty good about my chances... and I actually was very interested in the school.

I'm still interested, and am going to continue to pursue admission (barring NYU ED), but it is pretty frustrating getting pushed back until Feb.

Consigliere

Postby Consigliere » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Oli wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

à la:

--ImageRemoved--

You guys need me to wack somebody, or just make them an offer they can't refuse?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Oli wrote:
What if you send one of THEIR dead kittens....surely this sends the right message?

This would make it significantly harder for the kitten to meow my number.

Remember Cornell, women are more dangerous than shotguns.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I didn't mean you. You're writing a LOCI. I meant avacado (who withdrew entirely) and crackberry (who also won't wait). They are already in at better schools, and Cornell isn't worth it to them.

You have the numbers to go to a higher ranked school. I'm not shocked that Cornell is wary of you and might want to see more interest. Though I agree it's a little annoying to have an EA option and then duck out of it for a large chunk of students. Defeats the purpose.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Oli wrote:

This would make it significantly harder for the kitten to meow my number.

Remember Cornell, women are more dangerous than shotguns.

Just get one of those recording devices they use at Build A Bear, and prerecord the meowing. Then when they pick it up, the device will meow.

I just realized that I am a horrible person.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Ok, but why a massive wave of deferrals? Why not waitlist people? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient way to communicate their intent?
A deferral is more positive than a waitlist and less likely to scare people off, maybe. My understanding is that the deferral letter actually requests LOCI. I think it's clearer than a waitlist, because it says that the door is open and the applicant has the chance to submit more.

All just a theory, though.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Padimud wrote:I do know that their deferral of all of us had an impact on some people. There are a few people per LSN and people I know that withdrew after getting the deferral. So from Cornell's perspective they just saved a few acceptances who didn't really care to go anyway and improved their yield.

On the other hand I applied EA for a reason - why defer everyone? I would rather just know no matter what the decision was then have to wait (Cornell is a reach for me).

First off, like your tar. :)

I think the deferrals are ESPECIALLY beneficial to those for whom Cornell is a reach--people like you and I. I am in the same boat (well, only my boat is smaller as your numbers are stronger), Cornell is a huge reach--but because this is the case, I would rather them let me in in April than deny me in December. It gives me time to demonstrate my sincere interest in attending Cornell. In fact, the more flexible you are the better chances you have of getting in.

Anyway, I hope people don't misunderstand me. I would prefer a decision rather than a deferral as much as the next person (having been put on "reserve" and a summer wait list, I can sympathize)--but, I would also rather be deferred than denied.

P.S. If you want to talk to a few BYU undergrads who are at Cornell feel free to PM me.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Oli wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

à la:

--ImageRemoved--

You guys need me to wack somebody, or just make them an offer they can't refuse?

Ah Consigliere...we may need you soon

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Ok, anyone willing to read my LOCI?

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 pm

did anyone else allow themselves to become convinced that today would be the day more status checkers went from EA complete to DR? feeling like it's not going to happen now.

what time of day did the status checkers change in the last round?

roxj

Postby roxj » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:45 pm

I just called admissions because I wasn't sure if I made the EA deadline or not (my status changed to complete on 11/17). I did make EA, and she told me I was currently in committee and estimated a decision by the end of the month. So for those who went complete around 11/14-11/16, sounds like it's going to be a few more weeks.

And the person who answered the phone was super nice, as several people have mentioned.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:48 pm

What about early Nov complete ppl?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”