Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goosey

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 am

cougarlive wrote:
goosey wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
goosey wrote:quick update that I thought would calm some nerves in here:

I was told theyre not even through with EA applicants yet and that they plan on being done with them by the end of this month (before leaving on break) and that the first day back from break is when they will start looking at RD apps. I was told that there arent many complete apps and that mine will prob be in the handful of apps that get decisions on that first day back--I missed the EA deadline by a few days.

Who did you talk to??

the lady that picked up the phone in admissions

Gotcha. I missed the part where you called admissions.

Does anyone know when there break starts?

she said tomorrow is the last day of classes, but Im sure administrative offices wont close for atleast a week or two after

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:42 am

I wish they would just complete my app, they are the last of all my schools that haven't given me a completion.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:44 am

Notor wrote:I wish they would just complete my app, they are the last of all my schools that haven't given me a completion.

+1

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:49 am

I was told theyre not even through with EA applicants yet and that they plan on being done with them by the end of this month (before leaving on break) and that the first day back from break is when they will start looking at RD apps.

Bleh. At least we know what to expect now.

I was told that there arent many complete apps

I hardly think that's a fair way for them to put it when the've received completed applications they simply haven't processed. Come on Cornell-

Burger in a can wrote:
Notor wrote:I wish they would just complete my app, they are the last of all my schools that haven't given me a completion.

+1

+2

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 am

So this has probably come up in the 72 pages of discussion thus far, but now that I've been held over to RD, will they reset the status checker, or is the thing useless from now on?

dlf9210

Postby dlf9210 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:30 am

So from reviewing LSN profiles from last year's cycle it seems as though if you get accepted, you get a notification email after "decision" as well as an acceptance package a few days later. Can anyone confirm this? If you see "decision" but receive no email, does that mean rejected?

Also, thank you for all your posts. I have officially become addicted to this thread, as I've just read through all 72 pages :oops:

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 am

still at EA complete 10/1....as of 6:36 PST this morning :mrgreen:

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:46 am

this is officially becoming torture. please let decisions go through today!

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rsg87 wrote:I finally got the deferred letter today. 171/3.8

jesus

+1

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 pm

tintin wrote:still at EA complete 10/1....as of 6:36 PST this morning :mrgreen:

It does just make you wanna smile all toothy-like doesn't it?! :mrgreen:

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:29 pm

tintin wrote:still at EA complete 10/1....as of 6:36 PST this morning :mrgreen:

+1

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

I was told theyre not even through with EA applicants yet and that they plan on being done with them by the end of this month (before leaving on break) and that the first day back from break is when they will start looking at RD apps. I was told that there arent many complete apps and that mine will prob be in the handful of apps that get decisions on that first day back--I missed the EA deadline by a few days.

When did you send your app, exactly?

November 4th.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Sigh. I love Cornell regardless, but I imagine all this deferral business could really frustrate/turn some people off to the school.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Sigh. I love Cornell regardless, but I imagine all this deferral business could really frustrate/turn some people off to the school.

Maybe they're trying to weed out hypersensitive people.

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Sigh. I love Cornell regardless, but I imagine all this deferral business could really frustrate/turn some people off to the school.

that's what we'd like to think. lol

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

I had a dream about Cornell last night... they wanted me to interview and send them updated information, including information about the Black Student Union at my undergrad. Only, I'm not Black, nor have I ever been in the Black Student Union. You can imagine the panic and consternation this caused me at 4:00 this morning.

(I guess that's what happens when you reread your app the night before reassuring yourself that they will indeed like what they see)

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Hoping for ultra super duper extra holistic approach... :mrgreen:

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm

cougarlive wrote:I had a dream about Cornell last night... they wanted me to interview and send them updated information, including information about the Black Student Union at my undergrad. Only, I'm not Black, nor have I ever been in the Black Student Union. You can imagine the panic and consternation this caused me at 4:00 this morning.

(I guess that's what happens when you reread your app the night before reassuring yourself that they will indeed like what they see)

LOL

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Nope. I'm still at EA Complete.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Seriously though. Why did they just defer a bunch of people and then sit on their asses? O_O

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Seriously though. Why did they just defer a bunch of people and then sit on their asses? O_O

Preparing to reject a bunch of other people? :D

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

I think they have made decisions already for a lot of us, but that they are waiting for some arbitrary date to release the first wave. If I were to make predictions, which I never do (looks around for bloody thirsty Berkeley people), the first wave is being delayed by an increase in apps, so maybe next week.

I am not including the deferral wave as the first wave only because it is so odd that I have no idea what to think of it.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

vasiok wrote:
tintin wrote:still at EA complete 10/15....as of 11:59 EST this morning :mrgreen:

+2

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:25 pm

A bunch of people, some of them in this thread, clearly don't consider Cornell a top choice. They are going off to Michigan or Chicago or wherever, and I don't blame a school as tiny as Cornell for deferring them. Maybe it's YP for USNWR purposes, but maybe it's also trying to admit people who will actually be likely to come.

Obviously this doesn't explain a lot of the people deferred, who are pretty square on the numbers. But the number of people for whom Cornell is not even worth banging out a quick LOCI shows that some of the deferrals were a good idea.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:32 pm

NayBoer wrote:A bunch of people, some of them in this thread, clearly don't consider Cornell a top choice. They are going off to Michigan or Chicago or wherever, and I don't blame a school as tiny as Cornell for deferring them. Maybe it's YP for USNWR purposes, but maybe it's also trying to admit people who will actually be likely to come.

Obviously this doesn't explain a lot of the people deferred, who are pretty square on the numbers. But the number of people for whom Cornell is not even worth banging out a quick LOCI shows that some of the deferrals were a good idea.

Ok, but why a massive wave of deferrals? Why not waitlist people? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient way to communicate their intent?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”