Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dignan

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 pm

crackberry wrote:
hv1 wrote:can anyone blame cornell for deferring people who this was just a fallback for??

No, but they're deferring all sorts of people. They can't assume they will fill their entire class with 168-170, 3.6-3.9s. There just aren't enough of those specific numbers to go around.

Plus, they're currently deferring people with 168-170, 3.6-3.9 numbers. I'm not sure what Cornell is doing, but it's definitely not pure yield protection. (YP might be an element of the strategy, but it doesn't fully explain what we're seeing.)

As we keep saying, we'll know more once we see the kind of people they admit under EA.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
hv1 wrote:can anyone blame cornell for deferring people who this was just a fallback for??

No, but they're deferring all sorts of people. They can't assume they will fill their entire class with 168-170, 3.6-3.9s. There just aren't enough of those specific numbers to go around.

Plus, they're currently deferring people with 168-170, 3.6-3.9 numbers. I'm not sure what Cornell is doing, but it's definitely not pure yield protection. (YP might be an element of the strategy, but it doesn't fully explain what we're seeing.)

As we keep saying, we'll know more once we see the kind of people they admit under EA.

watch it be the rest of the 168-170, 3.6-3.9 numbers that are left...

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

The day that crackberry gets deferred is the day I will jump on the Cornell is YPing wagon.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 pm

crackberry wrote:

lol, def not a fall back for me

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:16 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

The day that crackberry gets deferred is the day I will jump on the Cornell is YPing wagon.

Haha well let's hope that day doesn't come, but if it does I will respectfully withdraw my name from consideration. I won't play their "we'll-review-you-again-in-2014" game.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:22 pm

I have a feeling there's going to be another round of deferrals before acceptances. If none of those who went complete after 11/5 have received decisions yet? It only stands to reason, right?

I'm refusing to check my status anymore - since I'll have to wait for the mailman for my fate anyway. SIGH.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 pm

krispykitten wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
Edit: but some overwhelming feeling I have keeps telling me I was selected due to my incredible softs, but only time will tell.

Stats?

3.75/below 25th lsat

march319

Postby march319 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Just had two heartattacks in 30 seconds. Opened my mailbox and saw a big white envelope and got super excited because I thought it was from Cornell. It was actually from a brochure from another random school. Then I was looking through the rest of my mail and saw a normal sized envelope from Cornell and I thought it was deferral. Turns out it was a letter from the Cornell museum (I'm a Cornell alum)..... Please for my sanity let's have some real decisions tomorrow!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
najumobi wrote:on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:

Shocking, perhaps, but this confirms the prevailing theory. If these numbers are a reliable indication, that guy is getting into Duke, Michigan, Penn, and possibly Chicago. Something tells me that Cornell would have a hard time courting him to attend. Now, if February rolls around and that guy's LSAC account still says he has not committed to attending any school, Cornell might take a shot and admit the guy, thinking that he has either been rolled at all of the schools he "should" have gotten into, or that he is waiting on Cornell's response (which to Cornell, might be a good sign). The moment the guy gets into a higher ranked school, I'm guessing Cornell sends out the "We regret to inform", or, a scholarship package.

Just a theory.

Another theory is that people with the 170s and high GPAs are showing Cornell as much "deferral" as Cornell is showing them. If an applicant doesn't bother with the 3 line Why Cornell or writes a PS that is clearly tailored for a different program, maybe Cornell is putting them off for now since the proper enthusiasm was never there?

-HL

+10

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 pm

already offered this on the Berkeley thread... but if you need a distraction...

From The National Law Journal - about how law schools game the US News & World Report rankings.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 pm

For some odd reason, despite all those they've already deferred, I think I'll be admitted. Not that I think I'm more talented than everyone else here or have a better app package, just a gut feeling.

Doesn't really matter, I won't be heartbroken if I get differed.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:25 pm

still at EAC since 10/7

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 pm

march319 wrote:Just had two heartattacks in 30 seconds. Opened my mailbox and saw a big white envelope and got super excited because I thought it was from Cornell. It was actually from a brochure from another random school. Then I was looking through the rest of my mail and saw a normal sized envelope from Cornell and I thought it was deferral. Turns out it was a letter from the Cornell museum (I'm a Cornell alum)..... Please for my sanity let's have some real decisions tomorrow!

lol, this happened to me today with a small envelope from Berkeley (my alma mater). Thought they'd rejected me - turned out to be a fund-raising letter for the library. Schools should lay off the alumni mail for those of us currently applying to their law schools. :P

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:27 pm

march319 wrote:Just had two heartattacks in 30 seconds. Opened my mailbox and saw a big white envelope and got super excited because I thought it was from Cornell. It was actually from a brochure from another random school. Then I was looking through the rest of my mail and saw a normal sized envelope from Cornell and I thought it was deferral. Turns out it was a letter from the Cornell museum (I'm a Cornell alum)..... Please for my sanity let's have some real decisions tomorrow!

Omg, that's awful. I hope you get better (and real) news soon!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:For some odd reason, despite all those they've already deferred, I think I'll be admitted. Not that I think I'm more talented than everyone else here or have a better app package, just a gut feeling.

Doesn't really matter, I won't be heartbroken if I get differed.

not to get all sentimental, but the power of positive thinking goes along way.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 pm

gymboree wrote:already offered this on the Berkeley thread... but if you need a distraction...

From The National Law Journal - about how law schools game the US News & World Report rankings.

I enjoyed reading the article, but I fear that now is a time when most of us don't wanna read something like that.. or at least shouldn't be... whatever happens happens, now it's out of our hands what the adcoms decide

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:04 pm

SanBun wrote:
gymboree wrote:already offered this on the Berkeley thread... but if you need a distraction...

I enjoyed reading the article, but I fear that now is a time when most of us don't wanna read something like that.. or at least shouldn't be... whatever happens happens, now it's out of our hands what the adcoms decide

Maybe someday TLS will be big enough it can make it's own rankings - based on rep among TLSers. Then F USNWR - does anyone actually read that to get info on news in the US or reports about the world?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:26 pm

ruleser wrote:Maybe someday TLS will be big enough it can make it's own rankings - based on rep among TLSers. Then F USNWR - does anyone actually read that to get info on news in the US or reports about the world?

No, it is a GOP rag and totally worthless for news. Might as well be the print edition of Fox News.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 pm

ruleser wrote:Maybe someday TLS will be big enough it can make it's own rankings - based on rep among TLSers. Then F USNWR - does anyone actually read that to get info on news in the US or reports about the world?

I like the way you think.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Are you guys sending LOCI?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:16 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Are you guys sending LOCI?

I will be, along with another LOR.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
Edit: but some overwhelming feeling I have keeps telling me I was selected due to my incredible softs, but only time will tell.

Stats?

3.75/below 25th lsat

Similar stats and I feel the same way. Maybe they're securing their URMs and non-trads before anyone else?

march319

Postby march319 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:49 pm

robin600 wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:

Stats?

3.75/below 25th lsat

Similar stats and I feel the same way. Maybe they're securing their URMs and non-trads before anyone else?

They don't seem to be securing URMs. They deferred a black male URM with a 160/3.5GPA, even though they've taken black male URMs in the past with 150+. I'm a black male URM so we'll see what happens when I receive my decision.

ankit

Postby ankit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Are you guys sending LOCI?

I will be, along with another LOR.

Not me, but will just let them know that I'd be happy to be considered again in the RD pool. I have neither the energy nor inclination for a LOCI, and getting another LOR where I work is next to impossible. People have already checked out for the year....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”