Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Helmholtz

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
najumobi wrote:on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:

Shocking, perhaps, but this confirms the prevailing theory. If these numbers are a reliable indication, that guy is getting into Duke, Michigan, Penn, and possibly Chicago. Something tells me that Cornell would have a hard time courting him to attend. Now, if February rolls around and that guy's LSAC account still says he has not committed to attending any school, Cornell might take a shot and admit the guy, thinking that he has either been rolled at all of the schools he "should" have gotten into, or that he is waiting on Cornell's response (which to Cornell, might be a good sign). The moment the guy gets into a higher ranked school, I'm guessing Cornell sends out the "We regret to inform", or, a scholarship package.

Just a theory.

The problem with the theory is that Cornell is deferring applicants of every stripe: applicants below the medians, slightly below the medians, at the medians, slightly above the medians, and way over the medians. So far, I cannot discern a pattern. What is most likely is that, because the number of EA applications is significantly up, Cornell is able to be more selective this cycle and is looking more closely at non-numeric factors, at least at this early stage.

Later this month, once all the EA acceptances are out, we'll be able to determine if Cornell is, in particular, disfavoring applicants with high numbers. For now, though, I don't think we have enough data to indicate a pattern.

I don't know what soft factors they're looking at, they've already deferred a few who have multiple T10 acceptances. It's not like they were just deferring the high numbers/no softs type of people, as far as I can tell. Oh well, I'll probably hang on. I shot them an e-mail last night requesting to be put in the RD pool, we'll see where it goes from there.

autumn80

Postby autumn80 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Dignan wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
najumobi wrote:on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:

Shocking, perhaps, but this confirms the prevailing theory. If these numbers are a reliable indication, that guy is getting into Duke, Michigan, Penn, and possibly Chicago. Something tells me that Cornell would have a hard time courting him to attend. Now, if February rolls around and that guy's LSAC account still says he has not committed to attending any school, Cornell might take a shot and admit the guy, thinking that he has either been rolled at all of the schools he "should" have gotten into, or that he is waiting on Cornell's response (which to Cornell, might be a good sign). The moment the guy gets into a higher ranked school, I'm guessing Cornell sends out the "We regret to inform", or, a scholarship package.

Just a theory.

The problem with the theory is that Cornell is deferring applicants of every stripe: applicants below the medians, slightly below the medians, at the medians, slightly above the medians, and way over the medians. So far, I cannot discern a pattern. What is most likely is that, because the number of EA applications is significantly up, Cornell is able to be more selective this cycle and is looking more closely at non-numeric factors, at least at this early stage.

Later this month, once all the EA acceptances are out, we'll be able to determine if Cornell is, in particular, disfavoring applicants with high numbers. For now, though, I don't think we have enough data to indicate a pattern.

Do schools know where you've applied/been accepted? Or just whether you've committed?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:11 pm

autumn80 wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Just a theory.

Do schools know where you've applied/been accepted? Or just whether you've committed?

Just where you put a seat deposit. That is why some schools ask where you have applied--or else they wouldn't know.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:12 pm

cougarlive wrote:Just where you put a seat deposit. That is why some schools ask where you have applied--or else they wouldn't know.
I think even then they don't know who has multiple deposits until mid June.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Anymore updates today?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Can someone remind me how the admitted student's link worked last year? Did it show up on the status checker as soon as someone who was admitted went to decision? Any idea if that is going to happen this year?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 pm

cougarlive wrote:Can someone remind me how the admitted student's link worked last year? Did it show up on the status checker as soon as someone who was admitted went to decision? Any idea if that is going to happen this year?

Yes, it did, and more than likely, it's not going to happen this year. The Cornell office last year admitted it was a glitch in the system and it was fixed later in the app cycle.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Maybe I'll finally get my letter today?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goreman

Postby goreman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Can someone remind me how the admitted student's link worked last year? Did it show up on the status checker as soon as someone who was admitted went to decision? Any idea if that is going to happen this year?

Yes, it did, and more than likely, it's not going to happen this year. The Cornell office last year admitted it was a glitch in the system and it was fixed later in the app cycle.

There's also an admitted students site on the normal admissions website for all to see. Maybe they've gone away from the exclusive admitted students site and just left it open for everybody. I wouldn't count on a special link on your status checker.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:52 pm

sharthree wrote:My status checker still says decision even though they told me they would change it back to complete after my interview. Sad face.

how did the interview go? do you think they were trying to gauge how much you were interested in attending?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm

sharthree wrote:My status checker still says decision even though they told me they would change it back to complete after my interview. Sad face.

Do you live near Ithaca? Wondering how far they asked you to travel for your interview.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frix0803

Postby frix0803 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

any news today?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

frix0803 wrote:any news today?

+1. Has anyone gotten DR since 11/24?

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:46 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Nothing here Still at EA complete as of 10/29.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:47 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

also still EA complete since 10/2. not sure what the deal is...

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Also EA complete, 10/28. It means we weren't deferred in the first batch.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Also EA complete, 10/28. It means we weren't deferred in the first batch.

that's something, i guess. hoping something =/= auto-ding.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't know what to think at this point. On the one hand, I'm still at "Early Action Complete," so no deferral yet. BUT I only went complete on 11/13, so maybe they just haven't gotten to me yet? :(

At least I know I'm not in the YP crowd - with my numbers, Cornell was basically my only realistic shot at the T14. SIGH.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Thought I would join the fun. Went EAC 11/13, still waiting!

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:04 pm

still EA complete from 11/16

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:that's something, i guess. hoping something =/= auto-ding.

danidancer wrote:At least I know I'm not in the YP crowd - with my numbers, Cornell was basically my only realistic shot at the T14. SIGH.

+1 to both of these.

EAC 11/13 and holding.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Last edited by jks289 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”