Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 am

galahad85 wrote:#2 and #3 contradict each other.


Nice one. Unfortunately, #1 and #2 are very nearly contradictory too as Republican presidents have been more willing to scale back funding for novel physics projects than Democrats. A few years ago, Fermilab was on the cusp of developing a new method for detecting the Higgs Boson, and Bush chopped funding for the project. If I were God-fearing, I would be scared too: Discovering the Higgs Boson particle will likely mean discovering the true, natural origin of mass. Veritas.

The last time a president gave funding for a mega-physics discovery was when the president commissioned a few scientists at the U of C to develop and execute the world's first nuclear reaction. Shortly thereafter, Enrico Fermi was toasting a glass of champagne with his fellow scientists underground, beneath the football field, having sustained the first controlled nuclear reaction on that site. When asked why everyone looked so somber in the photos, one of the scientists replied that in the moment there was a feeling of great glee, but a feeling of immense dread as well, as they knew the world had been changed forever, and not solely for the greater good.

Little did the scientists (including Fermi himself) know that the government had secretly planted explosive-resistant recording devices around the University of Chicago's campus. The government was worried that the reaction might terminate in catastrophe, bringing a quick end to America's newest great university. Likewise, researchers are worried that the Large Hadron Collider might create a black hole, which might devour the earth. In fact, small black holes are probably going to be created, but not one that is large enough to devour the planet. To be sure, they have conducted probability analyses on the likelihood that such an event might occur.

If it does, then #3 and #1 are possibly contradictory as well. :lol:

-HL
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:28 am

SanBun wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.


YES I agree! Cornell is being annoying, just because 'they can'. grrr.


Allow me to debunk the theory that all EA applicants will be deferred. I checked "No" for EA and Cornell contacted me to ask if I wanted to be EA, which means moving me from the 2nd group to the 1st group of applicants. If they were to defer me as well, then I would be sent back the my original standing, the 2nd group. Logically, this makes absolutely zero sense. Regardless, anyone still at EA Complete, like myself, is probably in good shape, especially if you like your chances of acceptance!!

User avatar
burtonrideclub
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby burtonrideclub » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:42 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
SanBun wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.


YES I agree! Cornell is being annoying, just because 'they can'. grrr.


Allow me to debunk the theory that all EA applicants will be deferred. I checked "No" for EA and Cornell contacted me to ask if I wanted to be EA, which means moving me from the 2nd group to the 1st group of applicants. If they were to defer me as well, then I would be sent back the my original standing, the 2nd group. Logically, this makes absolutely zero sense. Regardless, anyone still at EA Complete, like myself, is probably in good shape, especially if you like your chances of acceptance!!


And if you don't like your chances? Guess they have to release a batch of rejects eventually haha

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby panda » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 am

galahad85 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
galahad85 wrote:False predictions = Death


I'm not afraid.

Here are some more predictions:

1. The University of Chicago's Fermilab will discover the Higgs Boson "God" particle before the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland does, adding to our very long list of Nobel Prize winners. :P

2. A Republican president will win in 2012. (Note: These predictions aren't based on personal wishes.)

3. The world will NOT end in 2012.

4. UCLA Law will crack the Top 14 in the next five years.

5. There will be at least THREE substances, chemicals, etc. that we currently expose ourselves regularly to that are found to be cancer causing, though we aren't aware of them yet.

And I have many more, and I am confident in all of my predictions.

-HL


#2 and #3 contradict each other.


haha.. 180. touche.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby billyez » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 am

*sigh* Confirmation of the liberal tendency of my chosen profession right before my eyes....

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
SanBun wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.


YES I agree! Cornell is being annoying, just because 'they can'. grrr.


Allow me to debunk the theory that all EA applicants will be deferred. I checked "No" for EA and Cornell contacted me to ask if I wanted to be EA, which means moving me from the 2nd group to the 1st group of applicants. If they were to defer me as well, then I would be sent back the my original standing, the 2nd group. Logically, this makes absolutely zero sense. Regardless, anyone still at EA Complete, like myself, is probably in good shape, especially if you like your chances of acceptance!!

They did that for everyone that checked no and was complete before the EA deadline. Some of those people have already been deferred I believe.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:00 am

crackberry wrote:They did that for everyone that checked no and was complete before the EA deadline. Some of those people have already been deferred I believe.

+1 Kind of weird no - can we review you now? Ok, thanks, we've decided to review you later.

I think there'll be some accepts/rejects/WL's for EA though...

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 am

crackberry wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
SanBun wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.


YES I agree! Cornell is being annoying, just because 'they can'. grrr.


Allow me to debunk the theory that all EA applicants will be deferred. I checked "No" for EA and Cornell contacted me to ask if I wanted to be EA, which means moving me from the 2nd group to the 1st group of applicants. If they were to defer me as well, then I would be sent back the my original standing, the 2nd group. Logically, this makes absolutely zero sense. Regardless, anyone still at EA Complete, like myself, is probably in good shape, especially if you like your chances of acceptance!!

They did that for everyone that checked no and was complete before the EA deadline. Some of those people have already been deferred I believe.


Then I stand corrected, however, that is illogical to say the least.

Edit: but some overwhelming feeling I have keeps telling me I was selected due to my incredible softs, but only time will tell.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby krispykitten » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
Edit: but some overwhelming feeling I have keeps telling me I was selected due to my incredible softs, but only time will tell.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
polydolly
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby polydolly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 am

To clarify...

Is this thread only about EAs, or should RDs be seeing movement too?

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 am

galahad85 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
galahad85 wrote:False predictions = Death


I'm not afraid.

Here are some more predictions:

1. The University of Chicago's Fermilab will discover the Higgs Boson "God" particle before the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland does, adding to our very long list of Nobel Prize winners. :P

2. A Republican president will win in 2012. (Note: These predictions aren't based on personal wishes.)

3. The world will NOT end in 2012.

4. UCLA Law will crack the Top 14 in the next five years.

5. There will be at least THREE substances, chemicals, etc. that we currently expose ourselves regularly to that are found to be cancer causing, though we aren't aware of them yet.

And I have many more, and I am confident in all of my predictions.

-HL


#2 and #3 contradict each other.


I'm not sure about that, but... it's just as likely that a Democrat is elected president in 2012 and the world ends the same year. (Ignoring the fact that either candidate wouldn't be sworn in until 2013,) aren't both parties in favor of increasing the war budget?

Plus, you know, giant meteors and sh!t...

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 am

OBTW, dreaded deferral received tonight. Mail held hostage by nameless roommate until a late hour. "11/24" tattooed upon my sole so that I may tread upon it for all eternity.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby krispykitten » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:47 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:OBTW, dreaded deferral received tonight. Mail held hostage by nameless roommate until a late hour. "11/24" tattooed upon my sole so that I may tread upon it for all eternity.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:51 am

krispykitten wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:OBTW, dreaded deferral received tonight. Mail held hostage by nameless roommate until a late hour. "11/24" tattooed upon my sole so that I may tread upon it for all eternity.


*hug* -- that is if Rambo does hugs. At least it's not a rejection and you're in really awesome company.


To be honest, I'm not Rambo. I'm just his typist. Once in a while he will pop in and post for himself, but usually he's too busy surviving this crazy world. He appreciates your comforting gesture.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 am

SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
tintin wrote:
swc65 wrote:So i had my interview with Cornell today and it went well.

I also spoke the dean of admissions about all this deferral business. He explained that there has been a significant uptick in applications (16%). he also said that they were not sure if it was just people applying earlier or more people or what. he also said that during the last recession they ended up with too many students and did not have enough room for them. They are trying to avoid that this year!


sounds like they will probably be trying to raise their #s too if they really do have that many more applicants. interesting, thanks for this info!


Yeah, but still. Deferring a 175/3.7? I mean what are they waiting for?


Prevailing theory so far is they defer people who the know will get into other top schools. They will probably more likely scoop up people for EA who are median/ above and will likely not get into better schools so they can lock them in early. Would make perfect sense to me, but we'll see. Still complete since 11/14.


Assuming that's the case, Cornell should be snapping up all the 3.7x/168 applicants who can't get into any other T14, since those with higher GPAs would get into Virginia/Michigan/Berkeley/GULC and a 169 would get you into Duke. After all, it would be darn near impossible to raise your median LSAT to a 169 with just a 16% increase in applications.

alexyoshi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby alexyoshi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:19 am

EA complete from 10/15 holding on for dear life

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Dtackpat75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:26 am

I have been complete since 10/1/2009 and submitted 9/1. It seems like sooooo long ago.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 am

12 more days till decision/deffer time!!!!

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby missvik218 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

Waiting on a rejection but waiting none-the-less so I thought I'd chime in! :D

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am

I mean...I'm at one median and above another. If the theory above is true, that doesn't really explain me.

laolbjob
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby laolbjob » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:36 am

A thread of almost 70 pages but no one's gotten in.. crazy :cry: ...

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby najumobi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 pm

on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:28 pm

najumobi wrote:on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:


Shocking, perhaps, but this confirms the prevailing theory. If these numbers are a reliable indication, that guy is getting into Duke, Michigan, Penn, and possibly Chicago. Something tells me that Cornell would have a hard time courting him to attend. Now, if February rolls around and that guy's LSAC account still says he has not committed to attending any school, Cornell might take a shot and admit the guy, thinking that he has either been rolled at all of the schools he "should" have gotten into, or that he is waiting on Cornell's response (which to Cornell, might be a good sign). The moment the guy gets into a higher ranked school, I'm guessing Cornell sends out the "We regret to inform", or, a scholarship package.

Just a theory.

Another theory is that people with the 170s and high GPAs are showing Cornell as much "deferral" as Cornell is showing them. If an applicant doesn't bother with the 3 line Why Cornell or writes a PS that is clearly tailored for a different program, maybe Cornell is putting them off for now since the proper enthusiasm was never there?

-HL

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I mean...I'm at one median and above another. If the theory above is true, that doesn't really explain me.
But you're retaking Sat. Not really surprised they'd defer you, even if you already have the numbers.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
najumobi wrote:on lsn a guy with a 170, 3.78 just indicated he was deferred. :shock:


Shocking, perhaps, but this confirms the prevailing theory. If these numbers are a reliable indication, that guy is getting into Duke, Michigan, Penn, and possibly Chicago. Something tells me that Cornell would have a hard time courting him to attend. Now, if February rolls around and that guy's LSAC account still says he has not committed to attending any school, Cornell might take a shot and admit the guy, thinking that he has either been rolled at all of the schools he "should" have gotten into, or that he is waiting on Cornell's response (which to Cornell, might be a good sign). The moment the guy gets into a higher ranked school, I'm guessing Cornell sends out the "We regret to inform", or, a scholarship package.

Just a theory.

The problem with the theory is that Cornell is deferring applicants of every stripe: applicants below the medians, slightly below the medians, at the medians, slightly above the medians, and way over the medians. So far, I cannot discern a pattern. What is most likely is that, because the number of EA applications is significantly up, Cornell is able to be more selective this cycle and is looking more closely at non-numeric factors, at least at this early stage.

Later this month, once all the EA acceptances are out, we'll be able to determine if Cornell is, in particular, disfavoring applicants with high numbers. For now, though, I don't think we have enough data to indicate a pattern.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests