Cornell waiting room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SanBun

Silver

Re: Cornell waiting room

Post by SanBun » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:25 pm

krispykitten wrote:
tintin wrote:
swc65 wrote:So i had my interview with Cornell today and it went well.

I also spoke the dean of admissions about all this deferral business. He explained that there has been a significant uptick in applications (16%). he also said that they were not sure if it was just people applying earlier or more people or what. he also said that during the last recession they ended up with too many students and did not have enough room for them. They are trying to avoid that this year!
sounds like they will probably be trying to raise their #s too if they really do have that many more applicants. interesting, thanks for this info!
Yeah, but still. Deferring a 175/3.7? I mean what are they waiting for?
Prevailing theory so far is they defer people who the know will get into other top schools. They will probably more likely scoop up people for EA who are median/ above and will likely not get into better schools so they can lock them in early. Would make perfect sense to me, but we'll see. Still complete since 11/14.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:29 pm

SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote: Yeah, but still. Deferring a 175/3.7? I mean what are they waiting for?
Prevailing theory so far is they defer people who the know will get into other top schools. They will probably more likely scoop up people for EA who are median/ above and will likely not get into better schools so they can lock them in early. Would make perfect sense to me, but we'll see. Still complete since 11/14.
Also I'm sure there are others who they haven't deferred yet with equally high GPA and LSAT combination.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

finalaspects wrote:
SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote: Yeah, but still. Deferring a 175/3.7? I mean what are they waiting for?
Also I'm sure there are others who they haven't deferred yet with equally high GPA and LSAT combination.
I have not heard yet but 173/3.8. It wouldnt make sense to defer that person and accept me.. So I dont know what to expect.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just got off the phone with Cornell. They will be accepting nobody this year in an attempt to make them appear "hard to get." hth
Neg them imo.
Oh yes, this certainly is a nice law library. It's like Michigan's reading room rendered on Nintendo 64.

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:32 pm

SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
tintin wrote:
swc65 wrote:So i had my interview with Cornell today and it went well.

I also spoke the dean of admissions about all this deferral business. He explained that there has been a significant uptick in applications (16%). he also said that they were not sure if it was just people applying earlier or more people or what. he also said that during the last recession they ended up with too many students and did not have enough room for them. They are trying to avoid that this year!
sounds like they will probably be trying to raise their #s too if they really do have that many more applicants. interesting, thanks for this info!
Yeah, but still. Deferring a 175/3.7? I mean what are they waiting for?
Right, but according to the logic in this mini-thread here they're deferring a ton of people because they're attempting to raise their margins. So you think they're trying to simultaneously yield protect AND raise margins? So maybe their targets are 170-172s?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote: I have not heard yet but 173/3.8. It wouldnt make sense to defer that person and accept me.. So I dont know what to expect.
You may have other softs and certain qualities that cornell wants more than others. And those deferred does not mean they'll get rejected in the end, they may very well get accepted as well.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 pm

krispykitten wrote:
Right, but according to the logic in this mini-thread here they're deferring a ton of people because they're attempting to raise their margins. So you think they're trying to simultaneously yield protect AND raise margins? So maybe their targets are 170-172s?
Yes, I believe they are YPing while admitting people above median. Given they have deferred a lot of above 75th, they are probably aiming for an increase by admitting a lot of people b/w median and 75th.
Also people keep in mind, increase in apps does not always mean increase in qualified apps. I'd say about 80- 90% of people don't get a competitive LSAT score without devoted prep, so while there is a 16% increase in apps it might only translate to a 6% increase in qualified apps, for example. Personally know two people at my college who applied to LS after they figured out in September they are probably not getting a consulting job, so yeah, probably lots of spontaneous apps

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

My DS was about my struggle growing up with an extreme allergic reaction to snow. That might have been what did me in.

march319

New

Post by march319 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I tried to do a search but can't find anything on this from last year or from 2007. Can someone take a look also? Can someone find out if everyone got deferred all at once last year followed my acceptances/rejections in a batch? Anything other than this one thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=75

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 pm

SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
Yes, I believe they are YPing while admitting people above median. Given they have deferred a lot of above 75th, they are probably aiming for an increase by admitting a lot of people b/w median and 75th.
Also people keep in mind, increase in apps does not always mean increase in qualified apps. I'd say about 80- 90% of people don't get a competitive LSAT score without devoted prep, so while there is a 16% increase in apps it might only translate to a 6% increase in qualified apps, for example. Personally know two people at my college who applied to LS after they figured out in September they are probably not getting a consulting job, so yeah, probably lots of spontaneous apps
Good point. Maybe they'll show some 169/3.48 love. But yeah, that's so true -- increase in apps =/= increase in qualified apps. I tend to forget that.

lhfan

New

Post by lhfan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Deferred...oh well

floppymex

Bronze

Post by floppymex » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Long time lurker, first time caller...

Got the DR 11/24 last Friday, and was hoping to beat the odds on being Deferred. Checked the mail today, and yup, like everyone else... deferred. Oh well, Cooley here I come.

URM
LSAT: >75 %tile
GPA: <25 %tile

Got the URM splitter-thing going on, and this cycle and the moral demise of Tiger Woods is not making me feel good about mankind. :(

march319

New

Post by march319 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 pm

So has it been conclusively proven that a 11/20 or 11/24 DR means a deferral?

Good luck to everyone though!!!! Many of you will get in through Regular Decision!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

march319 wrote:So has it been conclusively proven that a 11/20 or 11/24 DR means a deferral?
We're about 99.9% sure.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Gah. Can I get a pep talk? Anyone feeling chipper?

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Gah. Can I get a pep talk? Anyone feeling chipper?
You're good enough! You're smart enough! And doggone it, people like you!

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Mosca wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Gah. Can I get a pep talk? Anyone feeling chipper?
You're good enough! You're smart enough! And doggone it, people like you!
Just gotta hope people = Adcom

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Not bad. I'm now motivated enough to drink, at least. To the bar!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:58 pm

What I can't figure out is why Cornell doesn't just replace EA with ED and do away with this EA YP garbage?
Last edited by danidancer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:10 pm

I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:15 pm

Kakarot wrote:I've gotta say, this thread has really turned me off to Cornell. Massive putting off of applicants. Don't offer a program if you have no intention of using it. I certainly wouldn't go there without first talking to a bunch of students, to see if admissions and teaching is run the same.
YES I agree! Cornell is being annoying, just because 'they can'. grrr.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starlight007

New

Post by starlight007 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 pm

my status checker is not working WTF.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 pm

starlight007 wrote:my status checker is not working WTF.
uh oh, auto-ding

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Veritas wrote:
starlight007 wrote:my status checker is not working WTF.
uh oh, auto-ding
I was going to go with a "omg omg omg!!! You're in!!!!!!!," but thought it cruel.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Got the deferral letter today - actually very good news for me - last year I was straight ding, never even got WL. "...please understand that this action does not mean that you have been denied admission;you will be given full consideration as part of our regular applicant pool... Congratulations on your fine record and background...

Much better than last year's straight 'Go away.' Also have good company with the deferral - I really was expecting a ding.

A step in the right direction...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”