Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MC Southstar

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:47 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
Veritas wrote:I'm a psychic and I predict a deferral

I deserve this...

But still, watch your back. I've been itching to click the "foe" button since joining TLS.

You know he's serious roit?

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm thinking the deferrals are due to a big increase in competitive apps this year.. :cry: I'd be shocked if Cornell's median LSAT doesn't go up to 168 this year. Thoughts?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 pm

How long does it generally take to go complete?? Cornell received my application Nov. 6, and I still haven't gone complete. I always submit my apps once I have everything all set, but now I'm worried I somehow missed something? Is this normal? It just seems like such a long time compared to other schools. Are they just busy deferring their EA?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:05 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:I'm thinking the deferrals are due to a big increase in competitive apps this year.. :cry: I'd be shocked if Cornell's median LSAT doesn't go up to 168 this year. Thoughts?

i think this will most likely happen. especially considering their median is low for t14.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:05 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
Veritas wrote:I'm a psychic and I predict a deferral

I deserve this...

But still, watch your back. I've been itching to click the "foe" button since joining TLS.

You know he's serious roit?

Clicking the foe button would on be to your detriment, because then you can't see any of my lovely posts :D

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:26 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:I'm thinking the deferrals are due to a big increase in competitive apps this year.. :cry: I'd be shocked if Cornell's median LSAT doesn't go up to 168 this year. Thoughts?

During my visit I explicitly asked if Cornell would use this cycle to try and increase their median LSAT. The admissions officer I spoke with laughed and played coy about the notion.

In conclusion... +1.

EDIT: grammar
Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Oh... I thought it was more of a rivalry thing. Now that I know you're seriously a psychic, I would never do that.

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:28 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

During my visit I explicitly asked if Cornell would use this cycle to try and increase their median LSAT and the admissions officer I was talking to laughed and played very coy about the notion.

In conclusion... +1.

really.....wow. i guess it would make sense for them to do so, but i wonder if it won't turn people off a lot....

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:29 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

During my visit I explicitly asked if Cornell would use this cycle to try and increase their median LSAT and the admissions officer I was talking to laughed and played very coy about the notion.

In conclusion... +1.

Seems odd that they'd defer so many people with +75th LSATs.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

In conclusion... +1.

Good point. But I'm thinking that the most efficient way to boost a school's LSAT median is to take as many people as they can with numbers above, but really close to the current median (168s and 169s) as these people are good candidates for rejection at higher ranked schools (especially this cycle). Meanwhile, people with say, 170+ might be deferred because these are the folks who stand a good chance at being accepted to a place like Duke, which will probably be looking to boost its median this cycle as well (likewise, i'd expect a bit of YPing at Duke this year, where 175+ get deferred - and indeed, a large number of PTs have been waitlisted this year). It's just a theory, but my guess is that if a school like Cornell tries to make a move this year, so will the schools above it.

Now, if the school were more generous with scholarships then I would expect 170s and up to get big $$ this year, but alas, Cornell does not have a reputation for dishing out the dough..

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

In conclusion... +1.

Agree w/ Helm. Also, you have to consider yield as well. Would they try to raise their LSAT median 1 pt by accepting more competitive students if it meant decreasing yield, maybe even substantially? would seem like a costly trade-off. Plus, would one point really move them up in the rankings at all? Also doubtful.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:47 pm

SanBun wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

In conclusion... +1.

Agree w/ Helm. Also, you have to consider yield as well. Would they try to raise their LSAT median 1 pt by accepting more competitive students if it meant decreasing yield, maybe even substantially? would seem like a costly trade-off. Plus, would one point really move them up in the rankings at all? Also doubtful.

Another thing you have to consider is that while the # of apps goes up, that doesn't necessarily mean the # of qualified apps goes up. I personally know a bunch of ppl who decided to go to law school last minute, due to the recession, and took the LSAT without preparing much- their scores reflected the lack of commitment as compared to someone who has been planning that sort of thing for a long time. Nonetheless, they applied to some top schools, just to "give it a shot". Just a thought.
Last edited by SanBun on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:48 pm

SanBun wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

In conclusion... +1.

Maybe they'll love me cuz I'm a splitter who could raise their LSAT median and not get in anywhere else cuz I suck! :shock:

Or so I hope.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Seems odd that they'd defer so many people with +75th LSATs.

Maybe it's a psychological thing. They're tired of auto-admitting T14-caliber students in early December only to have them swoon over a February acceptance from somewhere in the T10 long after the Cornell admit has lost its luster. :lol:

Seriously though, the deferrals thing has me a bit confused, so I'll retract my +1 but my conversation is truth. He may have just been laughing at the fact that I brought it up at all.

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 pm

>UGPA 75% and >LSAT median, EA Complete since 11/02.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:59 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Maybe it's a psychological thing. They're tired of auto-admitting T14-caliber students in early December only to have them swoon over a February acceptance from somewhere in the T10 long after the Cornell admit has lost its luster. :lol: quote]

This makes a lot of sense, though, along with a desire to push up the median. Defer lots of +75 LSAT people, and others who might go for a T10 school, and flood the admits with 168s and 169s who see Cornell as a reach -- yield will go through the roof and the median will go up.

Now, of course, this: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/midcenturist

...ruins that theory, but hey, nice try, thanks for playing.

Listen, there's probably a very benign reason for all of this. No one's getting admitted, but no one's getting rejected, either. Patience, grasshoppers.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Burger in a can wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I love that you have/took the time to make this. Amazing.

Split5

Postby Split5 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Jacques wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Maybe it's a psychological thing. They're tired of auto-admitting T14-caliber students in early December only to have them swoon over a February acceptance from somewhere in the T10 long after the Cornell admit has lost its luster. :lol: quote]

This makes a lot of sense, though, along with a desire to push up the median. Defer lots of +75 LSAT people, and others who might go for a T10 school, and flood the admits with 168s and 169s who see Cornell as a reach -- yield will go through the roof and the median will go up.

Now, of course, this: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/midcenturist

...ruins that theory, but hey, nice try, thanks for playing.

Listen, there's probably a very benign reason for all of this. No one's getting admitted, but no one's getting rejected, either. Patience, grasshoppers.

If that theory were true there wouldn't be Early Action in the first place. Cornell must believe that their yield rate of top students goes up slightly by admitting them early in the season (perhaps some people who were going to send in the rest of their apps over Christmas will choose to skip a couple with Cornell already in the bag).

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Huh, checked the mail today and still nothing from Cornell. :?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Huh, checked the mail today and still nothing from Cornell. :?

Same here Helm, not sure what's going on.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:

Hey, it may cost $130,000, but if you pay with their exclusive "stretch pay" system, it's only 3 EASY payments of $43,333

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:27 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:

Hey, it may cost $130,000, but if you pay with their exclusive "stretch pay" system, it's only 3 EASY payments of $43,333

haha I should have priced it at $129,999.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:27 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Huh, checked the mail today and still nothing from Cornell. :?

Same here Helm, not sure what's going on.

Me too. Guess it's good to know mail from Ithaca takes at least a week to reach us ...

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Appl
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”